Bottle holder

Old May 26th 19, 04:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joy Beeson

Default Bottle holder

On Sat, 25 May 2019 12:43:42 +0700, John B.
wrote:

We don't seem to have all that pre-cooked stuff here and my wife of 50
years still cooks my meals :-) In fact during the periods when we have
had a servant the most the servant was allowed to do in the kitchen
was wash the dishes :-)

She's almost certainly better at it than I am. I never was a very
good cook.

But today I brought home a package of "breakfast brats" from the
courthouse farmers' market and made a mess of sausage with peppers and
onions for supper -- and I'm definitely going to use the same
technique on another of the sausages.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net

Old May 26th 19, 04:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Sat, 25 May 2019 00:39:19 -0400, Joy Beeson
wrote:

And my kitchen-knife sharpening technique *still* doesn't work on
pocket knives.

About 3 years ago, in a fit of temporary insanity, I decided that I
needed yet another hobby. I chose knife sharpening with plans to
later get into knife making. The reason you're having problems is
that the bevel angle and grind type (flat grind, hollow grind, convex
grind, compound, etc)
http://blog.batteryjunction.com/wp-content/uploads/knife-grinds-selection.jpg
varies with the type of knife. There are also a wide variety of
kitchen knife sharpening devices that are very good at destroying a
knife edge. No single sharpening contrivance will work for all these
types of edges.

There are also a wide variety of complex and exotic methods of
sharpening found on the internet and in YouTube videos that are
probably suitable if you want to perform surgery with the knife, but
are much too complexicated for ordinary kitchen knives. I had to
learn all this the hard way, after wasting money on a Harbor Freight
1x30" belt sander, bevel jig, multiple belts, various whetstones,
surface block, sandpaper selection, leather strop, etc. I already had
an inspection microscope, but it too proved useless. After 2 years of
destroying everything that I touched, I eventually achieved
enlightenment and settled on using sandpaper for the rough cutting,
water whetstones for polishing the edge, and an old leather belt for
breaking off the inevitable burr.

I'm not knowledgeable enough to offer classes in knife sharpening, but
I can offer one item of acquired wisdom. It's much easier to sharpen
a knife on whatever device was originally used to produce the
necessary beveled edge, than it is to change the bevel angle or type
of grind. If you can get it sharp the first time, it's quite easy to
keep it sharp. The means you'll need to sharpen every knife you own
at least once as if you are creating new beveled edge. Plan on
practicing with junk knives. I raided the local thrift shops and flea
markets where I bought a rather motley collection of $1/ea used knives
upon which to practice.

Good luck.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old May 26th 19, 04:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Fri, 24 May 2019 10:46:42 +0700, John B. Slocomb
wrote:

On Thu, 23 May 2019 18:14:40 -0500, AMuzi wrote:
Geez. Who can't sharpen a drill bit??

Apparently someone that posts here as I remember the implication and
sharp drills were only found in machine shops :-)

That would be me. Please don't rub it in. I've had plenty of
instruction and practice, but drill sharpening is one skill that I
haven't managed to learn. I gave up long ago. I currently prefer to
drag a box of dull drills to my various machinist friends for
sharpening (usually in trade for fixing their machines, CAD systems,
computahs, etc).

Old May 26th 19, 05:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Fri, 24 May 2019 15:22:12 +0700, John B.
wrote:

Different strokes for different folks, I guess. But sharpening drills
is just two passes across the grinding wheel and a chain saw has a
multitude of teeth :-)

Sharpening chain saw cutters is much easier than sharpening a drill
bit. I have enough chain saws and spare chains that knowing how to
sharpen the chains is an economic requirement.
http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jeffl/pics/chainsaw/chain-saws-02.jpg
(I no longer own the 3 Homelite EZ saws in the first two rows).
Sharpening chains is mostly a matter of knowing how to use a file
guide, doing symmetrical cuts from both sides of the bar, and
occasionally using the depth gauge to check raker height. I have a
fancy guide:
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200308557_200308557
but prefer a simple file guide:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Oregon-3-16-in-File-Guide-with-File-25896/307730637
I find chain saw sharpening much easier than drill bit sharpening.

Old May 26th 19, 05:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Sun, 26 May 2019 10:15:36 +0700, John B.
wrote:

On Sat, 25 May 2019 19:53:29 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

On Fri, 24 May 2019 06:04:49 +0700, John B. Slocomb
wrote:

Please note, "RECTANGULAR NOTCHES" not drilled holes.
Unless, of course, you anticipate cutting rectangular holes to install
the cylindrical revnuts.

Square Hole Drill-bit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALiqAXiTQBg

Drilling Square Holes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjckF0-VeGI

Interesting. Years ago I used a somewhat similar device for drilling
square holes in wood. A very limber triangular bit inside a square
guide the limited the size of the hole and sheered the hole to an
exact size. Probably wouldn't have worked in metal.

That would be a mortising square hole bit. Very common in woodworking
but unsuitable for metal work. It doesn't work the same way as the
square cutting metal drills in the two videos. See:
https://www.google.com/search?q=mortiser+square+drill+bit&tbm=isch
An auger bit pulls a square hollow chisel down into the wood to make
the square hole.

Old May 26th 19, 06:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

wrote:

Please note, "RECTANGULAR NOTCHES" not drilled holes.
Unless, of course, you anticipate cutting rectangular holes to install
the cylindrical revnuts.

Square Hole Drill-bit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALiqAXiTQBg

Drilling Square Holes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjckF0-VeGI

Interesting. Years ago I used a somewhat similar device for drilling
square holes in wood. A very limber triangular bit inside a square
guide the limited the size of the hole and sheered the hole to an
exact size. Probably wouldn't have worked in metal.
--
cheers,

John B.

IIRC, at one time Quakers building wooden boats/ships used square pegs in round holes because that'd lock the peg more securely.

Cheers

I don't think that was solely a Quaker practice as I've heard of the
practice . I believe that in the clipper ship era tree nails
(trunnels) that were not rounded were sometimes used.
..
--
cheers,

John B.

Old May 26th 19, 06:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

wrote:

We don't seem to have all that pre-cooked stuff here and my wife of 50
years still cooks my meals :-) In fact during the periods when we have
had a servant the most the servant was allowed to do in the kitchen
was wash the dishes :-)

She's almost certainly better at it than I am. I never was a very
good cook.

I'll tell you a secret... most men can't tell good cooking from bad.
If it tastes the same as what his mother made it's good, no matter
that his mother might have been the worst cook in the county.

And after 30 or forty years he'll be so used to almost anything that
he won't complain :-)

But today I brought home a package of "breakfast brats" from the
courthouse farmers' market and made a mess of sausage with peppers and
onions for supper -- and I'm definitely going to use the same
technique on another of the sausages.

Years ago my wife fixed me a bunch of sausages. Unfortunately one had
a piece of bone, or something hard, in it and when I bit down on it a
tooth broke. I haven't eaten a sausage since :-(
--
cheers,

John B.

Old May 26th 19, 07:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

wrote:

[...]

My father's older brother was crippled - had polio when he was a
senior in high school. Being a typical New England family he expected
to work and because he couldn't get around he started filing saws -
this was back in the days when carpenters used hand saws - and I
remember him filing one tooth at a time until he worked all the way
down the saw blade and then flipping the saw in the vise and starting
back. I asked him once about some sort of grinding machine and he said
that yes, he had tried that but hand filing was better.

I don't expect that you can get that sort of hand work in the U.S. any
more... nor over here either.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old May 26th 19, 07:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 5/25/2019 7:36 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Sat, 25 May 2019 20:38:11 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

Maybe if we get the "safety" nannies to focus on hose clamps, they'll
leave bicycles alone!

Well, we could add a safety wire to the hose clamp:
"Safety Wire Those Worm Drive Clamps"
https://avidflyer.fandom.com/wiki/Safety_Wire_Those_Worm_Drive_Clamps
Maybe start with a wave of horror stories about cyclists injured by
running over water bottles that had fallen off insecure bottle cages
attached with unsafe non-wired hose clamps. I'll volunteer my two
hose clamp injuries to start the campaign for safer water bottle
mounting clamps. If that gets the attention of the media or
aftermarket bicycle accessory market, maybe we can commission a survey
of volunteer cyclists to count the number of hose clamps found on the
road, some of which probably fell off of water bottle cage mounts. By
offering a bounty for hose clamps found, statistically relevant
figures can be manufactured errr... determined. Nothing is sacred
when safety when invoked in the name of safety.

Since almost no one mounts a bottle cage in that way I don't think that
a double-blind, peer-reviewed study on hose clamps would accomplish a
whole lot, but you should contact UCSC and see if they can find a
doctoral candidate to conduct such a study. But I have no doubt that if
such a study were ever conducted that it would be attacked with claims
that hose clamps used on gardening hoses pose a much bigger danger but
were ignored by the study. Or perhaps it would be someone falling out of
bed onto a hose clamp that had been dropped.

Old May 26th 19, 10:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

John B. wrote:

wrote:

[...]

The is some sort of theory, "Occam's Razor" I believe, that says that
the simplest solution is likely to be correct ?

The thing about Occam’s Razor that is often overlooked is that it’s
referring to the simplest SOLUTION, not the simplest hair brained scheme.

A correlation might be "do it the simple way and you won't get hurt".
Just stick the damned bottle in your pocket :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

--