Cold, no coffee shops and riding

Old April 10th 20, 02:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Default Cold, no coffee shops and riding

On 4/9/2020 3:18 PM, James wrote:
On 9/4/20 4:07 am, Tom Kunich wrote:
Did another ride yesterday and will head out on another ride shortly.
Tomorrow forecast is for high winds.

This 22.6 miles without stopping is rather tiring but it also is
improving my Di2 shifting. I now know that the levers have a sweet
spot to be used. Trying them in other spots is likely to get no shift
or a double shift.

Two 90 km rides this week so far.Â* Both were cracking good rides and
included a stop for coffee mid way.Â* The weather was fine and although I
had a slight head wind during the first half, there was a tail wind to
blow me home.

My Campagnolo 10 speed Ergo levers working fine as usual.

In the Bay Area, Starbucks with drive-thrus remain open. Philz is going
to reopen for take-out only.

Old April 10th 20, 02:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Thursday, 9 April 2020 21:05:56 UTC-4, sms wrote:
On 4/9/2020 3:18 PM, James wrote:
On 9/4/20 4:07 am, Tom Kunich wrote:
Did another ride yesterday and will head out on another ride shortly.
Tomorrow forecast is for high winds.

This 22.6 miles without stopping is rather tiring but it also is
improving my Di2 shifting. I now know that the levers have a sweet
spot to be used. Trying them in other spots is likely to get no shift
or a double shift.

Two 90 km rides this week so far.Â* Both were cracking good rides and
included a stop for coffee mid way.Â* The weather was fine and although I
had a slight head wind during the first half, there was a tail wind to
blow me home.

My Campagnolo 10 speed Ergo levers working fine as usual.

In the Bay Area, Starbucks with drive-thrus remain open. Philz is going
to reopen for take-out only.

Drive-thrus are open here at McDonald's and Tim Horton's. The problem is that they will NOT serve anyone on a bicycle or on foot. Thus if you're a bicyclist you're SOL.

Cheers
Old April 10th 20, 02:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On Thu, 9 Apr 2020 17:35:16 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 4/9/2020 3:59 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Wednesday, April 8, 2020 at 11:07:13 AM UTC-7, Tom Kunich wrote:
Did another ride yesterday and will head out on another ride shortly. Tomorrow forecast is for high winds.

This 22.6 miles without stopping is rather tiring but it also is improving my Di2 shifting. I now know that the levers have a sweet spot to be used. Trying them in other spots is likely to get no shift or a double shift.

I have tried to use several of the apps for monitoring distance and average speed. Since this is almost a perfectly flat course it should be the perfect course upon which to test these apps.

Also since I have measured the distance on this course many, many times with actual odometers that have used actual measured tire rollout I know what the distance is down to a couple hundredths of a mile which can be explained by the previse course around turns etc.

Strava burns up a lot of battery power. Why it would do this is somewhat unknown since it is only receiving a GPS transmission and going to a black screen in the normal manner when not being directly poked to keep a display. Aside from this at my latitude it has a repeatable 6% error. It would require a lot of work to find the latitude of the GPS satellites and work it out but I would assume that this is because Strava doesn't correct for latitude.

MapMyRide makes Strava look like the worlds best app. For the 22.6 mile ride it has shown 11.3 miles on one occasion and 5.6 miles on another. Both of these apps were uninstalled with this knowledge.

I will try Garmin Edge devices and on my Emonda it has a direct speed readout for the rear tire. This along with Garmin's 100% accurate clock gives actual distance after proper pairing. I assume this is likely to be better than a front wheel speedo since it doesn't turn across the direction of travel.

The only problem I am leery of is that my brother had two Garmin's and they both ceased working for no reasons. But since I'm buying them new but pre-owned and at half new prices if the don't last long no big deal.

Serious question: I'm curious what people do with all that precise (or
maybe imprecise?) data. I'm not saying you shouldn't do it - but what's
it for?

Well, in my case it is proof that I didn't go any further "down the
hill" than where I was last week :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Old April 10th 20, 02:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 4/9/2020 3:18 PM, James wrote:
[...]

Interesting. In another forum, someone said they were previously
forbidden to bike in a drive-through, but since COVID it's been allowed.

Even when driving, I shun drive throughs. I'd rather get out of the car
just to move around. On a bike, I've used drive throughs only a few
times for banking, but I had no trouble.

As one guy posting here once said, I seem to live in Mayberry. But I
enjoy it.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old April 10th 20, 05:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 4/9/2020 5:15 PM, AMuzi wrote:

Oh, how I miss coffee shops. The Powers That Be here have denied me my
small pleasure.

I make my own coffee, call out my name wrong, light a $5 bill on fire,
and then try to find an empty seat in my house.
Old April 10th 20, 10:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Earls61[_2_]

“I make my own coffee, call out my name wrong, light a $5 bill on fire,
and then try to find an empty seat in my house.â€

That is hilarious! I brew my own and take it along in a thermos that fits in a bottle cage
Old April 10th 20, 01:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thursday, April 9, 2020 at 11:35:17 PM UTC+2, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

To keep track of their performance and manage their intensity. There are people who just like numbers as there are people who like to visit shops with old broken crap.

Lou

Old April 10th 20, 03:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Thursday, April 9, 2020 at 9:05:22 PM UTC-7, sms wrote:
On 4/9/2020 5:15 PM, AMuzi wrote:

Oh, how I miss coffee shops. The Powers That Be here have denied me my
small pleasure.

I make my own coffee, call out my name wrong, light a $5 bill on fire,
and then try to find an empty seat in my house.

Sure, but is it bad coffee? That reminds me. I have to go turn on the espresso machine.

Pro-sumer espresso machines are a whole other world of steam-punk technology. https://www.home-barista.com/forums/.../3959_b3rs.jpg It's like working on a bike with Di2 and hydraulic brakes and boilers.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old April 10th 20, 03:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 4/9/2020 11:05 PM, sms wrote:
On 4/9/2020 5:15 PM, AMuzi wrote:

Oh, how I miss coffee shops. The Powers That Be here have
denied me my small pleasure.

I make my own coffee, call out my name wrong, light a $5
bill on fire, and then try to find an empty seat in my house.

I make espresso but that's not the same thing at all.

Much like the difference between a $99 XMart BSO and a
bicycle. Or between a sex doll and a girlfriend. Consider
this excellent piece of writing:

http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfr...st/OCRTEST.JPG

[I find the best writing in the Letters column]

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old April 10th 20, 03:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 4/9/2020 5:15 PM, AMuzi wrote:

Oh, how I miss coffee shops. The Powers That Be here have denied me my
small pleasure.

I make my own coffee, call out my name wrong, light a $5 bill on fire,
and then try to find an empty seat in my house.

Sure, but is it bad coffee? That reminds me. I have to go turn on the espresso machine.

Pro-sumer espresso machines are a whole other world of steam-punk technology. https://www.home-barista.com/forums/.../3959_b3rs.jpg It's like working on a bike with Di2 and hydraulic brakes and boilers.

Everyone should make his choice but for me, modernity is
frequently overrated. I use this:

https://buymorecoffee.com/wp-content...51844295-1.jpg

YMMV as always or, as the ancients phrased it, de gustibus
non disputandem (est).