A couple of questions about cycling.

Old August 4th 03, 04:31 PM
Gary K

Default A couple of questions about cycling.

I'm not disagreeing with you PC, its horses for courses. I've seen those
foot wide saddles and depending on the type of riding you do and the
position you have on the bike, you probabely are very happy with it.

Others, on racing bikes (& racing mtb's), have a low position where only
approx. 1/3 of their weight is on the saddle (and 1/3 on each of
handlebars and pedals). To have some kind of pedalling effeciency, you
don't want to be sitting on your glutes (bum muscles), because you
need'em for pedalling.
Thats why regular (narrow) saddles are best.

Wide saddles are ok for the sit up and beg riding position, you very
nearly are 100% weighted on the saddle. But your glutes are doing double
workload, they are flexing against the entire weight of your torso and
helping pushing the pedals. Tiring!

PC wrote:

On Mon, 04 Aug 2003 09:44:29 GMT, "Suzy Jackson"
wrote:

Yep, it narrows to about 2" at the front.. Velo market it under the
Webspring brand, and there's at least one other brand on the market
that's similar.. I buy em at Brunswick Street Cycles in Fitzroy..

This fascination casual cyclists have with wide saddles never ceases to
amaze me. Just because a saddle has heaps of padding doesn't mean it's
going to be comfortable.

It also never ceases to amaze me how many people think that everyone
has the same size butt, or is the same weight, or the same height..
This applies especially to bike equipment designers and retailers,
either not making/selling multiple size ranges or not putting them
through proper testing to make a quality product

Anyway, the bones in my posterior seem to be wider set than most, and
need a wider seat, and my legs are set apart, so the wide-ish front
doesn't bother me at all no matter how long I ride.. Even if that
wasn't the case, the sheer thought of my entire upper body weight
sitting on the six square inches of the average saddle frightens me..
Surface area should count for something..

PC