Ambushed !

Old May 10th 20, 08:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Ambushed !

On Sunday, May 10, 2020 at 9:09:47 PM UTC+2, jbeattie wrote:
On Sunday, May 10, 2020 at 10:12:29 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 5/10/2020 12:14 PM, jbeattie wrote:
On Sunday, May 10, 2020 at 8:43:51 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Sunday, May 10, 2020 at 3:40:41 AM UTC-5, John B. wrote:

But, on the other hand, you never need to fill the tank with, what is
it now? $2.00 a gallon gasoline?
--
cheers,

John B.

$1.50 a gallon in the middle of Iowa. Within the past month its been around $1 gallon.

No kidding! Gads, it's still expensive in the PNW. We have no local refining and high taxes, so a big chunk of the price would remain even if oil were zero, which it was. I haven't put gas in my car for a month, but I only use it for trips or going skiing -- rarely commuting. I think my wife has put gas in her car maybe three weeks ago. With the plague, demand has plummeted, and the price crash isn't stimulating demand. I'm sure it will skyrocket when everyone goes back to work.

Our neighborhood is running about $1.60 per gallon right now. I filled
up about two days ago. Like Jay, that was my first time in over a month..

About a week ago, a friend invited us to come ride from her house.
(Usually she rides with us from our house.) So for the first time this
year the bikes and their rack were installed on the roof of the car.

It kind of disappointed me. Partly because it was a very windy day, the
bikes on the roof knocked my mileage down to something like 35 miles per
gallon. Usually it gets around 40.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Dude, two words: hitch rack. https://tinyurl.com/ydgpxsvf Yakima. It's the best, and true or not, that's policy.

-- Jay Beattie.

+1. Never understood why people want to carry bikes on the roof of their car. Yakima the best? I don't know but this is mine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22EsjHI2t7o

Lou
Old May 10th 20, 08:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 5/10/2020 2:29 PM, wrote:
[...]

Looks nice.
http://www.fietsendrager-spinder.nl/...pinder-xplorer

420 Euros

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old May 10th 20, 09:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Roger Merriman[_4_]

sms wrote:
On 5/9/2020 10:52 AM, Tosspot wrote:

snip

Too fast if you ask me.Â* Even unloaded, with Magura MT5s, you can stop
both wheels going around and the rest is physics, even at 20kph type
speeds.Â* Get up to 25, load it up, and those brakes do ****all if you
grab a handful.

I've been using my trailer for cargo. With a $10 trailer hitch per bike
I prefer it to a cargo bike. Last time I used it was for delivering
masks to senior living facilities.

Interesting, my experience with heavy bikes, and one of the companies that
does deliveries via cargo bikes was posting videos of the bike braking
hard, laden, and no difference in braking distance which is my experience
with the commute bike, with a full bar bag, plus rear panniers, is that you
can stop just as easily as unladen, as the weight will stop the bike
lifting its rear.

Roger Merriman

Old May 10th 20, 09:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 5/9/2020 5:13 PM, news18 wrote:
On Sat, 09 May 2020 12:00:34 -0700, sms wrote:

On 5/9/2020 10:52 AM, Tosspot wrote:

snip

Too fast if you ask me.Â* Even unloaded, with Magura MT5s, you can stop
both wheels going around and the rest is physics, even at 20kph type
speeds.Â* Get up to 25, load it up, and those brakes do ****all if you
grab a handful.

I've been using my trailer for cargo. With a $10 trailer hitch per bike
I prefer it to a cargo bike. Last time I used it was for delivering
masks to senior living facilities.

2 wheel or one wheel trailer?
What hitch do you have?

I have two cargo trailers.

An old Burley Cargo Trailer before they cheapened it (both sides of the
wheels supported by the frame. Purchased for $50 from the son of someone
that had bought it in case of Armageddon, and had stored it, brand new,
for years in a storage unit
https://images.immediate.co.uk/production/volatile/sites/21/2019/03/BurleyFlatbedCargoTrailer-16595db.jpg?quality=90&resize=960%2C616

An Ikea Sladda trailer
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71atxim%2BBkL._AC_SL1500_.jpg.
I wanted a trailer with hard sides and bottom, not fabric.

I bought an extra hitch thing for the Ikea trailer so I could use it on
multiple bicycles. The Burley doesn't require a hitch attachment except
on disc brake bicycles.
Old May 10th 20, 10:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 5/10/2020 3:29 PM, wrote:
[...]

Well, I could use a hitch rack. I had one given to me last fall which I
passed on to another friend, but I don't think he's put it to use yet. I
could also use a strap-on rear rack. I think I still have two of those.

One reason for the roof rack is that it's by far best for carrying the
tandem. And I have it set up so it hangs above the car in the garage. I
lower it directly onto the roof, take about two minutes to fasten it
down and it's ready to go.

I've also got two other roof racks stored away. I had customized them to
fit previous cars I've owned, much like I've done with the current one.

But for a lot of rides, I just fold the Bikes Friday and put them inside
the car. This time I wanted to use the Cannondales.

I do tend to balk at spending $400 for yet another rack.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old May 11th 20, 12:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 5/10/2020 12:09 PM, jbeattie wrote:

snip

Dude, two words: hitch rack. https://tinyurl.com/ydgpxsvf Yakima. It's the best, and true or not, that's policy.

If you're not carrying CF frame bicycles there are some good platform
hitch racks that are also less expensive. They support the bicycle by
the frame, not the wheels. Not really suitable for carbon-fiber frames
unless you're really gentle and don't click the foam covered hooks down
too tight.

I have this one:
https://www.performancebike.com/transit-flatbed-2dlx-hitch-rack-xr210-2-bike-40-0175-non-non/p923088
but it was about $120 before Performance went bankrupt. I like that it
folds up small so I can store it in the car when not in use. It may be
made by Thule, not sure, it uses Thule lock cores and I was surprised
that I had Thule keys from my ski rack that were the same lock core number.

I used to be a big fan of roof racks for bicycles, but now I prefer
hitch racks.

What was really fun was putting my tandem onto the top of my 4Runner.
Haven't tried that for a long time.

Old May 11th 20, 01:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On Sun, 10 May 2020 09:14:13 -0700 (PDT), jbeattie
wrote:

[...]

Well crude futures reached a negative value the other day so I assume
that shortly the pumps will be paying you to take the gasoline off
their hands :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Old May 11th 20, 02:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

On Sun, 10 May 2020 12:57:10 -0400, Frank Krygowski wrote:

Bike Friday's hitch is a repurposed quick connect used for air hoses.
The left dropout has a threaded boss that accepts the male end of the
quick connect. The trailer tongue has a short length of air hose plus
the female connector. This gives the necessary flexibility in all
directions.

TY. I know of the idea and I might look for a more industrial unit to
finally give it a try. My experience with these quick connects in smaller
hoses is a tendancy to disconnect is given the correct "flick' through
the hose.

Old May 11th 20, 02:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

On Sun, 10 May 2020 12:09:44 -0700, jbeattie wrote:

Dude, two words: hitch rack. https://tinyurl.com/ydgpxsvf Yakima. It's
the best, and true or not, that's policy.

Err. make sure your hitch will easily take the weight of the bicycles and
hitch rack and that it doesn't exceed the designed capacity.

YMMV, but I've always found it neccessary to use stretch straps to a roof
rack to reduce the bouncing of the bicycle on a hitch rack. OTOH, our
tendacy to use buch tracks might be a factor.