Anyone here built their own wheels?

Old June 29th 04, 06:00 AM
ritcho

Default Anyone here built their own wheels?

I'd like to give it a go. I'm good enough at replacing spokes and truing
after a repair. I think I can follow directions and I'm not in a rush.

I need to know things like: What components are ok? Where did you buy
'em? How much did it cost? Looking at some online shops suggests ready-
made wheels are pretty competitive in price. Maybe some readers out
there know where a better deal can be found.

The proposed wheel would be a 700c road wheel to take a 20-23mm tyre.

Just a thought...

Ritch

Old June 29th 04, 07:30 AM
flyingdutch

ritcho wrote:
I'd like to give it a go. I'm good enough at replacing spokes and truing
after a repair. I think I can follow directions and I'm not in a rush.
I need to know things like: What components are ok? Where did you buy
'em? How much did it cost? Looking at some online shops suggests ready-
made wheels are pretty competitive in price. Maybe some readers out
there know where a better deal can be found.
The proposed wheel would be a 700c road wheel to take a 20-23mm tyre.
Just a thought...
Ritch

hmmm. dark arts stuff

i think SuzyJ and BikeSpoiler may have been referred to as holders of
such wizadry...

Old June 29th 04, 08:10 AM
Shane Stanley

In article ,
flyingdutch wrote:

hmmm. dark arts stuff

Not at all (he says, not having done it himself yet, mind). All you need
to know is at somewhere like http://www.sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html,
or better still, get hold of Jobst's 'The Bicycle Wheel'.

--
Shane Stanley
Old June 29th 04, 12:02 PM
K&C Russell

"ritcho" wrote in message
news
I'd like to give it a go. I'm good enough at replacing spokes and truing
after a repair. I think I can follow directions and I'm not in a rush.

I need to know things like: What components are ok? Where did you buy
'em? How much did it cost? Looking at some online shops suggests ready-
made wheels are pretty competitive in price. Maybe some readers out
there know where a better deal can be found.

The proposed wheel would be a 700c road wheel to take a 20-23mm tyre.

Just a thought...

Ritch

--

Hi Ritch,

I have built them and raced on them and not had to true them. I dont think
you are going to save much money building the wheels but there is something
special about riding/racing your own wheel.

I think you need to be patient and able to follow directions (Sheldon Brown
or Jobst Brandt "The Bicycle Wheel"). Cost will vary with the quality of
components and shopping around will save $$$. My 700C wheels use butted
spokes ($70), Open Pro rims ($180) and Ultegra hubs (A$100 ex USA on
special). This cost around $350 for the pair and extra $100 for 2 Pro Race
tyres/tubes.

In addition it helps to have a wheel jig and dishing tool (~$100) but you
can build without them in the frame or an old fork.

Once you understand the process, you can build different patterns, disk
brake MTBs etc without too much trouble.

It is not as difficult as you might think.

Kevin

Old June 29th 04, 09:59 PM
John Henderson

"K&C Russell" wrote:

I think you need to be patient and able to follow directions
(Sheldon Brown or Jobst Brandt "The Bicycle Wheel").

I've been building my own wheels (infrequently, as the need has
arisen) for 25 years.

But having read many of Jobst's articles, I'd really like to get
a copy of his book. Does anyone know of someone with stock of
/The Bicycle Wheel/ (preferably Australian)?

John
Old June 30th 04, 12:00 AM
Shane Stanley

In article ,
John Henderson wrote:

Does anyone know of someone with stock of
/The Bicycle Wheel/ (preferably Australian)?

I couldn't find an Australian stockist. Ended up going to amazon.com.

--
Shane Stanley
Old June 30th 04, 01:00 AM
mfhor

John Henderson wrote:
"K&C Russell" wrote:
I think you need to be patient and able to follow directions (Sheldon
Brown or Jobst Brandt "The Bicycle Wheel").

I've been building my own wheels (infrequently, as the need has arisen)
for 25 years.
But having read many of Jobst's articles, I'd really like to get a copy
of his book. Does anyone know of someone with stock of /The Bicycle
Wheel/ (preferably Australian)?
John

I got a copy off a friend, and I have to say, he's incredibly
opinionated. There are better manuals for those of us who are just
starting out. Rob Van der Plas is a good author to start with, Sheldon
Brown is fun (but also a bit opinionated), and if you can get hold of
Ian Christie's crusty old hand-illustrated tome, that's where I first
cut my teeth.

The most important thing in building good wheels is trying to get EVEN
SPOKE TENSION. Say that five times before you go to bed, and you'll have
got it. DT and others make a very expensive spoke tension gauges, but
they are not necessary for the occasional set of wheels. Al the below
suggestions may help you get more even spoke tension in the rear wheel,
critical for longevity and low spoke breakage.

For your first set, 32 spokes per wheel, 3 cross pattern is an
uncomplicated beginning. Get good spokes - DT, Sapim, Wheelsmith are
readily available in Oz. Use Damon Rinard's online spoke calculator (or
download his freeware Excel spreadsheet) for lengths, round them down to
the nearest even mm. DT online calculator is a disaster, which is a
shame, because they are my favourite spokes.

Don't use ultra thin D/B or bladed spokes for your first wheels, tho'
2/1.8/2 mm spokes are great for ride quality and spoke longevity.

Good rims are stiff and true out of the box. 420 grams is a good weight.
Eyelets, with today's alloys, aren't strictly necessary. OCR, or OSB for
the rear rim, especially if you are heavy, powerful, is a good idea.
Check Ritchey/Velocity/Bontrager website for details. Ritchey catalogue
is a .pdf download with good information.

Ritchey Zero system hubs are also a really good idea for keeping the
back wheel true, esp. if you use Campag drivetrains with their radical
dishing of the rear wheel.

I am not an ad for Ritchey, although I really like their product. I also
really like DT spokes and hubs (Hugi is now incorporated). Mavic rims
are good, but their lighter ones crack a bit more often then I'd like.

Use really good rimtape. Velox/Zefal cloth sticky tape seems to
be the best.

Lube both the heads and threads of the nipple with chainlube after you
have laced the wheel up, in the truing jig. Others use DriLube, or Spoke
Prep, but all seem to work equally well.

Dish the wheel (front and back), tighten, true, destress, check dish,
tighten, true, destress, true, destress, final true is the rough order I
use when building, then put the rimtape/tyre/tube/cassette on and go for
a short ride. Have another look at the tension and roundness of the
wheel after this. Retrue if necessary - you don't need to take the tyre
off unless it is radically out of round.

Tighten nipples up with a close fitting spoke-key. If you need to take
them to a shop post first attempt, you will annoy the mechanic no end
with rounded nipples. You may need to do this. Don't be bashful - we all
need bailing out of our technical malfeasances at some stage

Good on you for having a go.

MH

Old June 30th 04, 01:26 AM
hippy

"mfhor" wrote in message

snip mfhor's cool wheel building tips

Kingsley, do you think this should go in the faq?

hippy

Old June 30th 04, 01:45 AM
suzyj

Originally posted by ritcho:
I'd like to give it a go

Good deal. It's not nearly as hard to do as you'd think

What components are ok

My standard hubs are Campy Chorus. You'd prolly be best with Shimano 10
or Ultegra. I've always had joy sticking with major manufacturer hubs
as they generally use better bearings

Can't go past bog standard Mavic Open-pro rims (in silver). Tough
relatively light, not especially expensive, and good to build with
Failing them, any eyeletted rim is good

I like 14/15 guage DT stainless spokes. I've also enjoyed using Sapim
Go for butted spokes though, as they actually make a tougher (mor
fatigue resistant) wheel than straight guage, and are lighter to boot

Where did you buy 'em

Hubs: Mailorder from UK or US. I like Deeside cycles in the UK, Sheldo
(Harris) and Peter Chisholm (Vecchios) in the US. Generally the UK i
cheaper, but the US guys can get obscure stuff for you (like my Suzu
fixed hubs)

I buy my rims and spokes locally, either from the LBS (Cheeky Monkey ar
good eggs) or somewhere like Dean Woods or Phantom Cycles. Postage ca
hurt on rims

How much did it cost

Hubs are from $150 to $400 odd for the pair. Rims are around $220 fo
the pair, spokes about $100 odd for both wheels

Looking at some online shops suggests ready-made wheels are prett
competitive in price

Ready made wheels typically have either not enough spokes (makes the
cheaper to assemble) or poorly tensioned spokes. Hand made is _much
better for wheels

I have all the kit required; truing stand, linseed oil, spoke keys, etc
plus have done perhaps twenty wheels over the years. If you like I ca
help you assemble them

Regards

Suz

-

Old June 30th 04, 03:30 AM
mfhor

wrote:
Good deal. It's not nearly as hard to do as you'd think.
What components are ok?

My standard hubs are Campy Chorus. You'd prolly be best with Shimano 105
or Ultegra. I've always had joy sticking with major manufacturer hubs,
as they generally use better bearings.
Just be really careful with hubs. Campag (only Septics say Campy -
sounds like Queer Eye for the Straight Bike) are NOT, NEVER HAVE, AND
WILL NEVER BE (and proud of it too) compatible with Shimano, except by
accident (viz 9-speed wheels). Mavic hubs in their built-up wheels will
allow a cassette body swapover, as will a few other brands. Check
before purchase.
Can't go past bog standard Mavic Open-pro rims (in silver). Tough,
relatively light, not especially expensive, and good to build with.
Failing them, any eyeletted rim is good.
And some non-eyeletted: Ritchey, some Velocity, Ambrosio, Vuelta etc.,
Torricelli in the US are getting a good rap.
I like 14/15 guage DT stainless spokes. I've also enjoyed using Sapim.
Go for butted spokes though, as they actually make a tougher (more
fatigue resistant) wheel than straight guage, and are lighter to boot.
Where did you buy 'em?

Hubs: Mailorder from UK or US. I like Deeside cycles in the UK, Sheldon
(Harris) and Peter Chisholm (Vecchios) in the US. Generally the UK is
cheaper, but the US guys can get obscure stuff for you (like my Suzue
fixed hubs).
I buy my rims and spokes locally, either from the LBS (Cheeky Monkey are
good eggs) or somewhere like Dean Woods or Phantom Cycles. Postage can
hurt on rims.
How much did it cost?

Hubs are from $150 to $400 odd for the pair. Rims are around $220 for
the pair, spokes about $100 odd for both wheels.
Looking at some online shops suggests ready-made wheels are pretty
competitive in price.

Ready made wheels typically have either not enough spokes (makes them
cheaper to assemble) or poorly tensioned spokes. Hand made is _much_
better for wheels.

Originally posted by suzyj

Have to disagree with you there. A 16/20/24 spoke setup, or combination
of the above patterns has to be built spot-on to survive. I normally
recommend that anything less than 28 spokes only be used for weekend
riding - racing or posing, whichever takes your fancy. Some of the high-
end (expensive) ready-made wheels have been done on state of the art
building machines, and finished off by hand by v.experienced builders.
Seems like the Ritchey and Wheelcraft (Dirtworks) wheels are good value
- performance for money (weight, wind resistance, build integrity, lack
of brand-name bull****).

Mid-price off the shelf wheels can be good value, if the components are
OK - but they need to be retensioned before sale for maximum life.

MH

BTW - Spoke lube: linseed oil? Yuk. Not enough shear strength under
compression loading. IM(H?)O.

MH

FS: Spinergy Rev Roks Wheels - 26" MTB Lee Bower Marketplace 2 July 7th 08 07:27 PM
new wheels = new bike davek UK 8 June 11th 04 06:11 PM
FS: Mavic wheels Jeff S. Marketplace 0 September 1st 03 04:43 AM
F/S LEW graphite 650c Tubular Wheels Marketplace 0 July 31st 03 08:00 PM