Tire size for 180 lb rider

Old May 16th 04, 03:11 AM
Chris Neary

Default Tire size for 180 lb rider

Paul Southworth wrote:
I recently tried the Trek Bontrager Race Lite tires and found they also
cut easily and did not get many miles from them.

I just dumped my Bontrager Race X-Lites (came with my bike) for Michelin
Pro Race. The Bontrager's (700x23) had 2 flats (rear) in 225 miles, and
I noticed small splits in the rear tread after 300 mi. (Continental is
making these tires for Bontrager, and they are very similar in their
design and composition to Conti's GP3000).

My experience with the Race X-Lites is not consistant with yours. I believe
I had one flat on the rear before wearing it out after 1000 miles or so.
Good handling, relatively light, good wear and damage resistance in my book.
Downside: Traction is suspect in wet conditions.

I like them so much I'm running them on my tandem, where I place a premium
on damage resistance.

YMMV,

Chris Neary

"Science, freedom, beauty, adventu what more could
you ask of life? Bicycling combined all the elements I
loved" - Adapted from a quotation by Charles Lindbergh
Old May 16th 04, 04:16 AM
Eric S. Sande

"Yeah, man, they're CHEN SHINS and they kick ass!"

Actually they're Cheng Shins and they do kick ass, it was UV exposure
and not mileage that killed mine.

After 8000 miles they still had tread but the sidewalls were badly
cracked.

--

_______________________ALL AMIGA IN MY MIND_______________________
------------------"Buddy Holly, the Texas Elvis"------------------
Old May 16th 04, 05:39 PM
maxo

On Sat, 15 May 2004 23:16:25 -0400, Eric S. Sande wrote:

Actually they're Cheng Shins

Well EXCUSE me! LOL Shoudda looked at my sidewalls for sp. before posting

OMG, we have THREE (count'em) CHENG SHIN apologists in this thread.

I think I just felt the earth move... :P

Old May 16th 04, 11:56 PM
Chris Neary

Paul Southworth wrote:
I recently tried the Trek Bontrager Race Lite tires and found they also
cut easily and did not get many miles from them.

I just dumped my Bontrager Race X-Lites (came with my bike) for Michelin
Pro Race. The Bontrager's (700x23) had 2 flats (rear) in 225 miles, and
I noticed small splits in the rear tread after 300 mi. (Continental is
making these tires for Bontrager, and they are very similar in their
design and composition to Conti's GP3000).

Two additional points I forgot earlier:

1) My tires also developed the small slits on the tread, but they appear to
be strictly cosmetic in nature and have not caused any flats (for me).

2) Continental is no longer manufacturing Bontragers. I believe the new
manufacturer is Vittoria, but I'm not 100% sure.

Old May 17th 04, 11:25 AM
Benjamin Weiner

David Kerber wrote:

Absolutely; I want the one which will help me go the fastest. I was
assuming that a smaller tire at a higher pressure would have lower
resistance than the 25's I'm running right now, which I set up to 120
psi for races (lower for every day).

I am aware that a smaller tire at the same pressure will hurt the
rolling resistance, not help it.

I don't think a smaller tire than a 25 @120psi will bring much
improvement in RR, unless your 25s are quite heavy or have stiff
casings or lots of Kevlar belting. If you use a smaller tire
you'll need more air and I also don't think pressures above
120 psi are going to be useful anywhere but a track.

Comfort is important when trying to go fast. So is resistance
to pinch flatting.

Old May 27th 04, 11:30 PM
DRS

"Rick Onanian" wrote in message

On Sat, 15 May 2004 15:25:37 GMT, maxo wrote:
On an amusing note, the most durable tires I've ever ridden have
been Chen Shins. Now before everyone starts laughing, which is pretty
understandable, once must understand that this company is the
largest bike tire maker in the world--so their quality spans the
spectrum!

Anybody who laughs at the statement that Cheng Shin (isn't there a
'g' in there?) tires last forever has never used them. Every one
I've ridden refuses to show any wear whatsoever no matter how much
riding nor how much abusing is done.

The only reason to change them is if you want tires that ride/feel
different. They're slightly tougher than cast iron, and slightly
lighter. I've never gotten a flat through one, nor worn one visibly.

Regulars may recall me pestering people for imformation about tyres a couple
of months back. It's taken longer than I planned but I finally got rid of
my Cheng Shins! The problem was I also needed other bits and pieces as
well so every pay I'd look at my tyres and think, well, it's not like
they're actually worn or anything so they can wait. The problem with Cheng
Shins is that by that philosophy I'd still be putting off replacing them
about three years from now. After much questioning and listening and
reading and pondering I bought some Avocet Fasgrips Duro-Plus K 700x32s from
the States. They arrived Wednesday and I put them on yesterday. (As an
aside, I was very proud of myself given I haven't replaced a bike tyre for
at least 25 years. At least now I know I could do it on the road if I had
to).

Talk about chalk and cheese. I only went for a short test ride because of
the foul weather but I swore the bike felt lighter and more lively. Then I
wondered if I wasn't just mentally justifying the expense, so I put one of
the Cheng Shins on the scales. Bike tyres aren't the easiest things to
weigh if you don't have hanging scales but by my estimate my old 700x40s
that came with the bike weigh around 680-690 grams each! The Avocets
nominally weigh 410 grams each, so I've just reduced the weight of my tyres
by over half a kilogram! No wonder they feel lighter and more responsive.
Going from 75psi to 90psi thus far doesn't seem to have changed the comfort.

The only thing now I'm a tad nervous about is that I used the existing
tubes. Because of the weather I couldn't be bothered walking up to the LBS
to get replacements. They're also Cheng Shin (they seem to retain pressure
OK) but the marking said 700x35-43 so they're a bit over-sized for the
700x32s. They seemed to go in OK but I'll get some new tubes as spares.
What are the odds of a pinch flat? Am I asking for trouble?

--

A: Top-posters.

Old May 27th 04, 11:50 PM
Booker C. Bense

Old May 28th 04, 03:13 AM
maxo

On Thu, 27 May 2004 22:50:45 +0000, Booker C. Bense wrote:

_ Bike messengers commonly put in the next size up tube to
make the tires more flat proof.

I used to do that myself when messengering--it works great! The only thing
to watch out for is the tube folding or creasing upon itself--so make sure
you put a little air in it before you tuck it into the tire, then install
the second bead, put a few more pounds in the tire, and bounce it a bit to
seat everything before pumping up to full pressure.

BTW, Cheng Shin makes a whole range of tires and to be sure, some of the
"standard issue" ones can be a bit crapola--but I've found some real gems.
I've put close to 1500 miles on the Nashbar Prima Plus Kevlars I bought a
few months ago, and they're holding up great! One pinch flat--not the
tires' fault since I didn't check the pressure before one ride. The ride
is quite excellent and supple and you can't beat $10 for a utility tire!
When I have 20 bucks or so per wheel to blow, I'll of course look for some
Vredsteins or similar on sale, but at the lower price point, gimme Cheng
Shins!

Old May 28th 04, 08:25 AM
Peter Signorini

"DRS" wrote in message

At least now I know I could do it on the road if I had to).

Isn't that illegal?

:-)

Cheers
Peter

Tire damage Roger Zoul General 0 May 4th 04 10:27 PM
Tire size for least rolling resistance? Chris Hansen General 6 April 10th 04 02:03 AM
Q. Will I benefit from different tire size or type? Joe Samangitak General 15 August 8th 03 03:38 AM
correct tire size? Warren Ginn General 4 July 31st 03 10:26 AM