Towing a bicycle

Old June 27th 06, 12:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default Towing a bicycle

Is there any device that I can use, or make, or when I want to tow one
of my kid's bicycles behind me (without the kid on it). Sometimes I want
to bring their bicycle with me when they're at a friend's house, and I
have to pick them up.

I have a tandem, but it's too big for my younger child, and I took the
Burley kid-back stoker off because adults want to ride it now, and it's
a hassle to change it over.
Old June 27th 06, 12:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

SMS wrote:
Is there any device that I can use, or make, or when I want to tow one
of my kid's bicycles behind me (without the kid on it). Sometimes I want
to bring their bicycle with me when they're at a friend's house, and I
have to pick them up.

A "Gatorbar" is a device meant for towing a kid's bike *with* the kid
on it (and the front wheel off the ground) - it should work without the
kid, too.

It would be a bit of overkill, mind you.

Old June 27th 06, 02:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

"SMS" wrote: Is there any device that I can use, or make, or when I want to
tow one
of my kid's bicycles behind me (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
A number of years ago my favorite mechanic, Conrad Oho, in Marin County,
attached a simple skewer mount(similar to the setup used on cartop bike
racks). I saw him buy a bike at the Marin Flea Market and tow it home.

Anyone else remember Conrad? Anyone know where he is today?

Old June 27th 06, 09:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

SMS wrote:
Is there any device that I can use, or make, or when I want to tow one
of my kid's bicycles behind me (without the kid on it). Sometimes I want
to bring their bicycle with me when they're at a friend's house, and I
have to pick them up.

I have a tandem, but it's too big for my younger child, and I took the
Burley kid-back stoker off because adults want to ride it now, and it's
a hassle to change it over.

http://www.trail-gator.com/

You could make a similar device too, but the pivot needs to be sort of
non-sloppy if you expect it to work at all well.

Joseph

Old June 27th 06, 09:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Mike A Schwab wrote:
http://www.bikesatwork.com/bike-trai...cessories.html

I'm personally thinking about picking up the TrayBien accessory for my
Xtracycle. It would be rather excellent for garage sales I think.

http://www.xtracycle.com/traybien-p-71.html

--
Dane Buson -
Each person has the right to take part in the management of public affairs
Old June 28th 06, 02:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

If it's not too far, just push it by the seat alongside you as you ride.
It will self-steer pretty much to stay at a fixed distance from you.

I've transported a second (adult) bicycle several miles that way.
--
Ron Hardin

Old July 7th 06, 03:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

SMS writes:

Is there any device that I can use, or make, or when I want to tow one
of my kid's bicycles behind me (without the kid on it).

I've had some success with attaching the handlebars of the towed bike to
the frame of a standard child (well...dog) trailer.
http://lairds.org/Kyler/photos/disk0...g/image_viewer

--kyler
Old July 7th 06, 06:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Kyler Laird wrote:
SMS writes:

Is there any device that I can use, or make, or when I want to tow one
of my kid's bicycles behind me (without the kid on it).

I've had some success with attaching the handlebars of the towed bike to
the frame of a standard child (well...dog) trailer.
http://lairds.org/Kyler/photos/disk0...g/image_viewer

Yes, that might work. Too bad I just sold my Burley trailer!