My 'Bent Is Starting to Annoy Me

Old December 29th 06, 07:13 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.marketplace,rec.bicycles.misc,nyc.bicycles
Edward Dolan

Default My 'Bent Is Starting to Annoy Me

"* * Chas" wrote in message

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message
news:6dSdnZrjUMDqhA_YnZ2dnUVZ_s6onZ2d@prairiewave. com...

"* * Chas" wrote in message

"KERRY MONTGOMERY" wrote in message
ink.net...

snip
I've been around bikes for the past 40 years, around this world for
56,
and
in fact can live with upright bicycles.
Kerry

Sniveling, dirty legged kid, 55 and 63 respectively.

I tried riding a bent for a few minutes about 30 years ago and I just

felt
to [too] uncomfortable trying to keep it balanced.

I can appreciate that for some people with physical limitations, a bent

is
the only way that they can enjoy cycling. That's great for them.

Chas.

It has nothing to do with physical limitations. It has everything to do

with
comfort. What an idiot you are!

Uffda!

Chill out dude and have some more lutefisk and lefse.....

Go ride your 2 wheeled piece of lawn furniture in peace!

Also, learn to follow a thread. My comment was a response to KERRY
MONTGOMERY not YOU.

Like I said before, what an idiot you are. Observe the newsgroups that a
message is going to. Anyone on any of the groups who is following the
messages can reply in whatever manner he so chooses. That is what Usenet is
all about. Try to get up to speed why don't you?

If you only want to talk to this other jerk, Kerry Montgomery, then do it
via email and do not bother the rest of us.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Old December 29th 06, 07:28 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.marketplace,rec.bicycles.misc,nyc.bicycles
Edward Dolan

wrote in message
oups.com...

ALL TOP POSTERS ARE IDIOTS!

If I can ride a bike for 4-6 hours I consider it comfortable. My
Lemond road bike and C;dale cross bike fit that bill fine. I have the
bars only slightly below saddle, a Brooks seat and I;m fine. My MTB's
are torture machines and cannot ride for more than an hour before neck
shouler wrist pain start!!

4 to 6 hours in one day is not nearly good enough. Can you ride 8 to 10
hours a day for 2 weeks at a time? I thought not! No, if you want to be able
to do that you will have to get a recumbent. There is no other way.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Edward Dolan wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
Get a real bike and more people can fix it!!!

Big Jim has a good point here, but he does not realize how much we
recumbent
cyclists insist on comfort, something that you can never get on an
upright.

When I ride an upright and it starts to cause me pain I get so freaking
mad
I could kill myself for being so stupid as to think an upright could ever
be
comfortable for more than half an hour. Screw all uprights all the way to
hell and back! The g.d. things are nothing but torture racks. One thing
is
for sure, they were never designed for the human anatomy.

Old December 29th 06, 07:43 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.marketplace,rec.bicycles.misc,nyc.bicycles
Edward Dolan

"Jim Behning" wrote in message
nk.net...
Prisoner at War wrote:
wrote:
If I can ride a bike for 4-6 hours I consider it comfortable. My
Lemond road bike and C;dale cross bike fit that bill fine. I have the
bars only slightly below saddle, a Brooks seat and I;m fine. My MTB's
are torture machines and cannot ride for more than an hour before neck
shouler wrist pain start!!

I can ride my uprights all day continously and be comfortable.

The problem is that within two weeks my back will be aching like crazy.
And I am likely one of the few young 'bent-riders around at age 34.

I never had a problem with my wrists or shoulders from upright biking,
though. I do change hand positions for comfort, but no regular problem
has ever developed. It's only my back that's really affected. I agree
that frame geometry and a proper saddle do a lot for comfort on an
upright, and I don't blame bike-riding per se for my bad back -- it
kind of started in childhood and was really messed up in the Army but
upright bikes and even jogging exacerbates it.

My sports doc recommended a 'bent, and that was my excuse to splurge
thousands.

It's been great fun, but getting annoying now with all the break-downs.

I do better with the sore back issues if I keep up with core muscle
training. I got a pretty sore back on an 8 hour mountain bike ride/race
but part of that is a way to tight left quad. I need to stretch that
muscle more. Massage therapists have said I have tight hamstrings. I need
to a lot more stretching I guess.

Jim proves my point about uprights being essentially uncomfortable unless
you are in tip top shape. I refuse to do any kind of training just so I can
ride a bike. Perish the thought! I ride a bike strictly for the fun of it
and if I have to train in order to do it, then it is no longer any fun.

Back problems especially won't go away unless you do some kind of
strengthening exercise to get those back and abdominal muscles into shape.
Furthermore, the older you get, the more this becomes a losing proposition.
I will not do any kind of training or exercise just so I can ride a bike.
What foolishness!

My cross bike is more comfortable than my road bike. I need to get a
shorter stem and maybe raise the stem a bit on the road bike. Little
things can make big differences.

All you are doing is rearranging the deck chairs on a sinking ship. Get a
recumbent and forget all this nonsense about trying to be comfortable on an
upright. It ain't ever going to happen.

Old December 29th 06, 07:45 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.marketplace,rec.bicycles.misc,nyc.bicycles
Edward Dolan

wrote in message
ups.com...

Edward Dolan wrote:

When I ride an upright and it starts to cause me pain I get so freaking
mad
I could kill myself for being so stupid ....

Damn, we were this close. (He says holding his finger and thumb only a
mm. apart.)

Ken

I throw in lines like the above in order to give types like Ken something to
say.

Old December 29th 06, 09:59 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.marketplace,rec.bicycles.misc,nyc.bicycles
Peter Clinch

Prisoner at War wrote:

I only wonder how folks manage to take this model 'bent on them Third
World tours if I'm having issues with it from simply riding around
town! From the beginning the rear air shock suddenly stopped working.
In another two weeks I managed to shred the top teflon tube somehow.
Then the front disc brake rotor became permanently warped. Then the
back ones. Did I mention the rear mudguard cracking in two? Sunday,
about the whole drivetrain came undone: broken chain, a bent chainring,
the idler spring clamp kaputt. Interestingly, the Thracian wheelset
has held up just fine, AFAIK.

I can't see any way to bend a chainwheel without a really good quality
crash. You're cursed would appear to be your problem.

Good God, but this is starting to be like dealing with your PC: "now
what???" comes to mind more and more. And this seems to me
recumbency's fatal flaw preventing it from wider adoptation: it's too
****ing complicated!

No, the problem isn't complication, it's your personal curse. Repair
work I have done to my similar bike in 5 years is... a couple of flats,
a minor fettle of spoke tension and, errrrr, that's it. That includes
plenty of off-road and fully loaded touring.

And I can't believe how many of the nuts and
bolts on my SMGTe do not seem to be off-the-shelf stuff you can get at
a hardware store. Also, there should be a re-assembly instruction
sheet for owners included with the bikes, since not all LBSes know or
care about servicing 'bents.

I've yet to see anything on the bike that's so non-standard a decent
bike shop with basic mechanical competence can't work with it. Perhaps
your personal curse extends to your choice of bike shop too? I took
mine along to some bike maintenance classes and there wasn't anything in
general running we couldn't deal with using standard tools. The only
obvious changes between the original GT and e mechanically are a
different idler wheel and the seat, neither of which are exactly rocket
science.

Recumbents are fun when they work, but mine is finally going to make a
grease-monkey out of me! The HP Velo SMGTe is still the most
comfortable 'bent around

You have no way of knowing that even for yourself: different people find
different things comfortable and you have ridden roughly 0 other
machines to compare to AFAICT.

but it requires a lot of attention,

Only if you've got a personal curse. It does happen.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
Old December 30th 06, 09:51 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.marketplace,rec.bicycles.misc,nyc.bicycles
KERRY MONTGOMERY

"* * Chas" wrote in message

[...]

Which part of my posting caused you to call me a jerk?
Thanks,
Kerry

Old December 30th 06, 10:20 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.marketplace,rec.bicycles.misc,nyc.bicycles
Edward Dolan

"* * Chas" wrote in message

[...]

Kerry, you are quite right. It was a spill-over from having to deal with a
real jerk who goes by the name of Chas. You are an innocent bystander in
this folderol. I need to get more focused on who my enemies are as I am
coming to think more and more that ANYONE who posts to these cycling
newsgroups is my enemy. I may in fact becoming paranoid. Thanks for the
comeuppance.

Old December 31st 06, 03:11 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.marketplace,rec.bicycles.misc,nyc.bicycles
Jim Behning

Prisoner at War wrote:
wrote:
[...]

In days of old people had to work all day to feed themselves. Since
modern man has chosen to not not work to feed themselves then you have
to do some activities to replace the work activities my grandfather did.
Of course you do not have to do anything. I just believe that doing some
exercises to keep muscles besides my legs is beneficial to me. Core
exercises are not just to help a person ride a bike. They help you stay
healthy in all the activiies you might do. I built a 2700 sf barn
practically by myself. I have a bunch of stumps I need to dig out. I
have a few dug out already. Sit ups, squats, curls and bench presses
help the weekend warier tasks less painful or epic. Of course if you do
nothing but ride a bike then you may never need to be in shape. Of
course then you do not want to have kids you might want to pick up. Or
groceries you might take out of the car. I ride a bike. I race maybe 20
races a year on the mountain bike, the cross bike and maybe even run a
road race. It is real hard to be competitive on a recumbent but if you
don't do those fun races then it does not matter to you. I don't use a
Macintosh either.
Old December 31st 06, 03:16 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.marketplace,rec.bicycles.misc,nyc.bicycles
Jim Behning

Edward Dolan wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

ALL TOP POSTERS ARE IDIOTS!

If I can ride a bike for 4-6 hours I consider it comfortable. My
Lemond road bike and C;dale cross bike fit that bill fine. I have the
bars only slightly below saddle, a Brooks seat and I;m fine. My MTB's
are torture machines and cannot ride for more than an hour before neck
shouler wrist pain start!!

4 to 6 hours in one day is not nearly good enough. Can you ride 8 to 10
hours a day for 2 weeks at a time? I thought not! No, if you want to be able
to do that you will have to get a recumbent. There is no other way.

The thing is you can ride an upright bike, get your ride done in 4
hours, get your shower, get your lunch and still see the recumbent ride
in hours later. 6 hours on my road bike is 100 miles if I am riding
easy. Yes I have ridden for a week straight 5-8 hours a day. I could
have ridden two weeks but I scheduled a week for vacation. I have no
desire to sit in a chair 8 hours a day on vacation or at work. The body
is not designed to sit for that long.
Old December 31st 06, 09:54 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.marketplace,rec.bicycles.misc,nyc.bicycles
Peter Clinch

Jim Behning wrote:

The thing is you can ride an upright bike, get your ride done in 4
hours, get your shower, get your lunch and still see the recumbent ride
in hours later.

Depends a lot on the bike. If you check you'll find that the right
sort of recumbents hold the aces for speed. The UK End to End
Land's End to John O' Groats 800+ mile road record is held on a
recumbent (a shade over 41 hours), with Andy Wilkinson beating his
own upright record to get it, so you can can even factor out the rider.

I have no
desire to sit in a chair 8 hours a day on vacation or at work. The body
is not designed to sit for that long.

Since it isn't designed for a bike saddle /at all/, that's not a
good approach to the argument!

Pete.