One more success for the War on Terror (tm)

Old August 1st 05, 10:43 PM
Eugenio Mastroviti

Default One more success for the War on Terror (tm)

Thanks to the heightened security all over London, I've been lucky
enough to be stopped in Finsbury Park, on the way back from work, for
"speeding". Two officers, probably resting from a hard day chasing
international terrorists and generally protecting the Western world,
stopped me for cycling at more than twice the speed limit - and I was
going uphill!

Well, I felt chuffed with myself for a few seconds, until they informed
me that the speed limit was 5 mph. I mean, what's the friggin' point? I
WALK at over 5 mph!

Thank heavens for my strong Italian accent and my trusty "I'ma sorree
officera, I dinta knowa thera wasa a limita". Or perhaps they were just
taking the p*ss, I can't really believe they would fine me for cycling
uphill at 15 mph...
Old August 1st 05, 10:45 PM
barry

Eugenio Mastroviti wrote:
Thanks to the heightened security all over London, I've been lucky
enough to be stopped in Finsbury Park, on the way back from work, for
"speeding". Two officers, probably resting from a hard day chasing
international terrorists and generally protecting the Western world,
stopped me for cycling at more than twice the speed limit - and I was
going uphill!

Well, I felt chuffed with myself for a few seconds, until they informed
me that the speed limit was 5 mph. I mean, what's the friggin' point? I
WALK at over 5 mph!

Thank heavens for my strong Italian accent and my trusty "I'ma sorree
officera, I dinta knowa thera wasa a limita". Or perhaps they were just
taking the p*ss, I can't really believe they would fine me for cycling
uphill at 15 mph...

afaik, speed limits at 5mph increments aren't enforceable, as there's no
requirement for speedometers to actaully show 5mph increments.

though i could be talking rubbish...
Old August 1st 05, 11:00 PM
Martin Bulmer

barry wrote:
Eugenio Mastroviti wrote:
[...]

Haven't we established in the past that speed limits are for motor vehicles,
and there is no requirement on cyclists to even measure our speed, never
mind curtail it?
--

Martin Bulmer

Old August 1st 05, 11:15 PM

As far as I know you can be prosecuted and fined, points on your
driving licence etc. for speeding on your bike. Not sure what happens
if you don't have a driving licence. I can't be bothered to check the
back pages of my Highway Code so I'm prepared to be shown wrong.

Old August 1st 05, 11:17 PM
Simon Brooke

in message , Martin Bulmer
') wrote:

barry wrote:
Eugenio Mastroviti wrote:
[...]

Except in 'Royal' Parks.

[ This .sig subject to change without notice ]

Old August 2nd 05, 06:39 AM
Tosspot

barry wrote:

Eugenio Mastroviti wrote:

[...]

Talking of which, what if you dont have one.