Living on my bike for 10 weeks now and f*cking exhausted

Old September 14th 20, 11:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

Default Living on my bike for 10 weeks now and f*cking exhausted

On Monday, September 14, 2020 at 2:44:12 PM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:

People who ride around the world bivouac outside of metropolitan areas or use hotels and hostels in metropolitan areas -- or rely on the kindness of others. This is a fun read: https://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Man-Who.../dp/0593066987 He rode all around the world without incident and then got mugged in some seedy motel in Louisiana. MAGA!

Thanks! I will. Reminds me of "Miles from Nowhere". She and her husband rode around the world. Then she got hit by a car and killed back home in santa barbara while training for a triathalon.

I didn't actually care for the text of the book, but whatever. The one I liked was the one about the group of 20-somethings riding across the USSR. "Off the Map". Filled me with questions about Vladivostok - who lives there, what is the culture, etc, and left me with my understanding of the USSR.. (There are two kinds of people, basically: soviets and russians. Soviets have blonde hair and dainty noses, and run things. Russians have dark hair and disappear in the middle of the night. There is nary a russian family in the land which has not had a father, an uncle, a brother disappear in the middle of the night.)
But it's the photos of Vladivostok that made me long to go there someday.

Old September 14th 20, 11:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

On Friday, September 4, 2020 at 6:31:34 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:

I do remember getting slightly hassled for trying to sleep while parked
on the street in Virginia Beach, and being informed by Cape Cod police
that we had to move on because sleeping in a vehicle was illegal
everywhere on the Cape. But that was balanced by camping in the long
driveway of a mansion then having the young guy living there (whose
parents were away) invite us in for a free breakfast.

No ****!!! The Great Gatsby?!? Wow!
Old September 14th 20, 11:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

On Thursday, September 10, 2020 at 6:21:34 PM UTC-7, Mike A Schwab wrote:

Not an actual log page, but a humorous suggestion, How To Camp Anywhere.
https://www.phred.org/~alex/kenkifer...r/howtocam.htm
Ken's actual suggestions were out of town locations where you could not be spotted, or ask a homeowner or a police officer where you can camp for one or two days. Often beside the police parking lot or the nearest park.

Thanks Mike!! I am sure it will be awesome coming from Ken. Will read it tonite-
Old September 14th 20, 11:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

On Friday, September 4, 2020 at 8:38:41 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:

Didn't Oregon used to have a bumper sticker, "Welcome to Oregon. Now go
home." ? That summarizes those conflicting tendencies.

It is still alive in the central coast of CA, too - unless i am mistaken the central coast between big sur and morrow bay still has a no-growth law. Assholes!

There certainly was one saying "Don't blame me, I voted for McGovern" as late as 1976 or 78 or so, faded and peeling
The one I like tho is "Jeez if you love Honkus"
Old September 15th 20, 12:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 9/14/2020 5:06 PM, Doug Landau wrote:
On Thursday, September 3, 2020 at 6:15:46 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:

You might want to look into the Warm Showers organization & website.

LOL I was on it back when it was a mailing list that started here, (ok, in .rides :-)

Then I joined it a few years back. But a)I got a notice that I am kicked off or suspended or on hold or something for not using it, just recently, which irked me

Yes, I get an occasional email asking me to check in. Not surprisingly,
we haven't hosted anyone this year.

But also, I asked a friend back in march if I could take a shower at his place, and said I don't think I have covid cuz I got no symptoms, and also that I'd spray the thing down with lysol afterwards, and he agreed and I did. Those things seemed to make sense to say, but in the process of saying them I started feeling guilty about what I was doing in the 1st place. Even tho I myself think the risk is actually no greater then using the same grocery store. I realize that anybody on warm showers who is still open to receiving tourists simply aint worried about it.

On Warm Showers, a host can specify what services he'll provide. It's
easy to accept guests only by providing a backyard camping spot.

--
- Frank Krygowski