What bulb for dynamo.

Old July 12th 05, 01:00 AM
Martin Dann

Default What bulb for dynamo.

I have an old cateye dual daylight system (push fit flange bulbs), the
battery has died again, and I am fed up with haveing to charge lights every
few days. I often forget. So am strongly thinking of getting a dynamo system.

The Shimano NX32 6V 3W Dynohub with Mavic Rim look nice.

What bulb(s) do I need. Do I need special dynamo bulbs, or will any
6V3W push fit bulb do.

Can I use cateye 2.4 W bulbs?

Martin.

--
According to the human genome project, humans are 50-60% bananas.
When emailing me, please include the word Banana in the subject line.
Old July 12th 05, 07:24 AM
Zog The Undeniable

Martin Dann wrote:
I have an old cateye dual daylight system (push fit flange bulbs), the
battery has died again, and I am fed up with haveing to charge lights every
few days. I often forget. So am strongly thinking of getting a dynamo system.

The Shimano NX32 6V 3W Dynohub with Mavic Rim look nice.

What bulb(s) do I need. Do I need special dynamo bulbs, or will any
6V3W push fit bulb do.

The latter, usually made by Philips or Reflectalite.

Can I use cateye 2.4 W bulbs?

Only if you also have a 0.6W taillamp.
Old July 12th 05, 08:37 AM
ian henden

"Martin Dann" wrote in message
I have an old cateye dual daylight system (push fit flange bulbs), the
battery has died again, and I am fed up with haveing to charge lights
every
few days. I often forget. So am strongly thinking of getting a dynamo
system.

The Shimano NX32 6V 3W Dynohub with Mavic Rim look nice.

What bulb(s) do I need. Do I need special dynamo bulbs, or will any
6V3W push fit bulb do.

Can I use cateye 2.4 W bulbs?

You don't need any bulbs at all.

If you do have any bulbs, best plant them in the ground and watch them grow.

Might I suggest you use lamps instead ...... if you put electricity through
*lamps*, then they glow. Bulbs *grow*.

--
Ian

Old July 12th 05, 08:56 AM
Buck

On 07/12/2005 08:37:58 "ian henden" wrote:

"Martin Dann" wrote in message

I have an old cateye dual daylight system (push fit flange bulbs), the
battery has died again, and I am fed up with haveing to charge lights
every few days. I often forget. So am strongly thinking of getting a
dynamo system.

The Shimano NX32 6V 3W Dynohub with Mavic Rim look nice.

What bulb(s) do I need. Do I need special dynamo bulbs, or will any 6V3W
push fit bulb do.

Can I use cateye 2.4 W bulbs?

You don't need any bulbs at all.

If you do have any bulbs, best plant them in the ground and watch them
grow.

Might I suggest you use lamps instead ...... if you put electricity
through *lamps*, then they glow. Bulbs *grow*.

The word "bulb" refers to the shape, seeds grow, bulbs are just bulb shaped.

--

Buck

I would rather be out on my Catrike

http://www.catrike.co.uk
Old July 12th 05, 09:18 AM
Peter Clinch

Martin Dann wrote:
I have an old cateye dual daylight system (push fit flange bulbs), the
battery has died again, and I am fed up with haveing to charge lights every
few days. I often forget. So am strongly thinking of getting a dynamo system.

The Shimano NX32 6V 3W Dynohub with Mavic Rim look nice.

The newer Shimano Ultegra and XT dynohubs aren't much more and are
reckoned to be quite an improvement over the Nexus. See
http://kinetics.org.uk/html/shimano_hubs.shtml

What bulb(s) do I need. Do I need special dynamo bulbs, or will any
6V3W push fit bulb do.

Can I use cateye 2.4 W bulbs?

If you're not running a tail-light it won't be a huge amount of time
before you blow it. It'll work as an emergency spare, maybe for a few
months, but it'll blow well within the life of a 3W bulb.

I got Roos an Ultegra hub built into a wheel and a B&M Lumotec Oval
Senso Plus (with a 3W bulb) for Christmas, and it's done very well. The
lamp has a light sensor and just turns itself on as light falls. Sounds
gimmicky but works very well, and eliminating the mechanical switch
makes it potentially more reliable.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Old July 12th 05, 11:19 AM
m-gineering

Martin Dann wrote:

I have an old cateye dual daylight system (push fit flange bulbs), the
battery has died again, and I am fed up with haveing to charge lights every
few days. I often forget. So am strongly thinking of getting a dynamo system.

The Shimano NX32 6V 3W Dynohub with Mavic Rim look nice.

What bulb(s) do I need. Do I need special dynamo bulbs, or will any
6V3W push fit bulb do.

This still won't protect the bulb from overvoltage on descents, as a
batterylight won't have the necessary zehner to limit overvoltage.
---
Marten Gerritsen

INFOapestaartjeM-GINEERINGpuntNL
www.m-gineering.nl
Old July 12th 05, 01:08 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 07:24:07 +0100, Zog The Undeniable
wrote:

The Shimano NX32 6V 3W Dynohub with Mavic Rim look nice.

Ho yus. Also check out the SON, but the Nexus is top value.

What bulb(s) do I need. Do I need special dynamo bulbs, or will any
6V3W push fit bulb do.

The latter, usually made by Philips or Reflectalite.

Wot Zog said. I also got a micro maglite and put it and two spare
lamps in the Maglite case, in my tool pack. Needed once, and was glad
I had it.

Can I use cateye 2.4 W bulbs?

Only if you also have a 0.6W taillamp.

Er, no, you can use 2.4W with or without tail lamp, but of you have no
tail lamp then why not use 3W. Which is prolly what you meant?

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at CHS, Puget Sound
Old July 12th 05, 01:09 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 09:18:12 +0100, Peter Clinch
wrote:

Can I use cateye 2.4 W bulbs?

If you're not running a tail-light it won't be a huge amount of time
before you blow it. It'll work as an emergency spare, maybe for a few
months, but it'll blow well within the life of a 3W bulb.

IME the Shimano smart switch stops this happening.

Old July 12th 05, 01:26 PM
Peter Clinch

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

IME the Shimano smart switch stops this happening.

All very well if you have a Shimano Smart Switch... but I don't! And
I've blown up a couple of 2.4s in the SON powered Brom setup (first was
finding out the hard way that's what happens, 2nd was its replacement
which I had handy at the time but then lost the Round Tuit to get a
proper 3W replacement before it also went Foom some time later).

Pete.

Old July 12th 05, 01:41 PM
dkahn400

ian henden wrote:

If you do have any bulbs, best plant them in the ground and watch
them grow.

Might I suggest you use lamps instead ...... if you put
electricity through *lamps*, then they glow. Bulbs *grow*.

www.dictionary.com gives a number of definitions of "bulb", one of
which is "An incandescent lamp or its glass housing". Perhaps you
should write to them to let them know they've got it wrong.

--
Dave...