Floor pump prices

Old July 28th 03, 06:24 AM
Theo Bekkers

Default Floor pump prices

"RS" wrote
Bought a Silca pump from Fitzroy Cycles, and am very happy with it. It

even
pumped a car type to 30lbs.

Have 11 cu ft compressor at home.

:-)

Theo

Old July 28th 03, 06:26 AM
Theo Bekkers

"Glen F" wrote

Don't know abt tire valves Theo, but the Schrader valve on my
shock holds 200+psi for months without loss, so I doubt it's the
valve type that's the real problem. Valve quality, perhaps?

There are always exceptions. They are.... exceptions. Let me say most
Schrader valves then.

Schraders seal with air pressure. Prestas seal by screw.

Theo

Old July 29th 03, 01:04 AM
Theo Bekkers

"Glen F" wrote

Don't know abt tire valves Theo, but the Schrader valve on my
shock holds 200+psi for months without loss, so I doubt it's the
valve type that's the real problem. Valve quality, perhaps?

Thought about this again. I don't have shocks on any of my treadlies
and am not familiar with them. The shocks on my motorcycle have
Schrader valves and take 10-15 lbs in the front, 20-25 in the back.
Why does your shock need that much pressure and how do you pump them
up. My commercial 11 cu ft V-twin compressor is good for only about
140 lbs, garage pumps would be struggling to deliver 100 at the hose
end. Few air-hoses can handle that kind of pressure and that would be
one hell of a hand-pump. I doubt there's much difference in quality in
Schrader valves. The whole valve and seat assembly screws out and can
be replaced with another for about 20 cents.

???

Theo

Old July 30th 03, 12:50 AM
Glen F

"Theo Bekkers" wrote in message
[...]

Rear shocks on MTBs typically work at high mechanical advantage, hence
they need to run high pressure - I run mine at ~220psi. Yes, a special
pump is required, one with a very narrow barrel so that it doesn't need
much force to operate. The schrader valve used appears (externally) to
be very well made. I presume it uses a special insert.