That Daily Terror article

Old November 28th 06, 01:21 AM posted to aus.bicycle
cfsmtb

Default That Daily Terror article

Well some a.b viewers may of read *that* Daily Telegraph article from
Saturday 25/11. Journalists and the media are entitled to their POV on
issues, but this was a rather clumsy effort from Ms Quigley & her
employer.

Either you saw the article as a piece of fluff, a petulant rant, mild
entertainment or wish to *do something* about it.

Here's a headsup on action you can take if you feel particularly
miffed.

********

-------------------------------
From: infoATwojDOTcomDOTau
Date: 27-Nov-2006 22:11

Wheels of Justice: Say no to road violence

Wheels of Justice are Australians who happen to enjoy riding bicycles
and want to create positive outcomes for all road users. We want
drivers to be educated to understand that those who ride bicycles have
a right to be on the road, and that all road users have a duty of care
towards each other.

On Saturday 25th November 2006, the Daily Telegraph published Anita
Quigley's article "This disturbing cycle is just a critical mess"

http://tinyurl.com/y4c6d4

In the second paragraph, Quigley makes this following remark:

-"It has never occurred to me it might matter to drivers what a cyclist
wears because, clothed or naked, with a helmet or not, all cyclists in
the city are irritating and I find bring on an overwhelming desire to
swerve towards."-

Quigley counters with this remark (Mon 27 Nov 2006) in response to
negative comments left by readers:

-"David et al, I responded on Saturday - it's called humour. And I
cannot believe I am still be asked such ludicrous questions. Of course
I would not drive my car towards and hit a cyclist."-

Wheels of Justice believe this response is still NOT an adequate
apology. As a media commentator, Anita Quigley should have a better
comprehension of what is acceptable to publish in the media.

A possible incitement to violence as a result of difference of opinion
is NOT acceptable in any context.

Last week, the Townsville Bulletin reported that the North Queensland
Cowboys have been forced to take their "intensive bike training off the
streets and into the protected confines of Townsville's velodrome for
the first time" due to unprovoked acts of aggression by motorists.

The Cowboys strength and conditioning coach Glen Murphy said in the
article; -"the boys can be as safe as anything (when cycling on the
road) but we have no control over motorists.-"

Townsville Bulletin: Team go off road (23/11)
http://tinyurl.com/y7ttu8

What has recently occurred to the North Queensland Cowboys team is
sadly an example of intolerant attitudes that should not be further
encouraged in the media. Wheels of Justice calls upon all road users,
regardless if they drive vehicles, ride bicycles or walk, to use the
road environment with shared awareness and respect with each other.

Wheels of Justice also call upon all road users to contact both Anita
Quigley and the Daily Telegraph to make an immediate retraction of her
remarks and apologise in full.

Please contact the Daily Telegraph via the details supplied below to
demand a retraction and apology, on behalf of ALL who share Australia's
roads.

The Daily Telegraph
Postal Address: 2 Holt Street, Surry Hills, NSW, 2010
T: (02) 9288-3000.
F: (02) 9288-2300
E:

Letter to the Editor:
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/letter

If you have contacted the Daily Telegraph and not received a
satisfactory response within 60 days of the complaint, please read the
"Guidelines on complaints procedure" from the Australian Press Council
for further advice:

Guidelines on complaints procedure
http://www.presscouncil.org.au/pcsit...s/process.html

Please feel free to pass on this information.

--
___________________________________

Wheels of Justice
Education :: Enforcement :: Accountability
http://www.woj.com.au
___________________________________

--
cfsmtb

Old November 28th 06, 02:11 AM posted to aus.bicycle
OzCableguy

"cfsmtb" wrote in message

Townsville Bulletin: Team go off road (23/11)
http://tinyurl.com/y7ttu8

"Regular road cyclist and local radiologist Dr Grant Withey was riding along
University Drive towards Townsville Hospital early Saturday morning to do
some work at the breast clinic.
Dr Withey said he heard a car slow down and veer alongside him when a man
grabbed him through the opened window.
The brazen passenger grabbed him by the bike seat post and buttocks and
pushed the bicycle back and forth before letting go, causing the doctor to
slam into the roadway.
Dr Withey landed on the road into the path of oncoming traffic, his
equipment strewn across the road and the bike damaged.
He suffered a broken collar bone, two broken ribs and grazing to his elbow,
shoulder, thigh and knee."

"Northern Region Traffic co-ordinator Inspector Brian Richardson said the
incident involving Dr Withey could have resulted in dangerous driving
charges for the perpetrators."

Dangerous driving? WTF? That is assault occasioning bodily harm at the very
least.

--
www.ozcableguy.com
www.oztechnologies.com

Old November 28th 06, 02:53 AM posted to aus.bicycle
ProfTournesol

OzCableguy Wrote:
"cfsmtb" wrote in
message

[...]

I think that what they mean is that if the car driver were driving
within the speed limit and not crossing lane markers that may endanger
other motorists then nothing would happen:-(

maybe he'd been inspired by Anita Quigley:-(

--
ProfTournesol

Old November 28th 06, 03:45 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Duracell Bunny

ProfTournesol Wrote:
I think that what they mean is that if the car driver were driving
within the speed limit and not crossing lane markers that may endanger
other motorists then nothing would happen:-(

maybe he'd been inspired by Anita Quigley:-(Scary if that's really the attitude of the local police to a shocking

assault, Grant could well have been killed by this action. Hope he
recovers quickly

--
Duracell Bunny

Old November 28th 06, 05:21 AM posted to aus.bicycle
scotty72

Duracell Bunny Wrote:
Scary if that's really the attitude of the local police to a shocking
assault, Grant could well have been killed by this action. Hope he
recovers quicklyWhat about assault occasioning actual bodily harm.

Assault with a deadly weapon

Reckless endangerment

or

attempted murder, as this clown surely had it in his mind that
attacking a cyclist (at speed) would most likely result in an injury
that could well be fatal.

This guy's numb-nut-edness is surely match only by the cops.

SCotty

--
scotty72

Old November 28th 06, 06:12 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Duracell Bunny

scotty72 Wrote:
What about assault occasioning actual bodily harm.

Assault with a deadly weapon

Reckless endangerment

or

attempted murder, as this clown surely had it in his mind that
attacking a cyclist (at speed) would most likely result in an injury
that could well be fatal.

This guy's numb-nut-edness is surely match only by the cops.

SCottyI might email his sister & see how he's doing - I've known the Withey

family for 20 years or so, but been out of touch a while ... if I hear,
I'll keep you posted ...

--
Duracell Bunny

Old November 28th 06, 07:13 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Terryc

OzCableguy wrote:

Dangerous driving? WTF? That is assault occasioning bodily harm at the very
least.

But will the police actually do anything?
Lets hope the doc puts an embargo on treating police until they do.

Old November 28th 06, 11:42 AM posted to aus.bicycle
cfsmtb

Duracell Bunny Wrote:
I might email his sister & see how he's doing - I've known the Withey
family for 20 years or so, but been out of touch a while ... if I hear,
I'll keep you posted ...

I also send a copy of the WoJ PR to the North Queensland Cowboys. Hope
making reference to what is going on up there can *make a difference*,
we all have to keep chipping away at those ****ty redneck attitudes.

--
cfsmtb

Old November 28th 06, 12:28 PM posted to aus.bicycle
OzCableguy

"Terryc" wrote in message
OzCableguy wrote:

Dangerous driving? WTF? That is assault occasioning bodily harm at the
very least.

But will the police actually do anything?
Lets hope the doc puts an embargo on treating police until they do.

Actually, after discussing this with a mate of mine I'm informed that
assault charges are normally out of the police's hands unless they have a
witness who can verify it or witness the assault for themselves. It's up to
the victim to press charges before the police can make an arrest. Or
something along those lines anyway.
Dangerous Driving may have been the strongest "traffic" offence they could
charge the driver with unless the victim decided to press an assault charge,
which I'm sure the police officer would have encouraged him to do if they'd
caught the *******s.

--
www.ozcableguy.com
www.oztechnologies.com

Old December 12th 06, 02:37 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Duracell Bunny

Duracell Bunny Wrote:
I might email his sister & see how he's doing - I've known the Withey
family for 20 years or so, but been out of touch a while ... if I hear,
I'll keep you posted ...A reply from Grant's sister ...

Thanks for the email. Grant is fine now but still horrified that
someone would assault him like that.

--
Duracell Bunny