second hand??

Old August 6th 03, 03:03 AM
erikax

Default second hand??

Just wondering if anybody could point me in the best direction to find
second hand road bikes down under? I am a european student who just
arrived in Adelaide. Unfortunately my insurance wouldn't cover me
bringing my bike as I was travelling a bit on my way down here. Shipping
it down is not the best option as its expensive and I'm not staying very
long. So I need a new bike. Buying new is a limited option on my student
budget as i could only afford entry level. So I am looking for a used
road bike. Any ideas of good places to check?? Magazines with
classifieds, specific bikestores that might store second hand, cycle
clubs??? Appreciate any help as I'm getting desperate to get out on the
road again!!

Hopefull regards

Erik, Adelaide SA

Old August 6th 03, 03:57 AM
John Staines

Bicycle Express at 124 Halifax St , Adelaide Tel no.8232 7277. have a
few 2nd hand bikes, they also have a store at 1 Sturt Rd, Brighton 8296
8861 (not sure if they sell 2nd hand there though) but probably your
best bet would be the Trading Post $1.20 from newsagents (pub'd every
thursday).

Also you can get some real bargains on Australian eBay. A almost new
OCR3 (with Sora gear) just sold for about $500 from memory.

Oh! I nearly forgot! Try www.cycle2max.com as they have a small for sale
section.....but check this website out regardless as it's very
informative about climbs in Adelaide etc.

Welcome to Adelaide btw.

Cheers

John

Old August 6th 03, 04:24 AM
Deep Floyd Mars

erikax wrote in message
Just wondering if anybody could point me in the best direction to find
second hand road bikes down under? I am a european student who just
arrived in Adelaide. Unfortunately my insurance wouldn't cover me
bringing my bike as I was travelling a bit on my way down here. Shipping
it down is not the best option as its expensive and I'm not staying very
long. So I need a new bike. Buying new is a limited option on my student
budget as i could only afford entry level. So I am looking for a used
road bike. Any ideas of good places to check?? Magazines with
classifieds, specific bikestores that might store second hand, cycle
clubs??? Appreciate any help as I'm getting desperate to get out on the
road again!!

On the Torrens in front of the paliament there is a guy that hires out
mountain bikes. He sells reconditioned ones for cheap. They usually have a
few scratches on them, but are mechanically good. I bought one about 5 years
ago and it lasted me a long time.

Explain your situation to him, and he should look after you.
---
DFM

Old August 6th 03, 08:02 AM
MIke

erikax wrote:

Just wondering if anybody could point me in the best direction to find
second hand road bikes down under? I am a european student who just
arrived in Adelaide. Unfortunately my insurance wouldn't cover me
bringing my bike as I was travelling a bit on my way down here. Shipping
it down is not the best option as its expensive and I'm not staying very
long. So I need a new bike. Buying new is a limited option on my student
budget as i could only afford entry level. So I am looking for a used
road bike. Any ideas of good places to check?? Magazines with
classifieds, specific bikestores that might store second hand, cycle
clubs??? Appreciate any help as I'm getting desperate to get out on the
road again!!

Hopefull regards

Erik, Adelaide SA

Try http://www.bicyclingaustralia.com/ba The classifieds section is very
active. Bikes tend to be at the higher end of the spectrum but some
bargains come up.

Old August 6th 03, 08:02 AM
Gemma Kernich

I second John's recommendation, Keith Wong at Bicycle Express has quite a
lot of used road bikes, and he's open to haggling too.

Cheers
Gemma