Bicycle discrimination in toddler book

Old September 22nd 05, 10:49 AM
ghostgum

Default Bicycle discrimination in toddler book

I was reading a book to my daughter today. The book is small
enough for young hands with 6 thick cardboard pages. This book
was on transport and had one vehicle per page. When I got to
the end of the book, I realised that the humble bicycle was not
mentioned at all. I didn't realise that the discrimination was that
bad. They indoctrinate one year olds that the bicycle is not
transport. Should I throw out this book, or recommend to the
publisher that a bicycle should be added to the next edition?

--
ghostgum

Old September 22nd 05, 11:26 AM
Peter Keller

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 19:49:45 +1000, ghostgum wrote:

I was reading a book to my daughter today. The book is small
enough for young hands with 6 thick cardboard pages. This book
was on transport and had one vehicle per page. When I got to
the end of the book, I realised that the humble bicycle was not
mentioned at all. I didn't realise that the discrimination was that
bad. They indoctrinate one year olds that the bicycle is not
transport. Should I throw out this book, or recommend to the
publisher that a bicycle should be added to the next edition?

A sad sign of the times.
Here in NZ we have just had an election. The Green Party never once used
the word "bicycle" in any of their campaigning! *Sigh* Only 20% of NZ
children now ride bikes regularly, compared to everybody when I was young.

Peter

--
If you are careful enough in life, nothing bad -- or
good -- will ever happen to you.

Old September 22nd 05, 12:40 PM
cfsmtb

ghostgum Wrote:
I was reading a book to my daughter today. The book is small
enough for young hands with 6 thick cardboard pages. This book
was on transport and had one vehicle per page. When I got to
the end of the book, I realised that the humble bicycle was not
mentioned at all. I didn't realise that the discrimination was that
bad. They indoctrinate one year olds that the bicycle is not
transport. Should I throw out this book, or recommend to the
publisher that a bicycle should be added to the next edition?

Write to the publisher and duly complain!

BTW, what was included as 'transport'? Big trucks, sleek sports cars,
space shuttles, diesel trains, jet ski's...

--
cfsmtb

Old September 22nd 05, 01:06 PM
ghostgum

cfsmtb Wrote:

Write to the publisher and duly complain!
BTW, what was included as 'transport'? Big trucks, sleek sports cars,
space shuttles, diesel trains, jet ski's...

Train, motor cycle, helicopter, fire engine, tractor,
convertible car (pink!), yacht, aeroplane, transport
carrier (semi-trailer carrying cars), truck.
All the pictures are of toys, so perhaps the problem
is that they couldn't find a toy bicycle.

At least my daughter will see that I ride to work,
even if it isn't in the book. It was your bicycle
activism that made me notice that the bicycle
was excluded from the book and question why.

--
ghostgum

Old September 22nd 05, 01:44 PM
aeek

ghostgum Wrote:

All the pictures are of toys, so perhaps the problem
is that they couldn't find a toy bicycle.

Myth: bicycles are toys!

--
aeek

Old September 22nd 05, 02:00 PM
cfsmtb

aeek Wrote:
Myth: bicycles are toys!

Correct response sir!

BTW we have three little toys bicycles in our household. A Barbie pink
placcie thing, a nifty metal Chinese roadie thing that looks like it's
got beltdrive and working spring brake & a teenie-weenie bmx. Oh, about
20 real ones.

--
cfsmtb

Old September 22nd 05, 11:51 PM
Sam R.

ghostgum wrote:
I was reading a book to my daughter today.

[...]
They indoctrinate one year olds that the bicycle is not
transport. Should I throw out this book, or recommend to the
publisher that a bicycle should be added to the next edition?

Maybe one year old is a good time to teach your daughter that books
don't present a complete view of the world?

Have you tried searching second hand store for Richard Scary books? He
has a number of "things that go" based books, some which have bicycles
in them. Others, which are car focused, ridicule car culture in subtle
ways.

yours,
Sam R.

Bicycleism Bicycleism Social Issues 1 July 19th 05 01:58 PM
Bicycle helmets help prevent serious head injury among children, part one. John Doe UK 3 November 30th 04 04:46 PM
published helmet research - not troll patrick Racing 1790 November 8th 04 04:16 AM
Who is going to Interbike? Bruce Gilbert Techniques 2 October 10th 03 09:26 PM