anyone been a "bandit" in a parade?

Old September 12th 04, 04:11 AM
steveyo

Default anyone been a "bandit" in a parade?

First a definition: In a running race, if you just run without signing
up or wearing a number you're called a *bandit*. It's not considered
uncool in running circles, unless you win or do something else to affect
the race.

So, I was unicycling on an errand today and right down on the double
wide, busy street two blocks from ours was a parade. It was on the far
side of said street, and I turned onto the near sidewalk, going the
opposite direction. Naturally, there were a bunch of people watching,
and I got the usual "Mommy, look! A man on a unicycle!", but then one
guy said "Hey! Are you in the parade?" I smiled and shook my head no,
and he said "You should be!".

Has anyone here ever just uni'ed into a parade and ridden in it? If it
had been going in the right direction I'd have thought about it.

--
steveyo - new old guy

--
steveyo

I complained I needed new shoes, till I met a man with no feet.

Old September 12th 04, 04:16 AM
Fuego

yup. i did that with the fourth of july parade in my town, though I went
on the sidewalk and dodged pedestrians sometimes. it was pretty fun.

--
Fuego - Ride to Ruin, and a Red Dawn!

"Unicycling is more about the center of concentration than the center of
balance."

If you don't want us riding on your concrete, don't make it in such damn
interesting shapes!
Fuego's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6983

Old September 12th 04, 05:15 AM
steveyo

Yebbut,
Dontcha wanna go *in* the parade?

--
steveyo - new old guy

Old September 12th 04, 01:19 PM
hell-on-wheel

Never in a parade, but once in a running race! 3 years ago I leave my
dorm one saturday morning to do some riding, and whadaya know? A
marathon's going on right outside my door! So I figured what the hey,
and rode the last 16 miles of the race, cheering people on as I passed,
offering them rides, and moving my arms back and forth in running
fashion. That was a lot of fun.

--
hell-on-wheel - My karma ran over your dogma

On the other hand, you have different fingers. - Steven Wright
hell-on-wheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3425

Old September 12th 04, 03:10 PM
mgrant

I've never been a bandit in the way you describe. However, once, years
ago, I was a bandit in a different way.

Our club was trying to come up with a fun routine for the 4th of July
parade and someone suggested we do a cops-n-robbers theme.

I ended up riding in a striped prisoner costume. We had these big bags
that had dollar signs on them. Basically the entire parade was the
badits stealing the cash from the cops and then hiding it in the crowd.
Then the cops would ride around chasing the badits and searching for the
cash. The kids in the crowd loved it since they were often enlisted by
either side to thwart the efforts of the other.

-mg

--
mgrant - Ever hoping for the best!

The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older, shorter of
breath, and one day closer to death.
michael_j_grant (at) yahoo (dot) com
Gallery: http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/Michael_Grant/
mgrant's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/440

Old September 12th 04, 10:54 PM
Mike_Foote

yah I just jumped into a parade before, and it was sort of funny,
because I was the thing that people wanted to see most, all of the
people had never seen a unicycler in person, much less one wheelwalking.

--
Mike_Foote - Violinist and Unicyclist

Long live unicycling
Mike_Foote's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6204

Old September 13th 04, 01:44 AM
UniBrier

Some time in my late college years in the early 80's, I took my Schwinn
Giraffe down the Seattle Torchlite Parade route before the parade
started but the crowd was already assembled.

I had my face done in a clown white base and colored mouth & eyes
(please forgive me for this, I was young(er) at the time). My pockets
were stuffed with Tootsie Rolls that I threw to the kids. The crowd was
very appreciative and supportive of my pre-parade antics.

Whenever I UPD'd I would enlist an adult to assist in the remount, which
was quite entertaining too.

Steve (the ex-clown)

--
UniBrier - Its Time to Ride

Steve De Cuckoo

"Only an idiot would try to ride a pointed stick with a wheel on the
bottom." - ‘tiped again’ on the early stages of mastering the uni.

UniBrier's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1404