Discs

Old November 21st 17, 06:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Discs

No humiditty
Old November 21st 17, 09:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On 2017-11-20 18:02, jbeattie wrote:
On Monday, November 20, 2017 at 1:48:00 PM UTC-8, Joerg wrote:

[...]

As I am writing this I am wearing a T-shirt from PricePoint.
It was about $5 on sale, good quality, 100% cotton, very small
logo and otherwise gray. The logo is an inverted smiling shark,
no idea what manufacturer it is supposed to represent.

Some folks think higher priced stuff is better. Often not so.
When I wore $80 running shoes on the bike they were totally
worn and breaking up after a year. $30 shoes, same thing, same
life span. $30 sandals show hardly any wear after a year.

I have some sale-table Giro SPD shoes I got for $89 three or
four years ago, and they're still going strong. I'm about to
jump in them and ride home through about five inches of standing
water. Gore booties, too -- which I'm going to dry and hit with
some Scotchgard tonight. I got some seep through this morning --
but then again, it was storming, and I was riding through five
inches of standing water.

I just had to dry my running shoes in front of the wood stove. It
said "Don't enter when flooded" but oh heck ... then ... oh darn!
Once in you can't turn around.

Also, I abhor any kind of locking pedals. Even removed the loop
pedals from my road bike and mounted ... gasp ... oh horror ...
MTB pedals.

If you were a serious rider, you'd have a shoe drier. Drying shoes
in front of the wood stove is not good for them.

Nah, easy. I stuff crumpled newspaper in there. Of course, one should
not set them so close to the stove that it could ignite when dried.
Since I have several pairs of older running shoes I just take another
for the next ride. Sandals during non-winter months don't have that
issue, they are usually already dry by the time I get home even after a
serious river crossing.

I abhor platforms. I've been in some sort of cleat system for 45
years -- except on resort bikes or touring, although later in life I
used SPDs for touring.

We have very different opinions there. I met a seasoned MTB rider a
couple of weeks ago who had a fast crash and couldn't get one foot out
because of an obstruction. He consequently flew into a pile of rocks
with his bike attached and broke a wrist.

I prefer long-sleeved, non-cotton, tee-shirts for riding,
and those do cost $10-12. Fortunately these are now widely
available at local stores like Walmart.

I can't stand long sleeves when cycling although it would
certainly be better re skin cancer, poison oak brushings and
all that.

Don't you cycle in winter . . . in rain, snow? A short sleeve
t-shirt and lumberjack shirt would work for approximately none of
my riding this time of year. I'd look like a wet dog after
three minutes of my commute. Cotton is a fair weather fabric.
It grows in hot climates.

Well, we are different. When I ride in the Sierra in the dead of
winter I usually take off the lumberjack shirt once the first long
uphill section shows.

Do you only go up -- and is it always dry and sunny? You'd freeze
your ass off around here descending a few thousand feet in a
lumberjack shirt -- cut-offs and sandals, or whatever other homeless
outfit you wear, particularly if its raining or snowing.

That is what other riders ask me as well when they see me. The answer is
no, I don't get cold easily. In winter I wear running shoes though.

I don't believe for a minute that you are descending Sierra passes in the dead of winter in cut-offs, a lumberjack shirt and running shoes -- assuming you can stay upright. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rE6q18tOfVg That's just October. If you can feel your hands after five minutes, more power to you. Personally, I wear appropriate clothes that keep me dry and warm, or as dry and warm as possible. My weekend rides frequently involve hours in the rain, and unless your lumberjack shirt has magical powers, it would be like a wet rug after five minutes -- throw in 35 degree temps and some wind, and you've got instant misery. Why would anyone do that . . . for anti-fashion? It's like the fixie dopes struggling up hill and then beating their kidneys to death on the way down. It's posing in its own right.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old November 21st 17, 09:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 2017-11-20 18:02, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

If anything goes wrong, Joerg can wait for the steam train
rescue in just a couple of days:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-Yew1UQuQE

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old November 21st 17, 09:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-11-20 18:02, jbeattie wrote:
On Monday, November 20, 2017 at 1:48:00 PM UTC-8, Joerg
wrote:

[...]

[...]

I did it here on December-31, on a fat bike, and it looked like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwpUr7bUyio

Fun! You just had to watch it especially on the downhill sections
because there was a layer of ice under the snow. I did wear gloves the
first miles but took them off because better feel for the brakes was needed.

It's not for the faint of heart because everyone and their brother was
trying out the guns they got for Christmas. Because it is closed to
normal traffic in winter the road is a prime destination for target
practice and that time it gets to be extreme.

Personally, I wear appropriate clothes that keep me dry and warm, or
as dry and warm as possible. My weekend rides frequently involve
hours in the rain, and unless your lumberjack shirt has magical
powers, it would be like a wet rug after five minutes -- throw in 35
degree temps and some wind, and you've got instant misery. Why would
anyone do that . . . for anti-fashion? It's like the fixie dopes
struggling up hill and then beating their kidneys to death on the way
down. It's posing in its own right.

I usually wear that shirt to protect my lower back. L4-5-6 aren't so
great and can trigger bad muscle spasms which can be aggravated by cold.
When it's pouring plus cold I wear a rain jacket, of course. When it's
warm and pouring I don't. While waiting at a red light with a muddy
puddle developing under my MTB a guy rolled down the window on the
passenger side and said "Hey, dude, it's raining out there!". I was
soaked but happy like a kid that got to play in the mud. Because I just did.

It's got nothing to do with posing. I feel more comfortable that way. As
a cyclist I have never felt the urge to conform to some fashion code.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old November 22nd 17, 01:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default REI sale

The desk girls called, a package arrived.9

4 REI 20% poly tech T's arrived plus my first beanie, n OR. BOttom end $$ in the REI list, perfectly explained by REI n fitting into my sched.

Tree drapped solstice lights were on when I went down to the Oasis front desk for pickup. Jose n I carroled into the seaon. Wonderful.

Old November 22nd 17, 04:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On 2017-11-20 18:02, jbeattie wrote:
On Monday, November 20, 2017 at 1:48:00 PM UTC-8, Joerg
wrote:

[...]

[...]

That's a darling story. Now try it for six months with cars. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlCjMeEzuV0 Having a wave break over your head is thrilling! It makes me giggle, and people stop and say "dude, you're like soaked!" Now throw in some leaves -- and do it in the dark. http://bikeportland..org/wp-content/...aves-path1.jpg Gotta love those separate bike paths. This is why I wear appropriate rain gear. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CbZgr6nbFk

-- Jay Beattie.
Old November 22nd 17, 06:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-11-20 18:02, jbeattie wrote:
On Monday, November 20, 2017 at 1:48:00 PM UTC-8, Joerg
wrote:

[...]

[...]

That happened during my 1st year in this area. White Rock Road was
flooded but I needed to get to work. Lots of cars behind me, all
stopped. I have an SUV with good ground clearnance and knew where the
road surface is supposed to be under there, so I went. Water shot over
the windshield. I stopped at the other side and saw that they all turned
around.

... It makes me giggle, and people stop and say
"dude, you're like soaked!" Now throw in some leaves -- and do it in
the dark.
http://bikeportland.org/wp-content/u...aves-path1.jpg

Piece of cake. I have that on almost every Sunday ride depending on
season (a rail trail in the forest). I ride that with 770c*25 slicks.

Gotta love those separate bike paths. This is why I wear appropriate
rain gear. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CbZgr6nbFk

That's extreme. Water is normal for many of us though, like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwfygHXzju0

This would be my dream but my wife would scream when I get home:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRyqq5s7g20

Old November 23rd 17, 02:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

goo.gl/DWjYN1 every evening during rainy season coming back from the Library before sunset. Warm warm warm sleep in a damp poly bag outback at bird research station...with synthetic clothing, ball n yellow clip-ons.

I was in Wal this after n Wal was pre xmass stocked. A serious section hmmmm 30x20 adjacent the main checkout aisle stocked with Russell sport drip dry 65% poly 35 cotton, Cheap n cotton takes dye. Nice colors. But WTH, good for Wal. $11

Note that these shirts are lingerie without obvious breathability. The shirts are more coverall when raining or cool over a 100% poly T. In canoe kayaking these fabrics are worn under eg a wet suit trying to prevent rash n encourage support movement. At a substantially higher price n thickness

Vented Discs Ben C Recumbent Biking 35 June 29th 09 02:26 AM
Cable discs Tim Hall UK 13 June 18th 09 11:56 PM
Rollo-Discs Unisykolist Unicycling 5 December 5th 08 01:34 AM
discs vs V brakes ODB Australia 31 October 23rd 06 08:37 AM
new to discs - squeeky when wet ! Steve Walton UK 6 November 21st 04 01:46 PM