Advice on the Street Machine GT recumbent?

Old September 3rd 04, 04:56 PM
Roy Grant

Default Advice on the Street Machine GT recumbent?

I'm leaning towards buying a Street Machine GT recumbent. I considered
a Tidal Wave from actionbent as well, but am tempted by the rear
suspension. For an under seat steering bike, is it worth the money?
Are there better options out there for comfort and durability for a
casual rider (1000-2000 miles/year)?

NOTE: this is my second attempt at posting here, apologies if a
similar duplicate appears, it seems to have been lost.
Old September 4th 04, 04:22 AM
Mark Leuck

"Roy Grant" wrote in message
om...
I'm leaning towards buying a Street Machine GT recumbent. I considered
a Tidal Wave from actionbent as well, but am tempted by the rear
suspension. For an under seat steering bike, is it worth the money?
Are there better options out there for comfort and durability for a
casual rider (1000-2000 miles/year)?

NOTE: this is my second attempt at posting here, apologies if a
similar duplicate appears, it seems to have been lost.

I've ridden the Speed Machine and found it a very good ride so I'd imagine
the Street Machine would work as well or better.

I also rode 2,000+ miles on a Vision R50 with both front and rear suspension
and it too was a great ride, you might try looking for one on Ebay

Old September 4th 04, 04:24 PM
Bob Stan

On 3 Sep 2004 08:56:36 -0700, Roy Grant wrote:

I'm leaning towards buying a Street Machine GT recumbent. I considered
a Tidal Wave from actionbent as well, but am tempted by the rear
suspension. For an under seat steering bike, is it worth the money?

Assuming you ride on fairly decent roads, I think the value of suspension is
overrated, plus you pay a significant weight penalty, not to mention adding
one (or two) mechanical devices that must be maintained. YMMV

Old September 6th 04, 11:21 AM
Peter Clinch

Cletus Lee wrote:

I had a bike with front suspension and the same bike later with a
different fork. I can't really see a benefit to having suspension on
a road bike that can justify the additional weight.

Depends on the roads. I can overtake a fitter friend on her carbon
framed Look racer on "interesting" backroads around here thanks to the
Streetmachine's suspension. And it pays even more when you're loaded
up. On roads with a good supply of bumps and potholes (and the sort of
roads I like to ride on to get away from it all often do) it makes the
bike /more/ efficient, as well as more comfortable.

Climbing with a
recumbent is really telling. There are lots of things you would
really like to have on a bent besides weight.

IME, which includes a fair bit of climbing with touring loads as well as
empty, everything on the Streetmachine adding the weight is useful. And
that includes the suspension. Well done, it makes a real difference.
Indifferently done, I would agree it's pretty pointless, but HP Vel know
how to do it right. You can put a rigid fork on it if you like: a
dealer we visited in NL had one delivered from HPVel like that, 'cause
he didn't like front sus.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK