Lurker buys fixie

Old August 5th 04, 03:04 AM
Duncan Farrow

Default Lurker buys fixie

G'Day,

After not very much agonizing, I bought myself a fixed wheel
bike last week.

I got it second-hand from a bike shop here in Perth and spent
a bit more getting pedals, a computer and some white bar tape
(in keeping with the austere philosophy of a fixed wheel).
Also, I replaced the brake with one off an Orbea. A couple
of pictures are at
http://wwwstaff.murdoch.edu.au/~dfarrow
and click on the obvious link.

I took the bike for it's maiden voyage yesterday morning - 40km
along river here in Perth. Nice and flat with occasional
undulation, perfect for the new machine. I can see this bike
becoming my main bike for flat rides. I went for 44x15 cogs
giving me 79" gear - I found this pretty good for maintaining
30 to 35kph.

I reckon everyone should have one of these in their shed.

Cheers,
Duncan.

PS To e-mail, remove finger.
Old August 5th 04, 03:17 AM
Graeme

Duncan Farrow wrote in news:ces4ih$ht$1
@enyo.uwa.edu.au:

and some white bar tape
(in keeping with the austere philosophy of a fixed wheel).

Bar tape? Luxury!

I reckon everyone should have one of these in their shed.

So do I. Whereabouts do you keep it locked at work?

Graeme
Old August 5th 04, 03:57 AM
hippy

Duncan Farrow
After not very much agonizing, I bought myself a fixed wheel
bike last week. http://wwwstaff.murdoch.edu.au/~dfarrow

Nice one! Go the fixies!

That's quite a strange frame design.. it should turn a few heads

hippy

Old August 5th 04, 03:59 AM
hippy

Graeme
Duncan Farrow
and some white bar tape
(in keeping with the austere philosophy of a fixed wheel).

Bar tape? Luxury!

Yeah, this is how it should be done:
http://www.thehippy.net/gallery/disp...album=73&pos=8

No, not really.. I just haven't bought any tape for it yet..

hippy

--
hippy

Old August 5th 04, 04:10 AM
Duncan Farrow

hippy wrote:

Graeme

Duncan Farrow
and some white bar tape
(in keeping with the austere philosophy of a fixed wheel).

Bar tape? Luxury!

Yeah, this is how it should be done:
http://www.thehippy.net/gallery/disp...album=73&pos=8

No, not really.. I just haven't bought any tape for it yet..

hippy

Good looking bike - as well as the bar tape, some black wall tires
and a pair of shorter forks...what's that clearance for?

What gear ratio are you running?

Duncan.
Old August 5th 04, 04:13 AM
Duncan Farrow

hippy wrote:

Duncan Farrow
After not very much agonizing, I bought myself a fixed wheel
bike last week. http://wwwstaff.murdoch.edu.au/~dfarrow

Nice one! Go the fixies!

That's quite a strange frame design.. it should turn a few heads

hippy

Yeah, it is a bit of an odd frame. The shop reckons it's 531 - the
frame's been resprayed so I don't know if that's right. Apparently it
was a custom job for some racer. I noted that the top tube is not
horizontal and that the forks do not look orginal. This made me wonder
if it originally had a smaller (say 26") wheel on the front.

Duncan.
Old August 5th 04, 06:15 AM
hippy

Duncan Farrow
hippy says:
Yeah, this is how it should be done:
http://www.thehippy.net/gallery/disp...album=73&pos=8

Good looking bike - as well as the bar tape, some black wall tires
and a pair of shorter forks...what's that clearance for?

The frame is for 27" wheels. It currently has my smaller 700c track
bike's
wheels installed. I plan to build some new wheels for it (still 700c)
and get
either shorter forks (i have some already) or longer brakes (preferred
option)
OR make a drop bolt for the calipers like Sheldon does..

What gear ratio are you running?

48/18, simply because that is what the Miche groupset came with. I
want
lower so I can skid the hell out of it and then notch it up a bit for
commuting once I know how to skid it to a quick(ish) stop.

hippy

--
hippy

Old August 5th 04, 06:42 AM
byron27

Duncan Farrow Wrote:
[...]

Good Stuff!
Once you aquaint yourself with the way of the fixie maybe you would be
interested in doing the barrack st ride on a tuesday or thursday. I
take my fixie on that ride and it is great for building a bit of
character ( thats what i tell myself...). There are always a couple of
others on fixies there as well. Look out for me on my Orange KHS
pursuit fixie around the river (48-16).

--
byron27

Old August 5th 04, 08:47 AM
Peter McCallum

Duncan Farrow wrote:

Also, I replaced the brake with one off an Orbea. A couple

brakes? don't they just slow you down?
Peter McCallum
Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA
Old August 5th 04, 11:57 AM
NickZX6R

hippy wrote:
Graeme

Duncan Farrow
and some white bar tape
(in keeping with the austere philosophy of a fixed wheel).

Bar tape? Luxury!

Yeah, this is how it should be done:
http://www.thehippy.net/gallery/disp...album=73&pos=8

No, not really.. I just haven't bought any tape for it yet..

hippy

do you want a black Cinelli bar plug? I've got a couple of
spares rattling around in the cupboard.

--
Nick