SYD: M4 cycleway Holroyd-Auburn opened?

Old July 24th 03, 08:50 PM
Duncan McRae

Default SYD: M4 cycleway Holroyd-Auburn opened?

Just spotted an article in the local fish-wrapper with the local
member and mayor getting their exposure over the opening of the
Holroyd - Auburn link of the M4 cycleway, including a bridge over duck
creek/river.

I know this has been in the pipeline for a long time, and wondered if
anyone had traversed the said route yet. I can't find much information
on the opening: RTA and various cycle websites I tried are somewhat
out of date.

I currently commute Sth-Parramatta to Homebush Bay via
Rosehill/Camellia and onto the Parra-river cycleway and the M4
alternative certainly looks good. I may miss the mums and kiddies in
4wd's in Rosehill and the dust cloud at the concrete recycling plant
in Rydalmere, but I doubt it.

I'll be trying the route out Monday morning (got to drive to work
Friday so I can pick up a pair of SPD shoes for my new cleats). Will
report back if I discover anything of interest.

By the way, the Parra-River cycleway from Silverwater Rd through to
Homebush bay (south-side of river) is getting a new link straight
through to Bennelong Road. Looks like it will be open in a couple of
weeks; don't know if their planning to extend the opening hours
(currently 7am or so through to 5:30pm)

duncan
Old July 27th 03, 11:00 AM
Peter Barlow

Default M4 cycleway Holroyd-Auburn opened?

Duncan McRae...
... wondered if
anyone had traversed the said route yet.

I currently commute Sth-Parramatta to Homebush Bay via
Rosehill/Camellia and onto the Parra-river cycleway and the M4
alternative certainly looks good.

Inspired by your post I cycled out that way today for a look.

The path is open from the Holroyd Sportsground (just west of the Woodville
Rd - Parramatta Rd junction) to Martha St (just east of James Ruse Dve). It
mostly runs under the M4 & can be accessed from any of the roads which cross
or end at the motorway.

The section from the eastern end of Martha St to Adderley St (which crosses
Duck River) is not yet open but is complete apart from some fencing. For
now you need to detour via Parramatta Rd but my guess would be that only a
week or two is needed to finish it off.

From the eastern end of Adderley St there is another path which goes under
the M4 into Newington from where it is easy to reach Homebush Bay.

Not as scenic as the Parramatta River of course but certainly a nice
alternative and worth trying.

Peter

Old July 28th 03, 01:12 AM
Duncan McRae

Peter Barlow ) wrote:

Inspired by your post I cycled out that way today for a look.

Thanks for the info Peter.

I tried out the route this morning. I joined the cycleway at Good St,
Granville.. all the way through to Silverwater Rd.

The cycleway is nicely constructed.. but some comments:

1/ As Peter noted, Duck creek bridge isn't really "open" yet. Contrary
to my local paper, which had a nice picture of some smiling
politicians and a cyclist riding over the bridge, the paths on either
side of the bridge are still construction sites.

I managed to get through there this morning without too many hassles
(entered at the corner of Martha St just before it ducks under the
M4), but the guys in the bobcat were giving me strange looks.

2/ Every 200m or so, the cycleway crosses a road.. Nothing new for
cycleways, I guess, but a pain when you're commuting: roads are faster
and potentially safer. Some of the crossings (like Good St) are very
busy at that time of the morning, and there is no center island to
hide in.

3/ I got confuddled getting across Silverwater road and into
Newington; but that's just me being an idiot.

I'll try it a few more times to get the route down pat...

duncan

Old July 29th 03, 09:20 AM
old&slow

I've got enormous admiration for any of you blokes that are prepared to
brave Sydney traffic to ride and it sure sounds like a great and
refreshing government initiative to build cycle paths on commuter
routes. You could, of course, move to Canberra and have cycling
paradise. I know it's a big world, but any chance you're the footy McRae
? My respect for the Waratahs just jumped big time if there's a rider
amongst them !