What would a 2006 Schwinn Varsity look like (if done right)?

Old January 30th 06, 08:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default What would a 2006 Schwinn Varsity look like (if done right)?

The Schwinn Varsity discussion got me thinking -

What would a 2006 Schwinn Varsity look like?

I imagine the perfect college bike for four years of an awesome college
life, with a little flexibility for life beyond. Almost like a Surly
Cross-Check but even more versatile.

Frame would be steel, natch. It would have DOUBLE eyelets on the fork
and dropouts - strong enough to carry lots of beer on the rack, with
fenders. Cyclocross geometry. Wide fork for wide tires.

Components would be super simple and rugged, because they'll be left
out in the rain and snow. Shimano SORA brifters or bar-ends. Last
year's cheapo cassettes. Whatever headset can take the most damage.
Generic canti or V-brakes (for fenders, of course). Flared road bars.
Hybridized half-trail tires.

Weather-resistant cork wrap that matches the frame color.
Metallized-flake paint. Platform pedals. Rack included.

I'm talking about the modern, simple interpretation of a bike-boom
10-speed: simple, reliable, heavy. You can pull off a college-poor tour
on the cheap. Pop off to the lacrosse field with your honey and throw
the bike on the ground next to the blanket. Throw your backpack in a
milk crate tied to the rack and get to class late. Wobble home
hungover. Get beer. Get groceries. Get laid.

And there is a certain level of cool inherent to a bike that useful.
It's like the Scion - not about the content, it's about the marketing.
Provide basic no-frills value with no pretention, and walk away.

Old January 31st 06, 03:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Take a Kronan, add an eight speed Spectro or Shimano hub and the
optional front rack.
http://www.kronancykel.se/se/bikes/S...ts/Valj_Cykel/

That would be strictly a campus bike.

For the lighter variant that you can take a cheap ass tour on, it would
be something like a Soma Smoothie or even, as we've had the mtb and
compact frame revolution since the Varsity was around, the Karate
Monkey, set up with cxcross 35mm knobbies and fenders, a single
chainring, and either an eight speed hub, or Sora eight. Drop bars and
a bar end shifter. The rear gets the biggest baddest rack possible with
the best milk crate money can buy.

Old January 31st 06, 03:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

forgot to mention: I agree on the platform pedals, something that's
comfortable with your punk rock chucks. The classic MKS comes to mind:
http://www.universalcycles.com/image...large/7059.jpg

Old January 31st 06, 03:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

bryanska wrote:
Components would be super simple and rugged, because they'll be left
out in the rain and snow. Shimano SORA brifters or bar-ends....

"Rugged brifters" is an oxymoron.

--
Tom Sherman - Planet Barcon

Old January 31st 06, 04:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

"bryanska" wrote in message
oups.com...
The Schwinn Varsity discussion got me thinking -

What would a 2006 Schwinn Varsity look like?

I imagine the perfect college bike for four years of an awesome college
life, with a little flexibility for life beyond. Almost like a Surly
Cross-Check but even more versatile.

Something can be more versatile than the Cross-Check?

Old January 31st 06, 04:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

gooserider wrote:
"bryanska" wrote in message
oups.com...

The Schwinn Varsity discussion got me thinking -

What would a 2006 Schwinn Varsity look like?

I imagine the perfect college bike for four years of an awesome college
life, with a little flexibility for life beyond. Almost like a Surly
Cross-Check but even more versatile.

Something can be more versatile than the Cross-Check?

Yeah, that's what I was thinking.
Old January 31st 06, 10:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

"bryanska" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Except for the double eyelets(Cross Check has single on the fork), you
described the Cross Check to a T. It's not "cheap", though.

Old January 31st 06, 02:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Except for the double eyelets(Cross Check has single on the fork), you
described the Cross Check to a T. It's not "cheap", though.

Exactly. It needs to be even cheaper, with some mass manufacturing
muscle behind it. The Cross-Check's front fork also isn't drilled for
front low-rider racks. But that's about the only other thing it's
missing.

Think mass-market pop-art road bike. Maybe Fuji could pull it off too.
I'm thinking New Beetle, red toasters, bowling shirt.

Old January 31st 06, 02:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Well... I never thought I'd say this, but I think the frame should be
aluminum. The bike will be outside more than inside. I also think the
drivetrain should use an internal hub, less danger at the bike rack,
cleaner too. Finally I think there should be a dynamo hub. Light is
important, this is a commuter/utility machine. A Surly could do it all,
but if you're looking at a budget, I'm not sure how you beat a Breezer.

Old January 31st 06, 03:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

I think the frame should be aluminum.

OK, I can see that. We're not talking about an aficionado's bike.
Aluminum would work.

I also think the drivetrain should use an internal hub, less danger at the bike rack, cleaner too.

I agree IF it can be as cheap or cheaper than a cassette.

Finally I think there should be a dynamo hub.

Yes yes. An integrated light system (parallel to the top tube by the
headbadge?) would make it a great out-of-the-box college commuter.

A Surly could do it all, but if you're looking at a budget, I'm not sure how you beat a Breezer.

Any one of us could build up a Surly, I agree. My challenge is for
Schwinn (or another major bike manufacturer) to crank these road bikes
out by the thousands. Many of the parts would need to be generic in the
true Schwinn Varsity spirit. And as long as the parts stayed put and
worked acceptably, that's it. The bar-ends, brakes, cranks, pedals,
rims... all generic. Maybe Shimano could provide any non-generic parts
from their low-end road lines.

Could they put out a stable road bike at a sub-$600 price point? Or
even below $500?

What price point includes all the necessary servicable parts (spokes,
shifters) but EXCLUDES Wal-Bike build quality?

Schwinn Varsity at Walmart Olebiker General 72 February 8th 06 12:46 AM
FS: All-original Schwinn Le Tour II, How much is it worth? gn171100 Marketplace 0 July 11th 05 12:41 AM
Low end schwinn... rick General 14 August 11th 04 03:59 PM
Schwinn Backpedaling Garrison Hilliard General 11 March 24th 04 01:27 PM
Schwinn Backpedaling Garrison Hilliard Techniques 9 March 22nd 04 04:31 AM