Cruiser Bikes For 10 Miles A Day or More?

Old May 31st 04, 03:12 AM
Sherry Katz

Default Cruiser Bikes For 10 Miles A Day or More?

The year that I did the Davis Double there was a guy who did it on a
cruiser - that's a 200 mile ride in fairly hilly territory. He was an
incredibly strong rider.

I would say that for a ride of 10-20 miles there is no reason on earth it
couldn't easily be done on a cruiser as that distance is not very
challenging. However, if you want to ride 10-30 or so miles in extreme
comfort and don't care about speed, any of the so-called "comfort" bikes in
the $300 or so range would do just fine. I have several bikes, including a
couple of fairly high end road bikes, but I love to ride around the city on
one of those Giants with the front suspension and a cushy seat and upright
handlebars. It's actually easier to ride and more comfortable than a
cruiser and a lot lighter. I regularly take it on rides of 15-20 miles and
find it a lot of fun. It's easier to deal with in the city than a regular
road bike because sitting up you can see in the traffic, and the tires don't
get flats so easily. It's sort of a city version of a mountain bike.

I don't think a cruiser would be that much fun after a few rides unless you
were going no more than 5-10 miles, mostly because the seating position
isn't really that comfortable or maneuverable.

"dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers" wrote in
message ...
Speaking from the European side of the pond....

what's a "cruiser bike"?

Cheers, helen s

**$om $

--Due to financial crisis the light at the end of the tunnel is switched

off--

Old May 31st 04, 04:44 AM
Bernie

Cruisers are "retro" fat tire bikes like the old Schwinns, etc. "Large"
look to them, often with single speed, rear coaster brake, huge
handlebars...

http://www.roadbikereview.com/2004,C...,DellaCruz/PRD

_290872_5669crx.aspx

Bernie

Thanks Bernie. Now I've seen one, I know it's not something I have a need to
rush out & buy :-)

Cheers, helen s

Same here Helen.
I don't understand the attraction - but there it is. It is a hot fad
here. "Each to his/her own taste". Rode into Vancouver's West End this
afternoon, on my touring bike let me add ; along False Creek I
encountered a group of cyclists, maybe 60 or 70 riders, mainly on
cruisers. High wide bars, fattie tires, big fenders, old fashioned
looking lights, many colours, *lots* of radios!
Classic mup and sidewalk riders, all having a good time. I agree with
whoever said "it's all about the smiles".
Best, Bernie