Water-out hole in the wrong place?

Old December 18th 07, 11:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Water-out hole in the wrong place?

http://i8.ebayimg.com/07/i/000/cc/df/ae8e_12.JPG

http://i12.ebayimg.com/02/i/000/cc/df/b112_0.JPG
Old December 19th 07, 09:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Dec 19, 12:27 am, "
wrote:
http://i8.ebayimg.com/07/i/000/cc/df/ae8e_12.JPG

http://i12.ebayimg.com/02/i/000/cc/df/b112_0.JPG

It make a pleasant flute-like sound at speed. Water changes the pitch.

Joseph
Old December 20th 07, 03:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Gary Young

On Tue, 18 Dec 2007 15:27:46 -0800, wrote:

http://i8.ebayimg.com/07/i/000/cc/df/ae8e_12.JPG

http://i12.ebayimg.com/02/i/000/cc/df/b112_0.JPG

In that second photo, the hole in the chainstay may be the bridge. You
drill a hole through both walls of both chainstays and then insert a
tube. I've never seen an example of this type of construction, but Tim
Paterek describes it in his framebuilding manual (p. 3-16).
Old December 20th 07, 03:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 21:06:23 -0600, Gary Young
wrote:

On Tue, 18 Dec 2007 15:27:46 -0800, wrote:

http://i8.ebayimg.com/07/i/000/cc/df/ae8e_12.JPG

http://i12.ebayimg.com/02/i/000/cc/df/b112_0.JPG

In that second photo, the hole in the chainstay may be the bridge. You
drill a hole through both walls of both chainstays and then insert a
tube. I've never seen an example of this type of construction, but Tim
Paterek describes it in his framebuilding manual (p. 3-16).

Dear Gary,

You may be right, but the hole would put the bridge awfully close to
the bottom bracket.

I'm not sure if the two uncaptioned pictures are of the same frame or
of different frames.

If they're the same frame (?), the first picture shows a chainstay
bridge in place and much further from the bottom bracket than the hole
in the chainstay in the second picture.

Whatever's going on, it's a good example of how a little explanation
and some better pictures would clear things up.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old December 20th 07, 03:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Gary Young

wrote:

On Tue, 18 Dec 2007 15:27:46 -0800, wrote:

http://i8.ebayimg.com/07/i/000/cc/df/ae8e_12.JPG

http://i12.ebayimg.com/02/i/000/cc/df/b112_0.JPG

In that second photo, the hole in the chainstay may be the bridge. You
drill a hole through both walls of both chainstays and then insert a
tube. I've never seen an example of this type of construction, but Tim
Paterek describes it in his framebuilding manual (p. 3-16).

Dear Gary,

You may be right, but the hole would put the bridge awfully close to the
bottom bracket.

I'm not sure if the two uncaptioned pictures are of the same frame or of
different frames.

If they're the same frame (?), the first picture shows a chainstay
bridge in place and much further from the bottom bracket than the hole
in the chainstay in the second picture.

I think that's the seatstay bridge in the first photo, not the chainstay
bridge. It doesn't look like it's drilled for a brake, so maybe this is a
track bike -- in which case it wouldn't surprise me if the bike had very
short chainstays (and a bridge very close to the bottom bracket).

Whatever's going on, it's a good example of how a little explanation and
some better pictures would clear things up.

Agreed.

Old December 20th 07, 04:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

[...]

Well, more pictures, but I don't know about explaining:

http://tinyurl.com/26svgq

--D-y
Old December 20th 07, 04:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

[...]

Dear D,

Well, at least it explains that Gary's right and that I was wrong
about the bridge--it's a seatstay bridge:

http://i7.ebayimg.com/06/i/000/cc/df/ac7d_12.JPG

I'm not sure what the auction shows about the mystery hole, which is
kinda-sorta further back from a bridgish-thingy:

http://i12.ebayimg.com/02/i/000/cc/df/b112_12.JPG

http://i24.ebayimg.com/08/i/000/cc/df/bc7c_12.JPG

Maybe a very curved chainstay bridge went in through the hole?

http://i6.ebayimg.com/08/i/000/cc/df/a6fe_12.JPG

I can't tell what's happening right behind the bottom bracket.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old December 20th 07, 04:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

In article b312db5c-646c-4fd6-957b-f7aec7020e94
@s8g2000prg.googlegroups.com, says...

Well, more pictures, but I don't know about explaining:

http://tinyurl.com/26svgq

Yes, explanations there, too -- it does specify an open CS bridge and
open tube ends -- most builders either dome the tube ends or fill them
with spelter, but it's not really necessary if the joints are done well,
and it does save fractions of an ounce of filler.

--
is Joshua Putnam
http://www.phred.org/~josh/
Old December 20th 07, 04:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Gary Young

wrote:

[...]

See the bit of blue inside the hole (bc7c_12.JPG)? That's the bridge --
just imagine driving a straight piece of tubing through both chainstays,
cutting the ends flush with the outside walls of the chainstays, and then
brazing it in place. It's like a tunnel through the chainstays. Because
of the presence of the tube, the chainstays themselves are just as much
sealed as on an ordinary frame. (The seatstays are a different matter,
and are probably open at both ends.)

Maybe a very curved chainstay bridge went in through the hole?

What makes you think the chainstay bridge is curved?

Old December 20th 07, 06:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

[...]

You may be right. I can't tell if that's the inside of a piece of
bridge tubing or just the far wall of the chainstay:

http://i24.ebayimg.com/08/i/000/cc/df/bc7c_12.JPG

As for the curving, it looks to me as if the bridge piece in the
chainstay (if there is one--that's how unsure I am) has to be a curved
shape to end up so far forward from the hole (if it's going through
the hole):

http://i12.ebayimg.com/02/i/000/cc/df/b112_12.JPG

But now I wonder if maybe the camera angle is deceiving me.

Frustratingly, we could tell for sure in a second or two if we had the
actual bike. If I had to bet at this point, I'd bet on your
explanation.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel