Should I bother with a rain bike?

Old September 5th 04, 08:00 AM
Preston Crawford

On 2004-09-05, Dan Daniel wrote:
On Sun, 05 Sep 2004 00:54:06 -0500, Preston Crawford

On 2004-09-05, Dan Daniel wrote:

Go somewhere else.

I know I should. It's just sad. We've gone there for so long. They've
literally watched as we've gone from our old selves to our new selves.

And in a way you've watched them go from their old selves to their new
selves....

True.

My
wife from a couch potato to a triathlete. Me from a couch potato to a
cycle commuter. Things have been different in the past. I guess if
anything our mistake is we never upgraded to the $5000 bike. Maybe then we
would have been served better. We've always stuck in the low end, because
that's who we are. Regular people who enjoy bikes, but don't have the
money for the expensive ones.

Funny... if you have five stores, you are going to have to sell a lot
of mid-range bikes to cover the rent. Not smart to be blowing off
your bread and butter customers.

I agree. Another story, while I'm thinking about it. I needed a new wheel
because my rear wheel cracked. They didn't have one at their Beaverton,
Or. store. They said they'd have to order it. They wanted to begin the
process of ordering it. I tried to explain to them that I commute on that
bike. That I don't want to bike every day. That I need that bike ASAP and
wasn't there a wheel anywhere in the company's system. "Nope, want us to
order those parts to custom build the wheel?" So I go to another store of
theirs and they have the wheel. A very nice $100+ touring wheel. I take it
back to the other store and leave it with them and they say they'll do the
bike overnight. Great, I'll have the bike by the next work day. I ask if
someone can call me when it's done so I can pick it up for work the next
day. This is on Saturday.

Almost closing time on Sunday. I call them up and ask them if the bike is
done. They tell me it is. I ask why no one called me. They say they don't
do that kind of thing. Weird. So I go pick the bike up, barely getting in
before closing. Once again, nothing major, but not exactly going out of
their way to help. I found the wheel at one of their stores. I drove to
get it. I paid a decent amount for it, plus to have it installed and when
I asked to be told when it was finished no one bothered to call me.

That's good advice. Those are the kinds of bikes I've been looking at.
Hybrids and mountain bikes, basically. Anything upright. The problem, at
least when considering a mountain bike (which was my first commuter bike,
a mountain bike with slicks, fenders, a rack, etc.) is that all the entry
level mountain bikes come with a cheap front shock.

http://www.marinbikes.com/html/bikes_04_urban.html
http://www.konaworld.com/2k4_bikes.cfm
(the 'asphalt' section)
http://www.specialized.com/SBCBkFamily.jsp?sid=04Sirrus
http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/05/cusa/cats/ST.html
http://www.fujibikes.com/road/bike.a...D =26&yr=2004

http://nordicgroup.us/commutebike/
http://www.runmuki.com/commute/commuting3.html

Oh yeah. I know they're out there. The trick is finding a good shop that
carries one of those bikes. Especially when you've been a single shop
person like I have for the last half-decade. And a Trek guy to boot.
That's the hardest part. These guys are the biggest Trek dealers in
Portland. And I've been pretty loyal to Trek just by default. So in some
ways even though I know there are bikes with rigid forks out there I need
to find a good shop and I need to know also how the bikes stack up. Like
how does a wheel on a Fuji Absolute stack up against the wheel on a Trek
7300fx. I've never heard of Alex A-Class wheels or Tektro brakes or RPM
chainrings. It's that kind of stuff I'm a little ignorant on. I plan on
doing some research to find out tonight and tomorrow.

I asked them today if
I could get a regular fork put on the front, a stiff fork instead. They
said I could, as long as I paid for it, etc. I understand, but I guess I
was hoping for a little more help on that option. I've heard of people
haggling prices. I never do that. I've heard of people getting parts
swapped. I've never done that without paying. I asked in this case,
because even if I wanted to pay for the other fork, I'd have no use for a
cheap suspension fork laying around my house. Seems like a waste. But they
don't do deals like that. Maybe it's only on the expensive bikes that they
do that, I don't know.

You definitely need a new bike shop.

Really? Is that normal to be able to swap out parts? I never knew. I
always assumed that was only done for higher end bikes since the lower end
bikes are mostly commodity bikes anyway. Or maybe it's just my shop. I
don't know.

Have you talked to the tri shop? They might be able to order you a
bike. Or they might know a good bike general bike shop for you to deal
with. If the old shop can open five stores, there must be a decent
market in your area.

I have talked to the tri shop. They really want to put me on a cyclecross
bike, which would probably be perfect. Problem is it starts at $1000 (they
don't carry low end stuff there) so it would be out of the box nicer than
my Trek 1000. And out of my price range for a "rain bike". They're willing
to swap some trade credit for some web programming, but it may take me a
while to earn a $1000 bike and it will be raining by then. :-)

To make any bike a rain bike, put Koolstop salmon pads on the brakes,
install full fenders and mud flaps, and take 5-10 lbs of pressure out
of the tires.

Sure will. Just need to find the bike, first.

As long as it will take fenders, it can be a rain bike.

Oh, of course. I'm just saying, first I have to find a shop and a bike.

You should have enough info from previous fittings to practically fit
yourself.

Well, that's the tough part. I have the info, but I don't quite trust
myself as much as I trust them. And that's the messiest part of this
potential separation. I want a shop that can help me get it close, at
least. I don't mind fiddling with settings, of course, but I want to know
when I walk out of the bike shop that I'm at least in the ballpark of a
bike that's close to the professionally done ergonomically sound fits I've
had done in the past. And I personally, either through sheer dimness or
whatever, just don't have the capacity to do what they do. So I need their
help to a certain extent. Or someone's, to make sure I don't end up with a
sore back, knees, etc.

Preston

You need people like you found in the tri shop. Talk to them.

I wish they could help with this. Maybe they can. Maybe they can order
something. I don't know. I'll give them another call.

Preston
Old September 5th 04, 01:32 PM
Arthur Harris

"Preston Crawford" wrote:

I've had a relationship for about 5 years+ with my LBS. They sold me my
first bike when I started biking again and I have purchased 6 bikes in
total from them, between my wife and I. We've bought innumerable bike
parts and we've paid for 4 fittings ($100 a pop).

I can see the need for a "fit" on a first road bike, but you and your wife
seem to be experienced cyclists. Fit really isn't rocket science, especially
if you're talking about a hybrid type bike for rainy weather. Even for a
road bike, if you have one that fits well, you can set up another one with
the same measurements (seat height and position, bar height and reach,
etc.). If you don't get it perfect on the first try, you can always tweak
it. If buying a new bike, a free "rough fit" should be included as a minimum
(to ensure that the frame size is appropriate).

Who else here uses a "rain bike"? What are some good
recommendations (other than the obvious, a used bike, which I'll
definitely consider at this point)? But what are some good candidates for
new bikes?

If you're really going to have a dedicated "rain bike," it would make sense
to get something with fenders and wide tires (for traction). A used, mid-80s
touring bike would be ideal.

Art Harris

Old September 5th 04, 03:26 PM
Jamie TrailBlazer At Large

Here's another twist to the story .Go to the TRI shop and get the Bike they
are willing to work with you on .And use your old bike for a rain bike.Then
you will have a better everyday bike and a nice rain bike.A cyclecross bike
make a nice all around bike but it can't make up for a good road bike.But if
your looking for a good commuter bike the cyclecross would do the trick
nicely bigger tires and stuff for bad roads.
Or the Marin bike in the link with a ridged fork would work to .Its only
450$
JMO /good luck
PS id go for the cyclcross and not look back .
sound like you have bought some cheaper bikes and got ride of them buy a
good one and keep it ???

Old September 5th 04, 03:38 PM
Preston Crawford

On 2004-09-05, Jamie TrailBlazer At Large wrote:
Here's another twist to the story .Go to the TRI shop and get the Bike they
are willing to work with you on .And use your old bike for a rain bike.Then
you will have a better everyday bike and a nice rain bike.A cyclecross bike
make a nice all around bike but it can't make up for a good road bike.But if
your looking for a good commuter bike the cyclecross would do the trick
nicely bigger tires and stuff for bad roads.

Does a cyclecross bike make a good bike for long distance riding? Because
during the summer I'm enjoying going on 50+ mile rides. I'd hate to lose
my road bike and not have the cyclecross bike (with new tires of course)
fit this duty.

Or the Marin bike in the link with a ridged fork would work to .Its only
450$
JMO /good luck
PS id go for the cyclcross and not look back .
sound like you have bought some cheaper bikes and got ride of them buy a
good one and keep it ???

Yes and no. The first bike (my mountain bike) was gotten rid of because I
rode it into the ground. Put like 4000 miles into it and had no concept of
maintenance or how to keep it in good shape. The second bike, the hybrid
was only sold because I decided I wanted the money for the road bike
instead. On my wife's side she had one mountain bike which was destroyed
when she got hit by a car. And then a hybrid which was only sold because
she wanted a road bike. So we're not really tearing through the cheap
bikes, but your point is well taken. It would do us some good either way
to buy a more expensive bike one of these days. But here in Portland, I
guess I've always assumed that was a bad idea. The idea being that the
wheels, gears, etc. would be ground down by the rain and grit as quickly
on a $600 bike as on a $1000 bike. So might as well buy the $600 bike
since its parts would be cheaper to replace.

I'm not saying you're wrong, by any stretch. Just explaining my rationale
for sticking with the low end bikes. We could be totally wrong about that
assumption, but the rain and the wear and tear are things you have to
factor in. I just don't think I can afford the cyclecross bike right now,
unfortunately.

Preston
Old September 5th 04, 03:38 PM
Preston Crawford

Old September 5th 04, 11:35 PM
Per Elmsäter

Preston Crawford wrote:
So I decided this year that it would be a good idea (since I've
upgraded some parts on my Trek 1000 and I really like it and want to
keep it in good shap) to invest in a "rain bike". A cheap bike ($450
or under) that I don't mind seeing take a little abuse. Here's my
problem.

Why don't you just do yourself a favor and turn your present bike into a
rainbike and get yourself something really sweet that you've been drooling
over for a while.
The only loser in going cheap is you

--
Perre

Old September 6th 04, 01:42 AM

On 2004-09-05, Dan Daniel wrote:

[...]

Have you tried going down to citybikes on 8th and Ankeny and talking
with them about a used bike? They may have one in that's suitable
for you, and if not you can check back from time to time, as the
inventory changes regularly.

--

-TTFN

-Steven