Ultegra GS rear w/ 50-34 compact front 9sp ?

Old August 23rd 05, 02:25 PM
Doug Taylor

Default Ultegra GS rear w/ 50-34 compact front 9sp ?

Paul Kopit wrote:

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 18:16:48 -0400, Doug Taylor
wrote:

I had more of a problem getting the standard front derailleur designed
to shift from a 39 to a 53 to move the chain easily from 34 to 50.
Ultegra shifters and derailleur work much less efficiently than Dura
Ace for compact rings, IME.

IRD makes a compact specific front der. designed for the 16 tooth
jump:

I happen to be using a DA x 8sp front derailleur with my 50/34 and
Ergo shifters and it shifts fine.

Interestingly, this is what I'm running currently as well. I swiped
the 8 speed DA front der. off my old circa 1990's bike, on which I
replaced the 9 speed Ultegra I was unhappy with for shifting between
the compact rings.

I note also that a DA shifter is another important part in the mix.
Having experimented with Ultegra shifter/Ultegra der.; DA
shifter/Ultegra der.; and DA shifter/DA der., IME the DA shifter/front
der. combo distinctly outperforms the other combos with the compact
set up. The Ultegra worked, but it was comparatively sluggish and
imprecise. DA is DA. There is a reason it costs more.

PS: I have no experience with Campy and compact.

--dt