Perhaps someone should tell "BICYCLING" mag's "Style Man" about this...

Old July 20th 03, 08:51 AM
Ryan Cousineau

Default Perhaps someone should tell "BICYCLING" mag's "Style Man" about this...

In article ,
"Eric S. Sande" wrote:

On the gripping hand, I'm reminded of a Penny Arcade comic strip in
which a salesman is trying to sell one of the characters a strategy
guide for a video game. "No thanks, I have the Internet."

I'm inclined to disagree. The bicycle isn't the same thing as
the stereo, simply because we don't interact with them on the
same level.

Why did you quote that one section of my post? It has naught to do with
your point...

I like my Mageneplanars but I love my Schwinn.

I was making a point about their relative pricing more than the
emotional bond you can get with them. I assure you there are people out
there with bicycles and stereos who love their stereos more. Sick, sick
people.

Personally, I tend not to love my Pinarello, and I love it less the more
I think about it. Bikes are bikes. A good one that fits well is a good
biek. After too long off the bike, I get a hankering to ride, but it's
to ride a bike that fits well, not necessarily the Pinarello "Pastiche"
or the Kona Kilauea "Beckle".

Also not emotionally attached to my Infinity RS2s,
--
Ryan Cousineau, http://www.sfu.ca/~rcousine
President, Fabrizio Mazzoleni Fan Club
Old July 20th 03, 07:12 PM
Zoot Katz

Sun, 20 Jul 2003 00:51:23 -0700,
, Ryan Cousineau
wrote:

Personally, I tend not to love my Pinarello, and I love it less the more
I think about it. Bikes are bikes. A good one that fits well is a good
biek. After too long off the bike, I get a hankering to ride, but it's
to ride a bike that fits well, not necessarily the Pinarello "Pastiche"
or the Kona Kilauea "Beckle".

Also not emotionally attached to my Infinity RS2s

That you named the bikes indicates something deeper than the
connection you have with your stereo.

Doofey car rags did bs surveys and found there's a frightening percent
of their readers who profess to love their cars more than their
spouses and children.

Having a bicycle stolen feels much like mourning after the anger
subsides.

Typically when a car is stolen people will worry more about the
personal effects that were in it. A bicycle is usually a very
personalised item.

The bike responds to more physical, earthy and honest action than dial
twiddling. It acquires wear patterns that reflect and confirm your
being. Riding it requires your constant attention. The sensory
feedback is more than just auditory.

There's romance in bicycling that's not matched by anything one can do
with headphones in their lazy boy. The wheel, the road, the wind. . .
all that sappy stuff. The personal growth involved in meeting
challenges and overcoming previous limitations liberates the spirit.
The endorphines aren't too bad either. Bikes are easy to love.
--
zk
Old July 21st 03, 04:38 PM
David Damerell

Default OT wuz Perhaps someone should tell "BICYCLING" mag's "Style Man"

Sheldon Brown wrote:
David Kerber wrote:
On the gripping hand, I'm reminded of a Penny Arcade comic strip in=20

Are you a Niven/Pournelle fan?

Oooh, I am! Except for the one I just finished, "Fallen Angels" which
is a piece of crap.

Niven doesn't have Heinlein's excuse of brain cancer, but the effects have
been much the same - everything's been pretty awful recently.

"The Gripping Hand" was "The Moat Around Murcheson's Eye" in the UK.

Recently discovered Elizabeth Moon, I've been pouring through her
Familias Regnant series...

Like Bujold if Bujold was obsessed with horses. :-)

At the '95 Worldcon Moon sat with me on a bouncy castle I was looking
after and talked to me for a bit - at the time I had no idea who she was.

I'm a sucker for Baen eBooks, spend far too much time reading 'em on my
Clie.

Baen have extracted a phenomenal amount of money from me by giving books
away for free. Come to think of it, a US bike shop has got quite a bit of
money out of me by giving advice away for free...
--
David Damerell flcl?
Old July 21st 03, 04:39 PM
David Damerell

Ryan Cousineau wrote:
Someone's eventually going to figure out what the Penny Arcade reference
says about me,

You _really_ like fruit.
--
David Damerell flcl?