Chain Wear Questions:)

Old September 10th 04, 10:18 PM
Bob Marley

Default Chain Wear Questions:)

Thank you in advance for taking your time to answer my questions.

First: How can I test my chain to tell if it is worn out?

Second: What is the typical life of a bicycle chain in terms of miles?

Third: Is there any way to test the chain for wear without removing it
from the bicycle?

Fourth: Why don't bicycles come stock with a master link (super link)
like motorcycles do.

Fifth: Do you recommend putting a master link on a bicycle chain?

Thanks again

Old September 10th 04, 10:27 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 14:18:59 -0700, "Bob Marley"
wrote in message :

First: How can I test my chain to tell if it is worn out?

See http://www.sheldonbrown.com/chains.html

Second: What is the typical life of a bicycle chain in terms of miles?

Somewhere between 0 and 10,000 miles depending on whether it's used in
the rain, how often it's cleaned, and how thick it is (i.e. 7, 8, 9,
10 speed)

Third: Is there any way to test the chain for wear without removing it
from the bicycle?

See http://www.sheldonbrown.com/chains.html - a steel rule is the
usual tool for the job :-)

Fourth: Why don't bicycles come stock with a master link (super link)
like motorcycles do.

They can, but it's only fitted on certain types of chain (e.g. the
Sram Powerlink). Old-style fishtail links may be fitted on 1/4"
chains on single-sprocket bikes (hub gears) but don't work with
derailleurs.

Fifth: Do you recommend putting a master link on a bicycle chain?

I recommend Sram Powerlink chains, for sure.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Old September 11th 04, 05:08 AM
David L. Johnson

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 14:18:59 -0700, Bob Marley wrote:

Thank you in advance for taking your time to answer my questions.

First: How can I test my chain to tell if it is worn out?

If 12 full lengths measure more than 12 1/16", then it's time. If the
measurement is more than 12 1/8" likely the cassette is also worn out.

Second: What is the typical life of a bicycle chain in terms of
miles?

Modern chains, maybe 2-3000 miles. Sometimes more, and under bad
conditions, possibly less.

Third: Is there any way to test the chain for wear without removing
it from the bicycle?

Measure along the top run of the chain, on the bike.

Fourth: Why don't bicycles come stock with a master link (super link)
like motorcycles do.

Some do. Most SRAM chains come with one.

Fifth: Do you recommend putting a master link on a bicycle chain?

Sure, as long as it is meant for that size chain. 3-speeds and most fixed
gears use 1/8" chain (that is, the width of the inner holes is about
1/8"). Most derailleur chains are 3/32" inside, but can vary in
sideplate thickness, depending on whether they are meant for 8-speed (or
fewer), or 9-speed, or 10-speed.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | What is objectionable, and what is dangerous about extremists is
_`\(,_ | not that they are extreme, but that they are intolerant.
(_)/ (_) | --Robert F. Kennedy

Old September 12th 04, 12:46 PM
Peter Cole

"Bob Marley" wrote in message
Thank you in advance for taking your time to answer my questions.

First: How can I test my chain to tell if it is worn out?

Use a 1' ruler. Measure along the lower run since the derailer spring keeps
this taut. With the ruler on the leading edge of one pin (where it protrudes
from the side plate), the othe end should line up on the leading edge of
another pin on a new chain. As the chain wears, the ruler will line up
eventually in the middle of the pin, then, eventually, the trailing edge. For
best drivetrain longevity, replace the chain before you get to a full pin's
width.

Second: What is the typical life of a bicycle chain in terms of miles?

Many variables, typical numbers: 1,000 - 3,000 miles of road biking, much less
off-road.

Third: Is there any way to test the chain for wear without removing it
from the bicycle?

See above.

Fourth: Why don't bicycles come stock with a master link (super link)
like motorcycles do.

Fifth: Do you recommend putting a master link on a bicycle chain?

SRAM chains come with master links, they can be purchased together for as
little as $10. I think these chains are fine for all uses. Master links are
also sold separately from a number of manufacturers. Master links can be
difficult to open, especially if the chain is dirty, since the grit tends to
take up the clearances. I've resorted to using a chain tool more than once to
open at a normal link when the "quick" link turned out to be more trouble.
Having a good chain tool is necessary anyway (I like the Park "mini"). If
nothing else, you'll need it to shorten new chains. Most people who have chain
trouble have it from bad joins, so (theoretically) a quick/master link
eliminates that liability. It's handy to keep old quick links in your bag to
repair a chain in the woods or road (of course you need a tool, too), although
chain breaks are pretty rare.

Old September 12th 04, 01:44 PM
Mark Jones

"Peter Cole" wrote in message
Most people who have chain
trouble have it from bad joins, so (theoretically) a quick/master link
eliminates that liability.

The only bicycle chain that I have ever had break, broke at
the master link when I was climbing a hill. I was standing
on the pedals when it snapped.

Old September 12th 04, 02:34 PM
Peter Cole

"Mark Jones" wrote in message
hlink.net...
"Peter Cole" wrote in message
Most people who have chain
trouble have it from bad joins, so (theoretically) a quick/master link
eliminates that liability.

The only bicycle chain that I have ever had break, broke at
the master link when I was climbing a hill. I was standing
on the pedals when it snapped.

What brand? What gear? I've only used SRAM (& before that Craig), but been
using them for many years, both on & off-road (much more stressful) without
mishap, & I weigh 235. A small (22 tooth) chainring with long cranks and a
heavy rider is worst case for chain snapping. I often use that even while
pulling a trailer with as much as 100 lb.

Old September 12th 04, 02:58 PM
Mark Jones

"Peter Cole" wrote in message
"Mark Jones" wrote in message
hlink.net...
"Peter Cole" wrote in message
Most people who have chain
trouble have it from bad joins, so (theoretically) a quick/master link
eliminates that liability.

The only bicycle chain that I have ever had break, broke at
the master link when I was climbing a hill. I was standing
on the pedals when it snapped.

What brand? What gear? I've only used SRAM (& before that Craig), but been
using them for many years, both on & off-road (much more stressful)
without
mishap, & I weigh 235.

I have no idea what brand. This was on a 24 inch, single speed, road bike.
This happened over 30 years ago. I was going up a steep hill on a city
street when it happened.

Old September 12th 04, 03:49 PM
S o r n i

"Mark Jones" wrote in message
hlink.net...
"Peter Cole" wrote in
message news:PGW0d.33952$D%.6200@attbi_s51...

Most people who have chain
trouble have it from bad joins, so (theoretically) a quick/master
link eliminates that liability.

The only bicycle chain that I have ever had break, broke at
the master link when I was climbing a hill. I was standing
on the pedals when it snapped.

What brand? What gear? I've only used SRAM (& before that Craig),
but been using them for many years, both on & off-road (much more
stressful) without mishap, & I weigh 235.

I have no idea what brand. This was on a 24 inch, single speed, road
bike. This happened over 30 years ago. I was going up a steep hill on
a city street when it happened.

They had master links 30+ years ago?!?

Bill "think I was still using wire to fix broken chains then (ok, closer to
*40* years ago)" S.

Old September 12th 04, 04:24 PM
Mark Jones

"S o r n i" wrote in message
They had master links 30+ years ago?!?

Every bicycle that I had when I was a kid had a master link.
This would have been on bicycles from about 1966 to 1975.

Old September 12th 04, 05:36 PM
Dan Daniel

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 15:24:42 GMT, "Mark Jones"
wrote:

"S o r n i" wrote in message
They had master links 30+ years ago?!?

Every bicycle that I had when I was a kid had a master link.
This would have been on bicycles from about 1966 to 1975.

I wonder if it was a typical master link for industrial and motorcycle
chains. I recently used one on a BMX chain- came in the box. Go to
figure E at this link-

http://www.diynet.com/diy/ab_vehicle...271497,00.html