Bicycle helmet vs Skate helmet

Old December 18th 08, 02:10 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
IsaacSteiner

Default Bicycle helmet vs Skate helmet

Trials - Bike helmet
Street - No helmet, or skate helmet, sometimes a bike helmet
Freestyle - No helmet
Distance - Bike helmet

-Isaac

--
IsaacSteiner

*my sponsors:*

*
'Bedford Unicycles' (www.bedfordunicycles.ca)

'Unicycle.tv' (www.unicycle.tv)*
Old December 18th 08, 02:41 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Tak

harper;1152271 wrote:

Dude, that post was AWESOME!!!!!

feel the light;1152386 wrote:
I am not knocking the skater helmets, in a colder place they might be
great, as well as safer.

I guess it's all a matter of preference; I prefer the skater-style
helmet, even in the heat. Although I am a few hundred miles farther
north...

--
Tak

"Unicycling goes against common sense." --maestro8
Old December 18th 08, 04:41 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
john_childs

It reads to me like that part of the Wikipedia article is talking about
toddler and young children helmets and extrapolating that info to adult
and older children helmets. Makes no sense to make that comparison.

I have both a highly vented MTB style helmet and a skate style helmet.
The skate style helmet is by Giro and is light weight, built like a
bicycle helmet, single impact, not multiple impact like true skate
helmets. I wear one style or the other depending on weather, the
terrain, how I'm going to ride, and other factors. Mostly I wear the
MTB style helmet.

I'd like to see MTB helmets that are shaped more like skate style
helmets but with more vents. Giro is going in that direction with the
Xen helmet, but that helmet is too expensive for my tastes. I'd like to
see some lower cost MTB helmets with that kind of skate helmet
influenced shape.

--
john_childs

john_childs (att) hotmail (dott) com
Team Never Wash Your Muni
'My Gallery' (http://tinyurl.com/3d57bn) :: 'Unicycling Bookmark List'
(http://backcountry.unicyclist.com/) :: 'World Clock'
(http://tinyurl.com/2blym3)
Old December 18th 08, 05:31 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
oldandmoldymat

gave me a helmut its called my skull, a one time use and all natural
material helmut. HAHA

I have used a full face helmut for muni, and prefer no helmut for
trials, i usually fall and roll or land on my feet, i have never come
close, to my head, but i would like to start wearing a skate helmut,
light and visible protects back of head and front.............makes
sense to me, i wil also look into diffferent materials,

what ever happened to those old leather ones..**** those was nice..

--
oldandmoldymat

i ride like buddah nature exsploding and imploding into the
nothingness.....and well...the everythiangness.
Old December 18th 08, 07:57 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
OneWheelLess

john_childs;1152518 wrote:

I'd like to see MTB helmets that are shaped more like skate style
helmets but with more vents. Giro is going in that direction with the
Xen helmet, but that helmet is too expensive for my tastes. I'd like to
see some lower cost MTB helmets with that kind of skate helmet
influenced shape.

I just was checking out the T.H.E. B-1 helmet. It's a pretty cool
looking helmet that seems to be a sort of blend between traditonal skate
helmets and more vented mtb designs. I'm not quite sure if it's what
you're looking for, but I think it's a move in the right direction.

--
OneWheelLess

Seriously, the other wheel just fell off one day.
Old December 18th 08, 10:53 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
john_childs

OneWheelLess;1152604 wrote:
I just was checking out the T.H.E. B-1 helmet. It's a pretty cool
looking helmet that seems to be a sort of blend between traditonal skate
helmets and more vented mtb designs. I'm not quite sure if it's what
you're looking for, but I think it's a move in the right direction.

That does look like a good helmet. I took a look at the THE Industries
web page and saw the 'F-14 helmet'
(http://www.the-industries.com/helmets_f14.html). That's what I'm
talking about. A bicycle style helmet with the coverage of a skate
helmet. Too bad the MSRP is $80. Maybe I can find it on sale.

I have a problem with expensive helmets. Helmets are disposable items
that need to be replaced after a certain amount of wear and use. If a
helmet is "expensive" I am not going to throw it away and replace it as
soon as I should. If a helmet is under $40 I'm willing to throw it out
when its time is due. If a helmet is up around $100 I will feel very
guilty about throwing it out and would end up keeping it for longer than
I should.

Old December 18th 08, 11:04 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
catinabag1

during crashes you ten to hit the side and back of your head more than
the top (top almost never). so any helmet that covers the sides and back
of your head is better. i wear a skateboard helmet over a bike helmet
for this reason except when i coker. i like the cooler bike helmet for
cokering.

--
catinabag1

Why does a chicken coup have two doors?

Because if it had four, it'd be a chicken sedan.
Old December 18th 08, 11:38 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
kington99

a bit of both, the 661 mullet skate-style dirt jump helmet (skate style)
for muni and trials, a nice bell cycle helmet for distance and x
country. Essentially, for times when I'm likely to hit my head a helmet
that will survive more than one fall and offers heavy protection, and
something lighter and more comfortable for situations where i rarely if
ever fall on my head.

--
kington99

Dave

Old December 18th 08, 11:45 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
OneWheelLess

john_childs;1152690 wrote:
That does look like a good helmet. I took a look at the THE Industries
web page and saw the 'F-14 helmet'
(http://www.the-industries.com/helmets_f14.html). That's what I'm
talking about. A bicycle style helmet with the coverage of a skate
helmet. Too bad the MSRP is $80. Maybe I can find it on sale.

I have a problem with expensive helmets. Helmets are disposable items
that need to be replaced after a certain amount of wear and use. If a
helmet is "expensive" I am not going to throw it away and replace it as
soon as I should. If a helmet is under $40 I'm willing to throw it out
when its time is due. If a helmet is up around $100 I will feel very
guilty about throwing it out and would end up keeping it for longer than
I should.

I agree, I would prefer not to spend $100 for a single-use disposable
helmet. My last skate helmet is at the point where the padding is shot,
and the shell has had several hard impacts. I plan to spend $30-40 on a
new one that will fit my needs. I really like the classic pro-tec
design, but I like extra ventilation the B-1 has, and the price tag was
a pleasant suprise. It may be a good compromise for me.

Old December 19th 08, 12:36 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
hobo_chuck

catinabag1;1152695 wrote:
i wear a skateboard helmet over a bike helmet

Really? That's either a tiny bike helmet or a huge skateboard
helmet.

--
hobo_chuck