Burley trailer use with baby and toddler

Old September 5th 03, 04:43 PM
chris French

Default Burley trailer use with baby and toddler

In message , TimW
writes

In the end I decided to go for a carseat attached into the trailer
however as others have found a standard seat takes up most of the room
leaving no space for a 2 year old as well. A few hours in the garage
with some tools solved that problem

I am thinking of writing up the process of altering the car seat and
posting (possibly with pics) on the web somewhere - it certainly would
have helped me to see how others had done it.

Anyone in the same situation interested? don't want to waste time
doing something no-one wants !!!!

I'm not at the moment - only one kid., but it would certainly be useful
to see how you did it.

On this topic Weber do a baby seat designed to fit into trailers, that
is supposed to leave space for a second child, as it doesn't need to be
as bulky as a car seat.

Saving up for the triplet now then :-)
--
Chris French, Leeds
Old September 6th 03, 10:38 AM
Marten Hoffmann

schreef ...

I'm not at the moment - only one kid., but it would certainly be useful
to see how you did it.

On this topic Weber do a baby seat designed to fit into trailers, that
is supposed to leave space for a second child, as it doesn't need to be
as bulky as a car seat.

I can't give you an english version of this, but the seat looks
something like this:
http://tinyurl.com/mfwv

My neighbours have two of these seats in one trailer: they got blessed
with twins last March!

--
Regards,
Marten
Old September 6th 03, 04:41 PM
Ron Hardin

Sparks wrote:
You can strictly follow the guidelines written by the Burley lawyers or
you can use common sense. How exactly is a car seat secured to a burley
less safe than without?

The reason this warning is there is because of the possibility of some
idiot just setting a car seat unsecured in the trailer...no written
warning and this idiot can sue burley and probably win...there's no
other reason.

It might be a hidden hazard, which they would do better to explain than not.

In particular, the roughness of the ride increases dramatically if the
child is lightweight. His mass does not diminish shocks by making the
suspension take them up, like a larger child.

The suspension is designed for a specific weight range. Too heavy compresses
it too much and too light never enables it.

The suspension in this case is the padding from seats and support.

So watch out for shaken baby syndrome.
--
Ron Hardin

Old September 6th 03, 07:10 PM
Sparks

In article ,
Ron Hardin wrote:

So watch out for shaken baby syndrome.

are you serious or just spreading misinformation? Oh I forgot, this is
usenet...it's the latter.

to the first poster: I ride a couple days a week with my 8 month old
strapped in my Burley Cub. She loves riding around and the ride is
pretty smooth (on and off road). Once she was sitting up pretty well
on her own and had good head control we started using it. It's alot of
fun and good for me on those "recovery" days after racing.

________________________________

Remove S.P.A.M in email adddress
Climb at mac dot com
________________________________
Old September 6th 03, 07:46 PM
JohnB

Sparks wrote:

In article ,
Ron Hardin wrote:

So watch out for shaken baby syndrome.

are you serious or just spreading misinformation? Oh I forgot, this is
usenet...it's the latter.

Nah. I reckon he's an american lawyer.

to the first poster: I ride a couple days a week with my 8 month old
strapped in my Burley Cub. She loves riding around and the ride is
pretty smooth (on and off road).

All our children were introduced to the cycling world in a Burley d'Lite.

I think I failed tho. - my eldest rode away from me on the last hill
before home this afternoon :-(

John B

Old September 6th 03, 08:23 PM
Sandy Morton

In article ,
Sparks wrote:
I ride a couple days a week with my 8 month old
strapped in my Burley Cub. She loves riding around and the ride is
pretty smooth (on and off road). Once she was sitting up pretty well
on her own and had good head control we started using it. It's alot of
fun and good for me on those "recovery" days after racing.

The Burley Cub is the best trailer I have ever used.

--
A T (Sandy) Morton
on the Bicycle Island
Old September 7th 03, 07:03 AM
one of the six billion

"TimW" wrote in message
om...
Bought a Burley D'light trailer a year ago to accomodate my then 1
year old daughter when going for strictly recreational cycling trips
(a limitation of me not the trailer!). A year later and a new baby boy
arrives giving me a cycling headache. Scoured the web and groups and
although I found some information there was little specific to
carrying 2 kids of this age.

In the end I decided to go for a carseat attached into the trailer
however as others have found a standard seat takes up most of the room
leaving no space for a 2 year old as well. A few hours in the garage
with some tools solved that problem (removed approx 3 inches in width
from the carseat - not for use in a car now obviously). Another hour
or so and a basic frame and attachement system was in place.

Tested the trailer yesterday, baby, toddler, picnic, nappies and a
variety of toys all fitted in so off we went (Mum came along on her
bike, there are some things that I am physically unable to provide for
a baby).

Didn't go far (like I said recreational cycling only) but it all
seemed to work.

I am thinking of writing up the process of altering the car seat and
posting (possibly with pics) on the web somewhere - it certainly would
have helped me to see how others had done it.

Anyone in the same situation interested? don't want to waste time
doing something no-one wants !!!!

Happy cycling everyone.......Tim

What age baby are you talking about?

Old September 9th 03, 01:05 AM
Dave Salovesh

In ,
Sparks opined:

You can strictly follow the guidelines written by the Burley lawyers or
you can use common sense. How exactly is a car seat secured to a burley
less safe than without?

I never said it was.

All I was saying was that if you can't figure out how to do it on your
own, you probably haven't put enough thought into it to know if someone
else's instructions are safe or not, and finally, no, we shouldn't put
people in the position where it's easier to do something than it is to
understand it.

But if that isn't clear to you, this probably won't be either:

What sort of instructions does one write to help people who don't follow
instructions? What sort of common-sense warnings would they heed if
they won't heed the one that says not to do it in the first place?

The reason this warning is there is because of the possibility of some
idiot just setting a car seat unsecured in the trailer...no written
warning and this idiot can sue burley and probably win...there's no
other reason.

Remember folks, this is from a person who claims that if it's on USENET
it's mis-information. Apparently s/he's the only exception...

Oh well.

--
Dave Salovesh