Itch

Old May 26th 04, 09:30 PM
Claire Petersky

Default Itch

You may remember a thread from last January where I posted about
getting a bad rash on the way to work. If you don't, here's the source
from Google:
http://tinyurl.com/3x2fv

Here's more on this topic, since I've had on-going problems with this,
including today:

1. I only get this rash when it is wet enough to permeate the lower
parts of my tights and socks.
2. Recent snow or not, it doesn't matter -- I got this rash today in
May, just like I did in January.
3. Not cold related -- today it was probably in the upper 50s.
4. I only get this rash when I ride the section between the Mercer
Island P/R and where the trail ends at Hiawatha. In other words, I
don't get the rash if I load the bike on Mercer Island and unload at
the Rainier/freeway stop. The irritant must either be from something
from the Mercer Island lid park, the bridge, or the Seattle park. I am
particularly sensitive to weed & feed type pesticides, so this is high
on my suspect list.
5. Mercer Island Parks and Recs denies use of these sorts of
pesticides, so either the City is mistaken, or perhaps it is from the
Seattle park, if indeed the pesticide is the source of the problem.

This only reinforces me wanting to load the bike on the bus when it's
pouring rain on the way to work. It's not just that I'm soaked
through, that I'm itchy as hell when I arrive.

Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
No sig today
Old May 26th 04, 09:35 PM
David Kerber

In article ,
says...
[...]

It's probably not the "feed" part of that (fertilizers tend not to be
very allergenic), but might be an insecticide used to control the bugs.
My wife gets hives when her skin comes into contact with many common
insecticides.

newsgroups if possible).
Old May 27th 04, 03:48 AM
Bernie

David Kerber wrote:

In article ,
says...

[...]

How bout that? Insecticides are poisons. Designed to kill living
things. Claire do you ride part way on a railway right of way? RR's
tend to poison weeds heavily, country or urban. Our overuse of
pesticides and herbicides is distressing.
Bernie