saddle fore-aft adjustment

Old May 5th 08, 01:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim

Default saddle fore-aft adjustment

Hi all, I'm wondering if when you move a saddle forward it effectively
increases your leg extension? The angle of the saddle is the same, but
it feels like my legs are dropping down more...

thanks
Old May 5th 08, 02:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim beam

jim wrote:
Hi all, I'm wondering if when you move a saddle forward it effectively
increases your leg extension?

decreases it. you're shortening the hypotenuse.

Old May 5th 08, 05:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim

On May 5, 11:30*am, "Bill Sornson" wrote:
jim wrote:
Hi all, I'm wondering if when you move a saddle forward it effectively
increases your leg extension? The angle of the saddle is the same, but
it feels like my legs are dropping down more...

If anything it would /shorten/ the saddle-to-pedal distance slightly.

Perhaps you're sitting on a different, raised portion of the saddle now? *Or
somehow changed your foot position/orientation (toes down before; now heels
down)?

Very small changes shouldn't be /that/ noticeable, so sounds like something
else is going on.

Bill S.

Thanks for the replies - I moved the saddle about 2 CM forward.
Between two bicycles, I'm trying to get the position more or less the
same on both. It does seem, however, that my quads are being used a
bit more.
Old May 5th 08, 08:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Press

In article
,
jim wrote:

Hi all, I'm wondering if when you move a saddle forward it effectively
increases your leg extension?

Depends on where the saddle starts from.
I could go either way.

The angle of the saddle is the same, but
it feels like my legs are dropping down more...

Fore and aft position of the saddle should be optimized
for centering you weight over the pedals. You should
feel well balanced when on the saddle and pedaling.

Set the height to eliminate knee pain.
Too high or two low means different
knee pains. I do not remember which.

Adjust saddle tilt to eliminate sliding fore
or aft on the saddle

Adjust the stem length and bar height
to keep too much weight on your arms and hands.

With a frame suitable for you, this process
repeated will put you in an ideal position.

--
Michael Press
Old May 6th 08, 12:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Per Michael Press:
Adjust saddle tilt to eliminate sliding fore
or aft on the saddle

And then, if necessary, compromise by tilting a teeny bit forward
as needed to reduce pressure on the perineum.
--
PeteCresswell
Old May 6th 08, 05:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim beam

Michael Press wrote:
In article
,
jim wrote:

Hi all, I'm wondering if when you move a saddle forward it effectively
increases your leg extension?

Depends on where the saddle starts from.
I could go either way.

basic geometry not your strong point obviously.

Fore! [email protected] UK 13 July 13th 06 02:06 PM
Ongoing Saddle Height Adjustment and Results Michael J. Klein General 5 October 1st 04 03:34 AM
Ongoing Saddle Height Adjustment and Results Michael J. Klein Techniques 8 October 1st 04 03:34 AM
Saddle adjustment soup UK 5 August 22nd 04 09:47 PM
Possible Saddle Adjustment Needed? Tom Young Techniques 2 April 8th 04 05:41 AM