Better workout on spin bike or road bike?

Old May 26th 04, 12:27 AM
S o r n i

Default Better workout on spin bike or road bike?

Chalo wrote:

Not only can a real bike take you places you might wish to go, but it
rewards your effort with progress and sensory feedback. It also
exercises your equilibrium and your kinesthetic awareness, and it
connects you to your milieu.

Yeah, but a small adjustment usually fixes that last thing rather quickly.

Bill "Spandex side-effect" S.

Old May 26th 04, 12:43 AM
John H. Power

On Tue, 25 May 2004 19:07:02 -0400, Badger_South
wrote:

On Tue, 25 May 2004 18:06:01 -0400, John H. Power
wrote:

Well duh, thanks for nothing my friend. I wasn't really interested in
your opinion in that regard nor am I interested in my "milieu". If I
want to connect to that I'll do yoga. My question related to whether
or not I would get the same exercise benefit using both mediums. Your
response did not address that question.

And I have 3 real bikes, not just 1.

But thanks to all the others who responded in a relevant fashion

John H. Power

Hi John...I think you can do a -lot- of support work via your stationary
bike as long as it's not too cheap ride well, (doesn't twist and buck and
is stable) has a good seat and the pedals have good positioning and toe
straps, and can be adjusted right. It doesn't have to exactly mimic your
real bike, but the closer the better.

I go on and on about fit on the sta bike, b/c it's easy to get one that's
crappy even though it might be expensive.

The Schwinn sounds like a good sta bike - got a link? Picture.

I use my sta bike for several reasons -

1. if there's a weather problem like deep snow, or flooding - otherwise,
even if it's raining like crazy as long as it's not thundering, I'm riding.
2. I can do high pressure workouts, with higher resistance sprints and
-really- keep that energy up for longer than my street bike, b/c I can
concentrate and go until I'm just about to fall off the sta bike from agony
and don't have to worry about bumps, cars, dogs, trash -

So I can shut my eyes and 'make it bleed', plus I'll crank some tunes over
the speakers to keep the motivation up. Then when I go to my regular bike,
I feel the strength in my legs improving.

Best thing though is not to do the sta bike routinely. I'll do it for two
weeks every _other_ day on top of my regular riding. Then I'll lay off for
a while. The sta. bike is to regular biking like running the stadium steps
is to jogging the roads for 10 miles. You don't do the stadium steps all
the time.

Of course you can do 'repeat hills' on the road bike (similar intensity
theory, but better than the sta bike) and it's similar but it's sometimes
hard to find a hill that's easy to do repeats on that isn't full of
traffic.

So think of the sta bike as a specific training tool in your tool box and
don't just do 'em (unless you really enjoy it like spin class with a bunch
of people) to do 'em...you're better off putting in quality road miles over
the long run. IOW they're not a substitute for the road.

(Obvious rollers are different b/c you are actually using your own bike)

HTH, and sorry for the long babbling. g

-B

Makes sense to me. Thanks for the input
Old May 26th 04, 12:53 AM
Claire Petersky

"Chalo" wrote in message
om...
John H. Power wrote:

I have a Schwinn Spin Bike and several regular bikes. My typical
routine is to do 20 minutes on the stationary bike 4-5 days a week.

Riding a stationary cycle is like eating nutrient paste out of a tube.

I use a different analogy:
http://tinyurl.com/yqcry

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
Home of the meditative cyclist:

Old May 26th 04, 03:32 AM
Chalo

David Reuteler wrote:

Chalo wrote:
If you have a real bike, I wonder why you'd ever use a stationary one.

hmmmm, january in minnesota? i love you west coasters.

Alaska is on the West Coast, right?
http://users.rcn.com/icebike/

Chalo Colina
Old May 26th 04, 06:27 AM
David Reuteler

Chalo wrote:
David Reuteler wrote:
Chalo wrote:
If you have a real bike, I wonder why you'd ever use a stationary one.

hmmmm, january in minnesota? i love you west coasters.

Alaska is on the West Coast, right?

not in the vernacular, no.

http://www.wordiq.com/dictionary/West%20Coast.html
http://www.roadtripusa.com/coastal_west_coast/

http://users.rcn.com/icebike/

hey, you do know about ice! great site, btw.
--
david reuteler

Old May 26th 04, 08:18 AM
n crowley

John H. Power wrote in message . ..

Of course after I ride the regular bike I am not sweating nearly as
much as after the spin bike but I think that may have to do with the
air that is blowing over me and evaporating the sweat...

Two fans can solve the indoor excessive sweating problem, one large fan
placed in front (6 to 10 feet) and a smaller one on the floor close to the
pedals.
Old May 26th 04, 12:50 PM
Denver C. Fox

Two fans can solve the indoor excessive sweating problem, one large fan
placed in front (6 to 10 feet) and a smaller one on the floor close to the

I have two fans who watch me - my wife and son. They don't help a bit with the
sweat, no matter where they stand.

(Sorry, couldn't resist on this go-nowhere thread).

http://members.aol.com/foxcondorsrvtns
(Colorado rental condo)

http://members.aol.com/dnvrfox
(Family Web Page)

Old May 26th 04, 05:02 PM
Roger Zoul

John H. Power wrote:
:: I have a Schwinn Spin Bike and several regular bikes. My typical
:: routine is to do 20 minutes on the stationary bike 4-5 days a week.
:: I increase the resistance at intervals and by the time I am done I am
:: sweating profusely. I was wondering if anyone has any dependable
:: info on the caloric burn differences between a spin bike and a
:: regular bike. If I rode the regular bike for 35-40 minutes would I
:: get as good a work out as doing the spin bike for 20 minutes? This
:: is FL so there are no hills but I would be going over several long
:: high bridges.
::
:: Of course after I ride the regular bike I am not sweating nearly as
:: much as after the spin bike but I think that may have to do with the
:: air that is blowing over me and evaporating the sweat...
::
:: I am 53 and in very good shape, if that makes a difference

Don't use the amount you sweat as an indication of calorie burn or work
effort.

How old were you when you got your first really nice bike? Brink General 43 November 13th 03 11:49 AM
my new bike Marian Rosenberg General 5 October 19th 03 03:00 PM
Considering a Road bike for commuting... good idea? Mike Beauchamp General 116 August 18th 03 11:44 PM
Looking for a cheap road bike Mike Jacoubowsky General 8 August 7th 03 12:12 AM