Titanium or carbon

Old July 16th 03, 12:22 AM
Tim Axtelle

Default Titanium or carbon

Jasper Janssen wrote in message . ..
On 11 Jun 2003 17:32:42 -0700, (Chalo) wrote:

Since both of those frame materials are offered because they are
exotic (and not because of any significant superiority compared to
quality steel or aluminum), then the better one is the one that turns
you on more. That's the only noticeable advantage either material
possesses over the cheaper alternatives anyway.

Ti has the big advantage of not needing paint and thus looking great.

Jasper

The other big advantage to Ti over carbon is the metallic 'ping' sound
that the cable spacers make when you go over a bump in the road. I
love that. Probably just me.
Old July 18th 03, 08:50 AM
Dr Engelbert Buxbaum

Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A. wrote:

Ti has nearly the same ductility as steel. Carbon snaps.

That depends on temperature. When I was caving in England, using Single
Rope Technique, I was warned against using titanium carabines in my
equipment. There had actually been accidents because they can suddenly
shatter at the low temperatures in caves (about 4 degrees C). We always
used aluminium crabs to hang our lives on.

Old July 19th 03, 04:16 AM
Leonard Migliore

In article , Dr Engelbert Buxbaum
wrote:

Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A. wrote:

Ti has nearly the same ductility as steel. Carbon snaps.

That depends on temperature. When I was caving in England, using Single
Rope Technique, I was warned against using titanium carabines in my
equipment. There had actually been accidents because they can suddenly
shatter at the low temperatures in caves (about 4 degrees C). We always
used aluminium crabs to hang our lives on.

If titanium cracks at 4 degrees C, why aren't the jet engine fans
exploding off of more airplanes? They see air a lot colder than that.
Old July 20th 03, 02:59 AM
Mike Latondresse

(Dave Beal) wrote in
om:

"Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote in message
gy.com...
What make you think that Colnago is responsible for a frame
breaking in an accident? The warranty is against
"manufacturer's defects" not accidents.

Trek would say the same thing, as would any other
manufacturer.

Well, not ANY manufacturer. Check out Kestrel's 'No-Fault
Warranty' on selected carbon frames. It covers any damage
including accidents and outright abuse.

http://www.kestrel-usa.com/

According to Kestrel's website-
===================================
Your replacement cost will vary depending on the age of the
product, but will be no more than 65% of the current
manufacturer's suggested retail price at the time of the
exchange. Ask your dealer or KESTREL for details and the current
replacement cost. This offer applies only to the original
consumer purchaser for as long as the original consumer purchaser
owns the product.
=======================================

65% of the current suggested retail price is hardly a "no fault"
warranty freebie. What it is is a good way to maintain customer
loyalty, and is not at all unusual. TREK gives a 25% discount
(crash replacement credit, they call it), and I believe
Cannondale has a similar program.

This is far different from saying that TREK, or Kestrel, or
Cannondale is responsible for a frame breaking in an accident.
It's also more desireable as well. The costs of covering
accidentally-wrecked non-warranty frames would have to be passed
on to all users in the form of higher prices.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

I got curious and went to the Litespeed website to check out their
lifetime warranty on Ti frames:
http://www.litespeed.com/asp/warranty.html
Nowhere does it say what the warranty DOES cover, just what it
doesn't. It's nothing but a full page of exclusions and
disclaimers. I love lawyers.

I have a Litespeed Classic in for a broken chainstay/dropout, that much
to my discust happened on Mt. Ventoux on the 11th day of a 48 day
vacation. Litespeed however are going to fix it, inspect all other
welds and repaint the frame and restore it to like new...get back to
you when this happens.