Help please Carrier

Old July 19th 03, 10:18 AM
RobD

Default Help please Carrier

Hi there ,
Hope someone can help,
I am looking for a child/ carrier Seat to fit on my ride
( 1960s Moulton Deluxe) the thing is i dont want some sort of plastic
fantastic high back affair,
im looking for an old fashioned metal short back and fold flat version.
that way i can make the fold it flat for a good sprint on my own but still
ferry my 5 year old around.
Ive had a good look on the web but to no avail.

Any help would be GREATLY apreciated.

Rob Draycott

Old July 19th 03, 06:05 PM
Paul Southworth

In article ,
RobD wrote:
Hi there ,
Hope someone can help,
I am looking for a child/ carrier Seat to fit on my ride
( 1960s Moulton Deluxe) the thing is i dont want some sort of plastic
fantastic high back affair,
im looking for an old fashioned metal short back and fold flat version.
that way i can make the fold it flat for a good sprint on my own but still
ferry my 5 year old around.
Ive had a good look on the web but to no avail.

I think you will find those seats all went the way of the dinosaur
for safety reasons.

--Paul
Old July 19th 03, 06:18 PM
Gazoo

even the news ones worry me..how safe can it be too put your childs head 4
up feet in the air on a bicycle?

Old July 20th 03, 05:30 AM
one of the six billion

"Gazoo" wrote in message
. ca...
even the news ones worry me..how safe can it be too put your childs head

4
up feet in the air on a bicycle?

--

Quite a bit safer than 4 feet off the ground traveling 60 mph in a car.

Old July 20th 03, 07:42 AM
Bernie

Kevan Smith wrote:

On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 02:44:27 -0700, "RobD" from ntlworld News
Service wrote:

This all seems a little off question, and vague as to the point or comment
you are trying to make!

Are you anti the use of bicycles in regard to an alternative means of
practical transport?

No. In fact, I am pro the-use-of-bicylcles-as-sole-means-of-transport.

As for saftey my sons head is probaby as safe as mine at 6 feet of the
floor.

Not if he's an infant. Child's skulls take a few years to "knit" together.

We do wear cycle helmets, and im keen to set a good example by wearing mine
on any bicycle ride no matter how short.

Well, la ti da, Reverend. I hope your foam hat is at least stylish, because it's
not worth the money you pay for it in terms of protection.

--
http://home.sport.rr.com/cuthulu/ human rights = peace
As President I have to go vacuum my coin collection!

Kevan
You may make any comments about my cycling abilities that you wish, BUT
twice I have my crashed my 700c hybrid. Both times it was because my front tire
did not overcome a very shallow curb. Last time was very recent, won't go into
details, but it resulted in myself going to ground at about 20 mph/ 30 kph. I was
wearing a fairly tough (in appearance) BMX rider style helmet, tight fitting, simple
construction, outer shell is a layer or two of fibreglas, firmly bonded to the inner
core. Chinstrap fits so tight I can't snack on oatmeal bars while rifing. Not like
most that I find in major shops with a loose plastic outer shell, not bonded to the
foam, and very crisp and light foam inner. (Won't slag any brands)
The one I have is from Norco and I believe they are/did phase out. Bought it at MEC
for $13 CAD. It don't look good any more due to scrapes, but I am keeping it. I
do not believe the integrety of the helmet has suffered, and I like it. My face
would be a mess right now if I was not wearing it. Won't tell you it "saved my
life" ok?
Just my 2 cents worth about the value of a helmet.
Do what YOU like! Canada is allegedly a free country.
Bernie

Old July 20th 03, 10:44 AM
RobD

"Kevan Smith" /\/\ wrote in message
On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 17:18:46 GMT, "Gazoo" from Shaw
Residential Internet wrote:

even the news ones worry me..how safe can it be too put your childs head

4
up feet in the air on a bicycle?

Oh, slap a foam hat on it and call it good.

Old July 21st 03, 07:11 AM
Bernie

RobD wrote:

"Bernie" wrote in message

Kevan Smith wrote:

Well, la ti da, Reverend. I hope your foam hat is at least stylish,

because it's
not worth the money you pay for it in terms of protection.

--

Thanks for your support Bernie, Im new to this list, , is KEVAN a TROLL in
this group?????

RobD

Well it would appear that Kevan puts no value in helmets. I 've got to
disagree. I recognize the bitternesspeople feel when they are leglislated into
doing something like cycling with a helmet, driving with a seatbelt, etc.

I understand how he feels, if that’s what is driving him. I don’t like
politicians to decide what I should do/not do. Regarding helmets, I’ve made up
my mind that they protect me and are worth wearing, and I will keep on wearing
mine. I’ve used my own judgement about which helmet I will wear, and I wear
it. Right or wrong, that’s just how it is.

My opinion?
1) There will always be people who will disagree with your ideas and opinions.
2) You and yours should wear head protection that fits as well as possible so
it stays on when or IF you crash. Tearaway sun visors are nice too.

Enjoy the ride,
Bernie

Old July 22nd 03, 07:29 AM
Bernie

Kevan Smith wrote:

On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 23:11:30 -0700, Bernie from Posted via
Supernews, http://www.supernews.com wrote:

Well it would appear that Kevan puts no value in helmets.

Oh, no. I have to wear a helmet to go on club rides -- club rule that I don't
mind. Plus, they are great fashion statements. So, they do have some value.

--

To each his own. You must have a beauty if it is a great fashion statement.
Bernie

Old July 22nd 03, 02:24 PM
Paul Hamilton

I now have nearly 5 years of experience with all sorts of child
transport devices. One thing I have learned is that the rear mounted
carriers are really unpleasant to ride with -- stability and handling
of the bike are compromised -- and that is when the child is not
leaning or wiggling.

In contrast, a trailer has no effect upon bike handling. Except on a
hill, there is no ondication that it is there -- the bike feels
absolutely normal. Also, if you are travelling with a child you are
usually also carrying the stuff that goes with the child. This
includes bib, eating utensiles, and colorung books/crayons
(restaurant), books, lunchbox (school), or umbrella, chairs, blankets,
sunlotion (beach). The trailer is very good for this.

Paul