Noob: 'Bents and Lumbar Problems

Old April 16th 04, 04:45 AM
xkred27

Default Noob: 'Bents and Lumbar Problems

Hello.

Due to physical problems brought on and/or aggravated by the recent purchase
of my first DF road bike, I'm thinking of a 'bent. Now I know that a
recumbent will absolutely fix the first problem (genital numbness), but I've
heard that lumbar spine problems may improve or may even worsen riding a
bent. For me, whose lumbar symptoms are aggravated specifically by driving
and, say, reclining in the old Barca-Lounger, I can't help but notice that
the general seating position on a 'bent suspiciously resembles the other
grief-giving positions. So I'm concerned.

My sense is this regarding DF's vs. 'bents:

a) Upper back, neck, hand, and genital problems will be most relieved on a
'bent.
b) Lumbar spine and knee problems could go either way

Does this sound about right, or does it all depend too much on the
individual (rider and bike) to make meaningful generalizations?

Don't won't to fork out big bucks only to discover that I've swapped one set
of ills for another.

Thanks.
--
Peter

Anti-spam =
a) Remove NS_
b) Replace 3 zeroes with alpha O's

Old April 16th 04, 11:31 AM
TimH

Default 'Bents and Lumbar Problems

With the huge variety of seats out there in the bent world, I would think
you should be able to find a bent that would give you some lumbar relief.

news

Old April 16th 04, 07:08 PM
mike s

"TimH" wrote in message ...
With the huge variety of seats out there in the bent world, I would think
you should be able to find a bent that would give you some lumbar relief.

"xkred27" wrote in message
news
I've
heard that lumbar spine problems may improve or may even worsen riding a
bent. For me, whose lumbar symptoms are aggravated specifically by

driving
and, say, reclining in the old Barca-Lounger, I can't help but notice that
the general seating position on a 'bent suspiciously resembles the other
grief-giving positions. So I'm concerned.

My sense is this regarding DF's vs. 'bents:

a) Upper back, neck, hand, and genital problems will be most relieved on a
'bent.
b) Lumbar spine and knee problems could go either way

Does this sound about right, or does it all depend too much on the
individual (rider and bike) to make meaningful generalizations?

Peter: I have a herniated disc at L5-S1. Six years ago I went bent.
I have ridden most of the bents out there. What I have found (for me)
is as follows:

1. Seats with hard seat pans (hardshell seats or mesh seats but with a
hard pan), regardless of the cushion, provide me with excellent
support and no back problems at all.

2. Seats with mesh bottoms supported by stretch cords (which absorb a
lot of road shock) where there is a significant amount of give create
problems for my lower back after a few rides.

3. Seats with mesh bottoms which are rigidly held in place (whether
with zip ties or other devices that have very little give) are
acceptable but overtime create limited problems. This is true whether
a cushion is on the seat or not.

My two cents worth of analysis is that numbers 2 and 3 have too much
give so that there is not a solid platform that supports my low back
and "butt" thus causing my lower back to move and twist. No
scientific proof, just my conclusion. But regardless of the reason I
would suggest you thoroughly test the seat of the recumbent you are
planning to get. And, of course, from recent postings, make sure that
whatever the seat is it is designed and manufactured appropriately
from a responsive company so that if there are problems with it you
can seek to resolve the matter expeditiously.

Mike S.
St. Louis, Mo.
Old April 16th 04, 11:31 PM
xkred27

Mike,

Your detailed reply much appreciated.

Old April 17th 04, 01:52 AM
Tom Sherman

xkred27 wrote:

Hello.

Due to physical problems brought on and/or aggravated by the recent purchase
of my first DF road bike, I'm thinking of a 'bent. Now I know that a
recumbent will absolutely fix the first problem (genital numbness), but I've
heard that lumbar spine problems may improve or may even worsen riding a
bent. For me, whose lumbar symptoms are aggravated specifically by driving
and, say, reclining in the old Barca-Lounger, I can't help but notice that
the general seating position on a 'bent suspiciously resembles the other
grief-giving positions. So I'm concerned....

One thing you must do when riding a recumbent is to break yourself of
the habit of pulling on the handlebars. This will not only makes the
bike handle poorly [1], but also it will put stress on the back that can
aggravate existing problems.

[1] Reynolds Weld Lab USS is an exception to this in my experience.

--
Tom Sherman – Quad Cities (Illinois Side)

Old April 17th 04, 02:53 AM
John

"xkred27" wrote in message ...
Mike,

Your detailed reply much appreciated.

I have had a discectomy and laminectomy on l4-l5 about ten years ago.
I do five minutes of exercises once or twice a day religiously. I
switched to a bent about 19 months ago. I test rode about ten bents
and they all seemed much more comfortable than my upright. I found
that seats with a more verticle back are uncomfortable from the get
go. I gravitated to those bikes that had a slight recline and
curvature to their seat backs. This allows some lumbar support and
distributes impact shock over your lower back and butt.

I ride a Tour Easy with a coolback seat. I reclined the seatback a
small amount (and had to trim the seat back stays a little to get it
to work). Even so, I did still find that my spine would get
compressed after long rides or after several days of short rides. A
collegue at work suggested doing shoulder stands to de-compress my
spine. It was amazing how quickly this solved my problem. I now find
that if my back feels at all out of whack , a take a ride on my Tour
Easy actually helps it get back to normal.

So I recommend you go to one of the big recumbent bike dealers and go
for as many test rides as you can. Tweak the seat backs (if you can)
to find the sweet spot for your back.

Good luck.
Old April 17th 04, 01:07 PM
DeVon

Tom Sherman wrote in message ...
xkred27 wrote:

[...]

I would second Tom's advice (but still totally reject his use of
footnotes .

I have some degenerative disk issues myself (both lumbar and
thoracic). I found with the Vision USS (which I LOVE the "feel" of), I
had a tendency when accelerating or climbing to pull up on the bars.
This was exacerbating the thoracic problem. I have swapped bars for
the more traditional type of USS and I find the tendency to pull on
the bars has greatly decreased.

As a side note the Vision seat (alas, an "orphan"), while appearing to
be totally lacking in lumbar curve, is actually very lumbar friendly
and very adjustable via the fabric straps. Rigid-backed seats with
built-in lumbar curves are likely superior PROVIDED the lumbar support
fits YOUR back. I would strongly suggest either A) a test ride of 3
or 4 hrs .. preferably several days in succession, or B) a commitment
from the seller to swap out the original seat for a different size
seat, in case you find the seat is not what you need.
Old April 17th 04, 05:30 PM
Steve Fox

xkred27,

First thing, I'd find out from a doctor specifically what kind of
"lumbar" problem you have. There are many. You may need surgery; you
may need only therapy. Get a reliable diagnosis from more than one
doctor. Then decide on which bike is right for you.

In my case, I had one of the worse: spondylolisthesis, which in short is
a congenital condition where a vertebra (5th lumbar, in my case) is
displaced forward. I had surgery three years ago, which required my
being in a body cast for six months (24/7) and an additional year of
non-activity. One year later I rode my TE across the U.S. without so
much as a twinge.

Get professional advice/help before you make your decision. :-)

Steve

xkred27 wrote:

[...]

McKinleyville, CA
Old April 17th 04, 09:42 PM
geary

I just bought a Cycle Genius and really like the bike However that
being said my back is bothering me after no problems for the last six
years. I have problems with disc L3,L4,L5,S1.

THe first bit of a Problem I took a hot bath follow up with an ice
pack then I toom my mountain bike and went for a twenty mile bide. The
first 10 were hell then I was fine. Two week later after riding the
recumbent it happened again only the winds were to bad to ride end so
I have been suffering for over a week now.

Not sue why except that when you hit bumps on the cycle genius you
feel it all up the back. It there a cure for this without me selling
the bike, bot sure!

With the mountain bikes you have seat problems after real long rides
with the recumbent you May have back problems!

If you figure it out let me no.
thanks
geary
Old April 18th 04, 05:03 AM
Cornelius Roberts

I have swapped bars for
the more traditional type of USS and I find the tendency to pull on
the bars has greatly decreased.

What kind of bars did you switch to? Or did you just turn the stock bars
around? I tried turning my stock bar around only to find the reach was too
far out for my liking and it also struck the seat when trying to make a
turn if I went very sharp at all.