Brooks saddle, rivets, and seatpost

Old August 7th 05, 11:26 PM
(PeteCresswell)

Default Brooks saddle, rivets, and seatpost

Per chuck:
I forgot to mention that this seat sat on a bike and wasn't used for 30
years till I started using it

Fallback post ion: Some rivets and a new leather from http://www.wallbike.com -
although I can imagine that the price of those items may add up to compete with
the price of a new saddle...
--
PeteCresswell
Old August 8th 05, 03:36 AM
Michael Press

In article ,
Paul Kopit wrote:

On Sun, 07 Aug 2005 10:05:45 -0700, "(PeteCresswell)"
wrote:

For what it's worth, Brooks' spiel is that nothing that soaks into the leather
should be used. Their 'Proofide' is some sort of waxy stuff that stays on the
surface.

I'm not sure abou that. I've put Proride on the underside of the
saddle and used a hair dryer at to melt it in. After several
applications, a honey brown saddle begins to darken at the upper
surface and is softer. The saddle repels water too.

Yes, this is what I do; but rather than a hair dryer
instead put the saddle under a 100 watt light bulb
overnight with the rails facing up. The riding surface of
the saddle eventually exudes Proofide.

--
Michael Press
Old August 8th 05, 06:50 PM

On Mon, 08 Aug 2005 02:36:43 GMT, Michael Press wrote:

wrote:

For what it's worth, Brooks' spiel is that nothing that soaks into the leather
should be used. Their 'Proofide' is some sort of waxy stuff that stays on the
surface.

I'm not sure abou that. I've put Proride on the underside of the
saddle and used a hair dryer at to melt it in. After several
applications, a honey brown saddle begins to darken at the upper
surface and is softer. The saddle repels water too.

Yes, this is what I do; but rather than a hair dryer
instead put the saddle under a 100 watt light bulb
overnight with the rails facing up. The riding surface of
the saddle eventually exudes Proofide.

Amazing! The "dead chicken waving" that the faithful will
exercise to try and tame discredited 19th century technology!

Just buy a plastic saddle and ride the bike!

Old August 8th 05, 07:52 PM
C.J.Patten

FWIW, the lid of a can of Proofide list the ingredients in this order:

Tallow, Cod oil, Vegetable oil, Paraffin wax, Beeswax, Citronella oil

Old August 8th 05, 11:23 PM
Donald Gillies

I now use Kiwi "Mink Oil" or "Clear Shoe Polish" on my brooks
saddles. It's not as shiny as Brooks proofide but its sure a heck of
a lot easier to find in local stores ....

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA
Old August 9th 05, 12:47 AM
Warren Block

C.J.Patten wrote:
FWIW, the lid of a can of Proofide list the ingredients in this order:

Tallow, Cod oil, Vegetable oil, Paraffin wax, Beeswax, Citronella oil

Yes. Not only does it condition and protect leather, it can be used to
make lightly fish-scented candles, or cooked into a delicious broth.

It used to be red-tinted and smell a lot more, but the newer stuff seems
to be white and not have much smell at all.

Old August 9th 05, 01:32 AM
Mike Latondresse

"C.J.Patten" wrote in
:

FWIW, the lid of a can of Proofide list the ingredients in this
order:

Tallow, Cod oil, Vegetable oil, Paraffin wax, Beeswax, Citronella
oil

Where are the ground up bats and essence of toad.
Old August 9th 05, 11:20 AM
User

On 2005-08-07, Kevin wrote:
chuck wrote:

I did ride on the rivets a little before. The seat doesn't seem ruined. It
isn't sagging *that* much. On closer inspection it seems maybe the one
problem rivet has tilted to an angle that makes it dig into me.

I've had pretty good luck tapping the edges of the rivets bach down
flush with the leather. Lasts longer than you think it will.

Kevin

This seems to be the cure. I carfully pounded in the far right rivet and no more pain in the butt. Too bad it wrecked a pair of Borah shorts first.