What 36er should I buy?

Old December 8th 08, 12:39 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
SamGoodburn

Default What 36er should I buy?

Thankyou for the advice everyone! Especially saskatchewanian! I still
havn't decided what to get, but I still don't have the money. so I have
plenty of time to decide.

If you own a 36", which one did you buy?

--
SamGoodburn

very creative sig.
Old December 8th 08, 03:17 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
rob.northcott

I think some of those Nimbus models that Sask mentioned are US-specific,
but there are a couple of versions of the Nightrider 36ers on UDC UK. I
don't think anybody imports the new Cokers either, so if you want one of
those it would probably have to be a personal import (although I may be
wrong).

My 36er started off as a Qu-Ax copy of the original Coker. When I
bought it (it used to be DarkTom's) the hub had been swapped for a UDC
super-wide hub and a 29er tube was fitted (I've never used a proper
heavy 36er tube). I added a bmx calliper brake and rode it like that
for a couple of years before I decided to upgrade the wheel. My new
wheel is a Nimbus Stealth Pro rim on Nimbus ISIS hub (normal width) with
14g stainless spokes and Qu-Ax lightweight ISIS cranks. It's very
noticeably lighter and much nicer to ride.

I'm using a normal KH Fusion saddle, which I find pretty comfortable,
although I don't tend to do enormous rides (longest I've done in a day
is about 60 miles, but I rode the unicon marathon without a dismount).
No handle at the moment apart from the KH saddle handle (I mostly ride
cross-country, but if I can rig up an easily removable handlebar I may
give it a try for road riding).

Rob

EDIT: Actually, having just had a look on the UDC UK site, I think what
Sask called a Titan is what UDC UK just call a UDC 36" Unicycle. Looks
like they all come with aluminium rims now as well.

--
rob.northcott
Old December 20th 08, 10:28 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
SamGoodburn

I think i'll get a Qu-Ax http://tinyurl.com/6ajss

--
SamGoodburn

very creative sig.
Old December 20th 08, 11:11 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
innes

If I was going to buy a 36" unicycle and I was going to use a brake,
then a machined braking surface would be the way I would go.

I was put off a 36" by falling off due to brakes grabbing when the rim
flared. This was before machined 36" rims were available. I went for a
KH 29" and I love it.

36" Unicycles are very popular though, and if you have used one, then
you know that you will get on with it.

Enjoy it when you get it.

Innes

--
innes

36er or BC T.M.C. Unicycling 17 November 9th 08 11:54 PM
36er speed run hobo_chuck Unicycling 0 August 17th 08 01:35 AM
36er speed run MuniAddict Unicycling 12 August 16th 08 08:31 PM
KH 36er T.M.C. Unicycling 7 July 29th 08 04:28 AM
geared 36er maxcarriere Unicycling 54 March 9th 07 07:56 AM