Floor pump prices

Old July 25th 03, 03:10 AM
rickster

Default Floor pump prices

Shabby wrote in message news:3f1f2270
[snip]

Apart from bike shops, I doubt whether the average person needs a
compressor for the once a week pumping up of their tyres. Sounds like an
unneccessary expense to me.

You only pump yoour tyres once a week ?

I do it every time I ride, I like to know what pressure my tyres are at.

RMan
Old July 25th 03, 05:10 AM
Shabby

Rickster wrote:
Shabby wrote in message
news:3f1f2270 [snip]

Apart from bike shops, I doubt whether the average person needs a
compressor for the once a week pumping up of their tyres. Sounds like
an unneccessary expense to me.

You only pump yoour tyres once a week ?
I do it every time I ride, I like to know what pressure my tyres are at.
RMan

Every time you ride sounds a bit obsessive compulsive to me.

For me: Training bike once a week (on average), race bike - every time I
ride it, track bike - every time I ride it. There's enough other things
to do related to cycling without throwing extra pumping in as well
(washing clothes, cleaning bike, charging lights etc.).

The tyres don't go down that much during a week, probably down from
120psi to 100psi by the end of the week if you use good tubes. For
training, that's enough for me to avoid flats, which is the main aim for
the training bike.

Old July 26th 03, 02:11 AM
Scotty

I'm with RMan.
must admit I pump my tires up every time I ride (ok occasionally I dont do
the front!), not obsessive compulsive just making sure the tyres havent gone
down on me and causing more hassles during a ride (especially if I commute
to work). You'd be surprised how much some tubes lose over a period of
time...valve extensions are worse for this too if you have deep section
rims.
each to their own though I s'pose!

om...

Old July 28th 03, 04:52 AM
RS

Bought a Silca pump from Fitzroy Cycles, and am very happy with it. It even
pumped a car type to 30lbs.
It must have mozzed me because I got a flat tyre going homewards. Luckily I was
only 500m from home.

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 07:07:53 +1000, RS wrote:

Would anyone know where the best deals on floor pumps can be got?
Bike shops sell them for $60-$90. Kmart sells them, but I'm not sure
of their quality.

Old July 28th 03, 05:28 AM
Glen F

How well your tyres hold air depends on the kinds of valves you
have. Schraeder valves don't hold air well over 80lbs and will
require frequent topping up if you're running at 100 lbs.

Don't know abt tire valves Theo, but the Schrader valve on my
shock holds 200+psi for months without loss, so I doubt it's the
valve type that's the real problem. Valve quality, perhaps?

Old July 28th 03, 06:24 AM
Theo Bekkers

"RS" wrote
Bought a Silca pump from Fitzroy Cycles, and am very happy with it. It

even
pumped a car type to 30lbs.

Have 11 cu ft compressor at home.

:-)