chain question

Old September 8th 04, 03:05 AM
Boatman

Default chain question

My bike came with a "KMC-Z82" chain. Since I am so new to bike maintenance,
I bought another chain (SRAM PC-48) to "experiment " with. It came with the
SRAM power link (silver). I can buy another silver power link.

Will this link work on my KMC-Z82 chain? The chains look identical.

The old chain has less than 1/16 th inch of "stretch" at 12 inches. I'd like
to interchange the two chains from time to time to experiment with different
lubes. Will this cause any problems?

How do you pronounce "SRAM"?

Thanks!

Boatman

Old September 8th 04, 11:16 AM
Just zis Guy, you know?

Boatman wrote:

My bike came with a "KMC-Z82" chain. Since I am so new to bike
maintenance, I bought another chain (SRAM PC-48) to "experiment "
with. It came with the SRAM power link (silver). I can buy another
silver power link.
Will this link work on my KMC-Z82 chain? The chains look identical.

I don't know - I think KMC chains are a Work of Stan and should be Shunned,
so I always replace them with Sram :-)

How do you pronounce "SRAM"?

Like scram without the c. But that's only how /I/ pronounce it...

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at Washington
University

Old September 8th 04, 01:12 PM
Pat

:

My bike came with a "KMC-Z82" chain. Since I am so new to bike
maintenance, I bought another chain (SRAM PC-48) to "experiment "
with. It came with the SRAM power link (silver). I can buy another
silver power link.
Will this link work on my KMC-Z82 chain? The chains look identical.

I don't know - I think KMC chains are a Work of Stan and should be

Shunned,
so I always replace them with Sram :-)

How do you pronounce "SRAM"?

Like scram without the c. But that's only how /I/ pronounce it...

Guy

No, you're right. I emailed the SRAM people and asked and they said
"sssram".

Pat in TX

Old September 9th 04, 04:07 PM
Kenny Lee

Boatman wrote:

How do you pronounce "SRAM"?

Thanks!

Boatman

It's pronounced "ES-Ram" because the "S" stands for speed. "Ram" is what
the competition gets for getting in your way at the sprint finish.

Kenny Lee
Old September 9th 04, 06:20 PM
Frederic Briere

Boatman wrote:
I bought another chain (SRAM PC-48) to "experiment " with. It came with the
SRAM power link (silver). I can buy another silver power link.

Will this link work on my KMC-Z82 chain? The chains look identical.

According to SRAM's own FAQ, found at
http://www.sram.com/en/service/sram/faq.php:

Lastly, the PowerLinks may ONLY be used with the corresponding SRAM
PowerChains. The tolerances of other chains, made by other
manufacturers (Shimano, KMC, etc.), will not mate properly with the
PowerLink system.

How do you pronounce "SRAM"?

From the same source:

SRAM is the conglomeration of our founder's names, Scott, Ray and sAM.
The initials provided a simple way to come up with a corporate name
that could be trademarked and directly translated into languages other
than English. It is not pronounced S-RAM, SchRAM, or SkRAM. Just
SRAM.

(Yes, kids, a manufacturers' site is your friend!)

--
Frederic Briere *

= IS NO MO http://www.abacomsucks.com =
Old September 10th 04, 04:55 AM
Boatman

Frederic Briere wrote:
Boatman wrote:
I bought another chain (SRAM PC-48) to "experiment " with. It came
with the SRAM power link (silver). I can buy another silver power
link.

Will this link work on my KMC-Z82 chain? The chains look identical.

According to SRAM's own FAQ, found at
http://www.sram.com/en/service/sram/faq.php:

Lastly, the PowerLinks may ONLY be used with the corresponding SRAM
PowerChains. The tolerances of other chains, made by other
manufacturers (Shimano, KMC, etc.), will not mate properly with the
PowerLink system.

How do you pronounce "SRAM"?

From the same source:

SRAM is the conglomeration of our founder's names, Scott, Ray and
sAM. The initials provided a simple way to come up with a corporate
name that could be trademarked and directly translated into
languages other than English. It is not pronounced S-RAM, SchRAM,
or SkRAM. Just SRAM.

(Yes, kids, a manufacturers' site is your friend!)

Thank you, Frederic. That was exactly the info I was looking for!

Boatman