Need help with Trek hybrid

Old August 23rd 05, 03:46 PM
Dave T

Default Need help with Trek hybrid

I picked up a Trek 720 hybrid bike for cheap at a garage sale. I'm
guessing it's around ten years old. It has Shimano 200EX components
with triple Biopace chainrings. It didn't have any wheels, so I picked
up some 700c wheels at another garage sale. The rear wheel has a
Shimano 600 freehub (non-compact). It fits fine on the bike with a
130mm spacing. My question is: what kind of cassette should I get that
will be compatible with the 600 hub, the 200EX derailer, and the triple
chainring? I don't know how many gears it had originally. Thanks.

--
Dave T.
Remove "slu" to reply
Old August 23rd 05, 04:06 PM
Sheldon Brown

Dave T wrote:

I picked up a Trek 720 hybrid bike for cheap at a garage sale. I'm
guessing it's around ten years old. It has Shimano 200EX components
with triple Biopace chainrings. It didn't have any wheels, so I picked
up some 700c wheels at another garage sale. The rear wheel has a
Shimano 600 freehub (non-compact). It fits fine on the bike with a
130mm spacing. My question is: what kind of cassette should I get that
will be compatible with the 600 hub, the 200EX derailer, and the triple
chainring? I don't know how many gears it had originally. Thanks.

The derailer doesn't matter, but the 200EX _shifter_ would have been a 7
speed, so you need a 7-speed cassette. Any recent Shimano 7-speed
cassette that doesn't top out with an 11 tooth sprocket should work fine.

See: http://harriscyclery.com/7

The 600 Freehub is most likely also a 7-speed unit. If it turns out to
be an 8-speed, you would also need a 4.5 mm spacer to fill in the gap
behind the 7-speed cassette...or, you could replace the shifter with an
8- or 9-speed unit and use an 8- or 9- speed cassette.

Sheldon "Good Find!" Brown
| If you don't want your message to get to me, |
| insert **NO-SPAM** into my email address. |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Old August 23rd 05, 04:27 PM
Dave T

Sheldon Brown wrote:
Dave T wrote:

[...]

Thanks. I forgot to mention that I already ditched the shifters. So I
think I will take the wheel to my LBS and figure out what the largest
cassette will fit on it and buy shifters based on that.

--
Dave T.
Remove "slu" to reply

Trek road geometry to hybrid? Tripster Techniques 2 August 17th 05 03:07 PM
DANGER: Trek multitrack 7300 (hybrid) aluminum bracket sheers off, rips apart entire rear end of bike Dan Techniques 89 April 14th 05 04:49 AM
DANGER: Trek multitrack 7300 (hybrid) aluminum bracket sheers off, rips apart entire rear end of bike Dan Racing 36 April 12th 05 03:10 AM
Trek 7210 hybrid? tony R UK 2 May 29th 04 11:27 AM
No fitting for a Trek Hybrid? Badger_South General 14 April 25th 04 04:41 AM