Airfree Tires: RIPOFF SCAM

Old September 15th 04, 03:52 AM
Mike Kruger

"Benjamin Lewis" wrote in message

Keyboard!

I don't get it...

Sorry, it's a convention is some newsgroups that if something really
makes you LOL, you mention that the purveyor of the comic quip has
caused you to ruin your keyboard by spraying it with coffee.

rec.bicycles.tech doesn't seem to have an acknowledged convention for
that;

That because, aside from the occasional zinger from Jobst, we're a fairly
humourless bunch over here.

However, I note that this is also cross-posted to .misc and .soc.

Over here in .misc, we're into trolls, politics and helmet wars these days.

Old September 15th 04, 04:21 AM
Benjamin Lewis

Mike Kruger wrote:

"Benjamin Lewis" wrote in message

Keyboard!

I don't get it...

Sorry, it's a convention is some newsgroups that if something really
makes you LOL, you mention that the purveyor of the comic quip has
caused you to ruin your keyboard by spraying it with coffee.

rec.bicycles.tech doesn't seem to have an acknowledged convention for
that;

That because, aside from the occasional zinger from Jobst, we're a
fairly humourless bunch over here.

However, I note that this is also cross-posted to .misc and .soc.

Over here in .misc, we're into trolls, politics and helmet wars these
days.

Yes, I read misc too. In fact, I even made some posts to that "Troll, not
published helmet research" thread back when I was a young lad, and it was
still called "published helmet research - not troll".

--
Benjamin Lewis

I regret to say that we of the FBI are powerless to act in cases of
oral-genital intimacy, unless it has in some way obstructed interstate
commerce. -- J. Edgar Hoover
Old September 15th 04, 09:58 AM
Just zis Guy, you know?

Benjamin Lewis wrote:

Yes, I read misc too. In fact, I even made some posts to that
"Troll, not published helmet research" thread back when I was a young
lad, and it was still called "published helmet research - not troll".

The funny part is, Zaumie never even noticed the change in thread title :-)

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at Washington
University

Old September 15th 04, 02:46 PM
the black rose

Mike Kruger wrote:

"Benjamin Lewis" wrote in message

Keyboard!

I don't get it...

Sorry, it's a convention is some newsgroups that if something really
makes you LOL, you mention that the purveyor of the comic quip has
caused you to ruin your keyboard by spraying it with coffee.

rec.bicycles.tech doesn't seem to have an acknowledged convention for
that;

That because, aside from the occasional zinger from Jobst, we're a fairly
humourless bunch over here.

However, I note that this is also cross-posted to .misc and .soc.

Over here in .misc, we're into trolls, politics and helmet wars these days.

Dang, is that argument still going? I marked that thread Ignore at
least a couple weeks ago.

-km

--
Only cowards fight kids -- unidentified Moscow protester
the black rose
Old September 15th 04, 04:44 PM
Lewis Campbell

wrote in message:-

I can't visualize what sort of bicycling you do with solid tires, but
exceeding 15mph while riding over even a 1/2" step in the pavement
will damage rims, there being insufficient compression in a
non-pneumatic tire to absorb such shock. Just the same, there is a
use for these tires but it is not a reasonable solution to flat tires
considering how many thousand miles most riders cover between flats.
I can't imagine riding 1000 miles on "Airfree Tires".

Jobst Brandt

Well, Jobst, I can imagine it.

I have used several varieties of Airfree Tires for about 5 years now
and have been VERY happy with them, not that I don't also have bikes
with pneumatic tires but the 2 that are shod with Airfrees (a single
speed and a fixie) are just great machines for what I use them for.

Most people don't _understand_ Airfree Tires and herein lies the
problem.

1 ) You're NOT going to win the Tour using these tires. In fact, they
may actually slow you down but NOT very much.

2 ) They are VERY 'rim specific'.

Failing to understand these two things, coupled with so many people's
ineptitude to measure thing like rims accurately, is by far the cause
of most people's dissatisfaction with them.

There are differences between Airless tires from one manufacturer to
another which cause many of them to be VERY 'recreational' and there
is only one that I have tried, that could in my opinion, be considered
a 'performance' tire.

This means that for MOST people, riding on Airfree Tires will only be
a dream, until some manufacturer starts making them in a VARIETY of
POPULAR sizes.

I live that dream and I am loving it. :-)

Lewis.

************************
Old September 15th 04, 04:44 PM
S o r n i

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
Benjamin Lewis wrote:

Yes, I read misc too. In fact, I even made some posts to that
"Troll, not published helmet research" thread back when I was a young
lad, and it was still called "published helmet research - not troll".

The funny part is, Zaumie never even noticed the change in thread
title :-)

Now don't be bringing that sh^t down here.

Bill "it's like ebola, I tells ya" S.

Old September 15th 04, 05:06 PM
tph

Hugh from Airfree Tires ignored my requests for a refund for 5 months...
but he replied to my e-mail within a day of my original Usenet posting.
Here is a little e-mail exchange:

--- wrote:

often times people get thier money back by disputing the charges
with
thier credit card company. Spewing venom may feel good for the
short
term but doesn't solve anything. If you are looking for a refund
then
fine, but before you write things you may later regret make sure
you
have checked your options. If you aren't satisified with your
customer
experience then yours will prove to be an isolated experience but
you
can still get your refund via your credit card. Companies make
mistakes
but your actions border on malicious.

Hugh

My reply:
I truly cannot believe you replied to me after 5 months of sending
e-mails which you ignored. And after at least 15 answering machine
messages which you also ignored. And, now, your answer is basically,
get a refund thru your bank if you want. I have read your postings
about the wonderful integrity of your company, Hugh, so why don't you
prove it and REFUND my money???

And, if my experience is an "isolated" one, why does the South
Florida Better Business Bureau have an unsatisfactory rating for you?
I did not make that up, I can forward you their e-mail. Why don't
you provide refunds to unsatisfied customers? Why don't you EVER
answer your phone and respond to complaints?

I cannot believe after months of trying, the only response from you
is to accuse me of being malicious... Do you deny double billing my
credit card? Do you deny NEVER sending me the merchandise I PAID
FOR?? You say "companies make mistakes"... sorry, Hugh, this is more
than a mistake, it is a rip-off. Are you admitting a mistake? If so,
then why should I have to go through my bank to get a refund?

Prove me wrong, Hugh...go ahead and refund my money. I regret NOTHING
I have written, because it's the truth. BTW, you owe me $200.55. My
next "option" is small claims court...
Old September 24th 04, 10:46 PM
vlad

What could have happened to Hugh Waters?

I first bought tires from www.airfreetires. in Oct 2001. Had goo
dealings with Mr Waters. As many of you know I use, and advocate us
of, the airfree tires. See my thread in Bloody Soapbox
http://www.cyclingforums.com/t39155.html

After May 2004 Mr Waters no longer answered my emails.

I now buy airfree tires from KIK Tire 760-967-2777
Be aware that the tires are made to order. You must expect to wai
three weeks or so for delivery.

I weigh 250 lbs and prefer these airfree tires which give excellen
ride similar IMO to Michelin WildGripper at 90psi. (I think fixin
flats is a PITA and would use pneumatics again only in extremis.)

26x1.9 Ocelot High Profile High Resilient 30% black. (actual OD 1.52")
tire requires a rim 20 mm to 23 mm inside diamteter and at least 13 m
deep.

26x1.9 Undirectional High Resilient +30% black. (actual tire OD 1.90")
tire requires a rim 21mm to 24mm ID, and atleast 13mm deep.

I have used both Ocelot and Unidirectional on my Schwinn Impact whic
has 559-22 rims.

I presently have Unidirectional on my Trek 8000 (bought new in Sep '03
on Shimano LX hub/Sun Mammoth rims. These rims measure 1.5 mm to
shallow for that tire, but I have had no problems at all.

We have five bikes equipped with airfree tires. We like 'em

--
vlad