Strongest SPD Pedals ?

Old March 20th 05, 01:45 PM
Peter Cole

Ryan Cousineau wrote:

Anyways, the 6x6 pedals have something approaching a cult following.

have a set of the 636 pedals, and they work fine. Both pedals are now

discontinued, but are readily available, as well as more or less
reasonable replacements.

Those are monster DH pedals. I never understood why anyone would use
them other than for their intended purpose (catching big air after
being winched up on a ski lift). Now 747's -- there's a cult pedal,
pure beauty on or off-road. Can't kill them either.

Old March 21st 05, 06:48 AM
Ryan Cousineau

In article .com,
"Peter Cole" wrote:

Ryan Cousineau wrote:

Anyways, the 6x6 pedals have something approaching a cult following.

have a set of the 636 pedals, and they work fine. Both pedals are now

discontinued, but are readily available, as well as more or less
reasonable replacements.

Those are monster DH pedals. I never understood why anyone would use
them other than for their intended purpose (catching big air after
being winched up on a ski lift). Now 747's -- there's a cult pedal,
pure beauty on or off-road. Can't kill them either.

They were originally aimed at the BMX market.

One advantage of the 636 design is that you can momentarily unclip to
ride them as if they were platform pedals.

as for the chair-lift set, they are almost entirely on flat pedals.

--
Ryan Cousineau, http://www.wiredcola.com
Verus de parvis; verus de magnis.
Old March 21st 05, 04:59 PM

Magnusfarce wrote:
Which models would be considered among the strongest two-sided SPD

pedals?
Weight is not an issue. As long as we're at it, are any considered

to be
relatively flimsy?

- Magnusfarce

If you mean most durable, the Times are clearly
the best.

Robert

Old March 21st 05, 08:04 PM
Matt O'Toole

Peter Cole wrote:

Ryan Cousineau wrote:

Anyways, the 6x6 pedals have something approaching a cult following.
I have a set of the 636 pedals, and they work fine. Both pedals are
now

discontinued, but are readily available, as well as more or less
reasonable replacements.

Those are monster DH pedals. I never understood why anyone would use
them other than for their intended purpose (catching big air after
being winched up on a ski lift). Now 747's -- there's a cult pedal,
pure beauty on or off-road. Can't kill them either.

I use the older 535 (525?), which is similar to the 747 -- same generation, one
model cheaper. The ones on my MTB are several years old and still going strong.
For some unknown reason they seem to clip and release more predictably than the
newer ones. I wanted identical pedals for my road bike, so I sought them out on
eBay and got a NOS pair for $25. They're great.

My original 737s weren't nearly as good, and lasted only 4 years or so. I think
the durability of my current pedals speaks for itself. I flush them with
solvent and relube with Phil Oil occasionally, because they're too fiddly to
disassemble. It seems to work anyway. As far as strength goes, the steel axles
in these are probably stronger than the bones in your foot. What more could you
possibly want?

I hate single sided SPDs. I don't see the point in so much hassle, in the name
of racy minimalism and saving maybe an ounce. It pains me to see other riders
struggling to get into these. Some don't even like to ride their road bikes
through town, because they have so much difficulty with their pedals in stop and
go traffic.

Matt O.

Old March 21st 05, 08:07 PM
Matt O'Toole

Ryan Cousineau wrote:

One advantage of the 636 design is that you can momentarily unclip to
ride them as if they were platform pedals.

I have no trouble riding a couple of miles on my regular SPDs in tennis shoes.

The 636 comes in handy for riders who are bouncing around a lot, like
BMX/slalom/downhill racers. In fact I think slalom was the original intended
market.

Matt O.

Old March 21st 05, 11:01 PM
jj

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 15:07:46 -0500, "Matt O'Toole"
wrote:

Ryan Cousineau wrote:

One advantage of the 636 design is that you can momentarily unclip to
ride them as if they were platform pedals.

I have no trouble riding a couple of miles on my regular SPDs in tennis shoes.

The 636 comes in handy for riders who are bouncing around a lot, like
BMX/slalom/downhill racers. In fact I think slalom was the original intended
market.

Matt O.

There's a couple gadgets that snap into SPD pedals allowing you to pedal in
regular tennis shoes.

Here's a plastic one from Nashbar ($5 bucks US):

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...nd=&s ku=2434

Here's a better closeup picture of the above:
http://www.eyebike.com/product/nashb...ptor-p370.html

Winwood makes a similar thing out of metal, but requires you purchase a set
of cleats (not included). They weigh 250gms and are supposedly a bit
difficult to get on and off ($25bucks US):

http://www.winwoodbike.com/pedal.html

Never tried 'em, so ymmv, caveat emptor, yada, yada.

jj

Old March 22nd 05, 04:17 AM
RonSonic

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 15:04:57 -0500, "Matt O'Toole" wrote:

Peter Cole wrote:

Ryan Cousineau wrote:

[...]

Nashbar has the 525s for $30. I've got 'em on the mountain and road bikes. Just
too good a pedal for too cheap to not go with.

Old March 22nd 05, 12:38 PM
Peter Cole

wrote:

Nashbar has the 525s for $30. I've got 'em on the mountain and road

bikes. Just
too good a pedal for too cheap to not go with.

Yeah, I scooped a pair, with a 20% off coupon, $24, crazy deal when you
consider they come with cleats & cleats are $20 by themselves.

Old March 22nd 05, 02:31 PM
RonSonic

wrote:

Nashbar has the 525s for $30. I've got 'em on the mountain and road

bikes. Just
too good a pedal for too cheap to not go with.

Yeah, I scooped a pair, with a 20% off coupon, $24, crazy deal when you
consider they come with cleats & cleats are $20 by themselves.

One thing I should've mentioned for anyone else considering them, is these are
the cleats without float, so if you need that you'll be using your old ones or
buying another pair of cleats.

Hey does Shimano still sell the old "pontoons" for making SPDs on a road shoe
walkable?

Ron

Old March 22nd 05, 06:36 PM
Mike Latondresse

RonSonic wrote in
:

wrote:

Nashbar has the 525s for $30. I've got 'em on the mountain and
road

bikes. Just
too good a pedal for too cheap to not go with.

Yeah, I scooped a pair, with a 20% off coupon, $24, crazy deal
when you consider they come with cleats & cleats are $20 by
themselves.

One thing I should've mentioned for anyone else considering them,
is these are the cleats without float, so if you need that you'll
be using your old ones or buying another pair of cleats.

I think that both types have float it is just that one is a multi-
release and the other releases like normal road pedals.