shopping

Old April 10th 20, 07:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

Default shopping

We just got back from shopping. Two large stores, each took our
temperature and furnish handwash before entrance and all the check-out
girls were wearing face masks and rubber gloves. Gives a whole new
meaning to the term "filthy lucre" :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Old April 10th 20, 09:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sepp Ruf

John B. wrote:

We just got back from shopping. Two large stores, each took our
temperature and furnish handwash before entrance and all the check-out
girls were wearing face masks and rubber gloves. Gives a whole new
meaning to the term "filthy lucre" :-)

Yes, filthy, because rubber gloves are germ spreaders outside and breeding
chambers inside. As was recently stated, 99% of users do not know to use
them properly, and 90% of instructed medical workers don't use them properly
either (hand disinfection before and after wearing; change gloves after each
source of contamination.)

Were water, handwash soap, towel dispensers activated contact-less?

And how was the stressed low-life stocking the shelves equipped?
Old April 10th 20, 10:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On Fri, 10 Apr 2020 10:14:43 +0200, Sepp Ruf
wrote:

John B. wrote:

We just got back from shopping. Two large stores, each took our
temperature and furnish handwash before entrance and all the check-out
girls were wearing face masks and rubber gloves. Gives a whole new
meaning to the term "filthy lucre" :-)

Yes, filthy, because rubber gloves are germ spreaders outside and breeding
chambers inside. As was recently stated, 99% of users do not know to use
them properly, and 90% of instructed medical workers don't use them properly
either (hand disinfection before and after wearing; change gloves after each
source of contamination.)

Ah yes, but is going bare handed a better solution?

Were water, handwash soap, towel dispensers activated contact-less?

At one there was a plunger operated bottle of hand wash available and
at the other the girl with the thermometer gun gave you a squirt. In
both cases the alcohol based wash.

And how was the stressed low-life stocking the shelves equipped?

Wearing gloves.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old April 10th 20, 11:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

wrote:

John B. wrote:

[...]

Considering how long the Covid19 virus can live on things like plastic I wonder just how much protection to others plastic or latex gloves actually give. I figure if someone wearing touches something that has the virus on it and then touches something else then the virus stands an excellent chance of being spread to that other item.

Cheers
Old April 10th 20, 11:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

wrote:

John B. wrote:

[...]

I have no idea. I suspect it depends on temperature and moisture as
well as material.

But what is the alternative? If the virus can remain alive in "things
like plastic" even a pair of pliers wouldn't be effective.
I suspect that the answer is that one does the best one can.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old April 10th 20, 11:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

wrote:

John B. wrote:

[...]

Which is why I wear a respirator and gloves when shopping and was my canned goods and card boxes well when I get home.

Cheers
Old April 10th 20, 12:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

wrote:

John B. wrote:

[...]

Well, we wear a mask and clean our hands with an alchol cleaner and we
don't buy many cans and boxes :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Old April 10th 20, 01:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sepp Ruf

John B. wrote:

We just got back from shopping. Two large stores, each took our
temperature and furnish handwash before entrance and all the
check-out girls were wearing face masks and rubber gloves. Gives a
whole new meaning to the term "filthy lucre" :-)

Yes, filthy, because rubber gloves are germ spreaders outside and
breeding chambers inside. As was recently stated, 99% of users do
not know to use them properly, and 90% of instructed medical workers
don't use them properly either (hand disinfection before and after
wearing; change gloves after each source of contamination.)

Ah yes, but is going bare handed a better solution?

Sounds counterintuitive, but reportedly yes. External contaminants will
mostly stick to a hand, but plastic gloves will mostly transmit them to the
next object handled.

Were water, handwash soap, towel dispensers activated contact-less?

At one there was a plunger operated bottle of hand wash available and
at the other the girl with the thermometer gun gave you a squirt. In
both cases the alcohol based wash.

And how was the stressed low-life stocking the shelves equipped?

Wearing gloves.

To avoid skin injuries, textile ones are standard. Let's hope these workers
stay healthy -- I'm fine shopping without cashier service because I like to
correctly calculate my bill in my head anyway to shock bored cashier girls,
but empty shelves are a challenge.

I have not heard of either a check-out or a shelf-service worker haven
fallen ill with the virus. If they do, they probably don't get as much
media publicity as a unionized bus driver or cop.

Considering how long the Covid19 virus can live on things like plastic I
wonder just how much protection to others plastic or latex gloves
actually give. I figure if someone wearing touches something that has the
virus on it and then touches something else then the virus stands an
excellent chance of being spread to that other item.

"Don't pick your nose when shopping!" ;-)
Is there any old-time ad recommending cocaine for a nasal discomfort?

I tried gloves, but hand disinfection before packing my paid items turned
out to be the logistical bottleneck. Back to mask, gloveless, and 75%
alcohol now. I wash my cycling gloves and lay them under the high-noon sun
or a "tropical UV" lamp for a while. 60°C washable cycling gloves,
anywhere? In February, I spotted a clever Chinese woman buying the last
pair of one-size (too small after hot wash) cotton gloves in a drug store.
Old April 10th 20, 05:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 4/10/2020 6:51 AM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Friday, 10 April 2020 06:38:30 UTC-4, John B. wrote:

But what is the alternative? If the virus can remain alive in "things
like plastic" even a pair of pliers wouldn't be effective.
I suspect that the answer is that one does the best one can.
--
cheers,

John B.

Which is why I wear a respirator and gloves when shopping and was my canned goods and card boxes well when I get home.

FWIW, last night a local newscaster said "... and be sure to follow the
advice to wipe down your groceries when you get them home."

I thought "Wait - really??" and hit the internet. The first four sites I
hit said it wasn't necessary to do that. I stopped looking at that point.

But I guess that opinion's not unanimous. And YMMV, of course.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old April 10th 20, 05:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 4/10/2020 8:34 AM, Sepp Ruf wrote:
Am 10.04.2020 um 12:29 schrieb Sir Ridesalot:

Ah yes, but is going bare handed a better solution?

Sounds counterintuitive, but reportedly yes. External contaminants will
mostly stick to a hand, but plastic gloves will mostly transmit them to the
next object handled.

BTW, when out riding, I've now seen a few discarded plastic or rubber
gloves at the side of the road. I think those who tosse them should be
permanently quarantined.

I have not heard of either a check-out or a shelf-service worker haven
fallen ill with the virus. If they do, they probably don't get as much
media publicity as a unionized bus driver or cop.

A week or two ago, the pharmacy we use, two blocks from our home, was
marked "Closed for Cleaning." Turns out two of the employees tested
positive for the virus. A few days later it opened with entirely
different (temporary) staff. The familiar ones were all self-quarantining.

All the stores I've been in lately (just 3 or 4) have huge transparent
shields between customers and cashiers. Also, "Six Feet" tape stripes on
the floor.

--
- Frank Krygowski

The No-Shopping Season Joy Beeson General 2 September 19th 14 02:11 AM
Bike SHopping Hank Brandenburg Techniques 0 August 27th 06 12:19 PM
Miyata Shopping unign Unicycling 17 July 23rd 05 11:15 AM
shopping pk UK 19 March 10th 05 11:45 PM
Been shopping? Just zis Guy, you know? UK 5 February 9th 04 11:16 AM