Size 700 bicycle tyres.

Old March 9th 16, 09:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
ian field

Default Size 700 bicycle tyres.

Is that just the new fangled name for the old 26 x 1-3/8" that were the
standard for the old Raleigh cycles of yesteryear?

Thanks.

Old March 9th 16, 09:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike Causer[_3_]

On Wed, 9 Mar 2016 21:08:50 -0000
"Ian Field" wrote:

Is that just the new fangled name for the old 26 x 1-3/8" that were the
standard for the old Raleigh cycles of yesteryear?

The Blessed Cap'n Bike said no.

http://sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html

Mike

Old March 9th 16, 09:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
ian field

"Mike Causer" wrote in message
On Wed, 9 Mar 2016 21:08:50 -0000
"Ian Field" wrote:

Is that just the new fangled name for the old 26 x 1-3/8" that were the
standard for the old Raleigh cycles of yesteryear?

The Blessed Cap'n Bike said no.

http://sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html

According to that; the 700 is 29" - I'm pretty sure the wheel isn't that
big.

The markings on the sidewall are difficult to make out, but it looks like
700 something................

Just out of curiosity - what is the new fangled designation for the old 26 x
1-3/8", that list says 597mm but I've never seen anything like that on a
sidewall.

Old March 9th 16, 09:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 3/9/2016 3:08 PM, Ian Field wrote:
Is that just the new fangled name for the old 26 x 1-3/8"
that were the standard for the old Raleigh cycles of
yesteryear?

Thanks.

Nope.

The early high-zoot Raleighs like my 1932 RRA used 26 x
1-1/4 597mm or EA1 rims
The more popular Sports, LTD, Superbe etc Raleighs through
1985 were 26 x 1-3/8 590mm aka "British EA3"
Both sizes have withered away in favor of 26 decimal
(26x1.5, 1.75, 2.125) or 559mm diameter.

Mostly post-WWII club models went bigger to 27x1-1/4 630mm
or British K2. These were known in England as 'HP' format
until they faded away after 1985.

Tubular rims for road and track have the same brake height
as a 700C 622mm rim. Known in England as Continental
clinchers they have since become a popular world standard
with widths ranging 18mm out to 60mm. The fat ones are
called '29' even though the rims are smaller than 27".

It's 700C because earlier much less common larger rim sizes
were 700A and 700B. A kludgy smaller 700D was tried but
failed to catch on (probably more than you wanted to know).

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old March 9th 16, 11:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike Causer[_3_]

On Wed, 9 Mar 2016 21:41:21 -0000
"Ian Field" wrote:

http://sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html

According to that; the 700 is 29" - I'm pretty sure the wheel isn't that
big.

It's called "marketing", bigger is better, right? As Andrew said the
currently fashionable 29-er is on a 700C rim.

Heh, I have full-size three bikes with 16", two with 17" and my most
recent new purchase is nominally 24". They ride very well, don't sweat
over it.

Mike

Old March 10th 16, 12:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wednesday, March 9, 2016 at 4:08:43 PM UTC-5, Ian Field wrote:
Is that just the new fangled name for the old 26 x 1-3/8" that were the
standard for the old Raleigh cycles of yesteryear?

Thanks.

https://goo.gl/oe7aE4

700 is the standard. also look up

https://www.google.com/#q=etrto

there may be a larger than 700 29" but that is or was a European dimension. Not imported to USA

problems with mounting are almost exclusively the mounters as in looks good but does not go on rim

clean rim with thinner n blue scrubbee pad. blue is in Wal

wipe with Isopropyl.

look under clincher overhang for debris. scrub that area good.

lube sidewall going on rim first with CRC silicone.

on your lap, squeeze bead onto rim at belly then work outwards both hands pushing tire outward away from you as you pinch beads onto rim.

when the tire is tight, spray that area with CRC and

INSERT ONE LEVER AT THE START OF THE TIGHTNESS. PRY LEVER BETWEEN RIM AND BEAD AND HOOK ONTO SPOKE

repeat levering and hooking.

again squeeze beads both hands toward levers.

do that insert pry hook and squeeze beads outward toward levers

then the tire will go om.

foolproof.

however that will not fit a 26" tire on a 700 rim or opposite.

and doahn come here to complain either.

Old March 10th 16, 09:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Wednesday, March 9, 2016 at 9:42:00 PM UTC, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

But not more than I want to know.

Yo, Tosspot, a 29er rim is a marketing designation for a 700C/622mm rim with a fat low pressure tyre on it.

Originally, it 29er was intended to be a rim no less than 40% the width of the tyre, but the rim manufacturers feared they would lose money on stocks of narrower rims when 29 inch tyres (outer circumference, fits same 700C/622mm rims above) took off, so ERTRO backpedalled on the engineering requirement and now the greedy creeps fit 29er tyres to rims as narrow as 16mm, which cancels a lot of their advantage. You can read an article by me on that subject at http://coolmainpress.com/ajwriting/h...mpty-verbiage/
where you will also discover the math behind the "29".

My own 29er is the real thing, of course; see my Kranich at http://coolmainpress.com/BICYCLING.html (at the same place you can find my bikes on Marathon Plus and its Bontrager workalike). On the Kranich I use 60x622 tyres on rims 25mm across the bead retainers inside. Chalo like even wider is, using mountain unicycle rims 32mm across the beads.

Andre Jute
No Chinese copies chez Jute
Old March 10th 16, 09:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Thursday, March 10, 2016 at 12:35:11 AM UTC, wrote:
On Wednesday, March 9, 2016 at 4:08:43 PM UTC-5, Ian Field wrote:
Is that just the new fangled name for the old 26 x 1-3/8" that were the
standard for the old Raleigh cycles of yesteryear?

Thanks.

https://goo.gl/oe7aE4

700 is the standard. also look up

https://www.google.com/#q=etrto

there may be a larger than 700 29" but that is or was a European dimension. Not imported to USA

You're confused, Daniels. A 700C rim is a 622mm rim for both narrow and wide tyres, including 29er tyres; see my post to Tosspot about the now largely notional rim width difference between standard tyres and wide tyres. There was, I very vaguely recall, a 630mm rim, but it didn't take (maybe Mr Muzi knows about it), and there is also a 30inch rim still current, used in monocycles, especially the type used for municycling, which is mountain monocycling.

Andre Jute
If every manufacturer can make his own "standard", there is no standard
Old March 10th 16, 09:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
ian field

"Andre Jute" wrote in message
[...]

Mines a salvage item, eventually its to be stripped and any scrap metal for
the scrap man.

Just trying to determine if its worth making room in the garage for a wheel
size I don't usually use.

Old March 11th 16, 12:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

there is no standard

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oo

https://goo.gl/D2uydm

double wall Sun rims here are 22mm across in real measure. Widest I could find 2008. Several other makes had the same OD but the ID was 21mm or slightly less.
Is that non standard, prob not.

Harris - Sheldon Brown has a chart showing acceptable ranges for fat tires to rim widths.

We're on the rural, good riding, side of Daytona's Bike Week headed for the 200 Mile production 1200 race before dawn over the Atl tomorrow morning. AAA weather.

Large groups of HD in full rig more as the week ends, a few Café less as the weekend approach's..one or 2 side cars waving hi....no Laverda so far. Prob downtown.

my screen shows an acute above E in Café ....?? ...during Bike Week ? maybe dirt but I cleaned n no itsan acute. amazing.

Why bicycle tyres are different from car tires Andre Jute Techniques 28 February 26th 08 08:29 AM
tube size and mtb tyres Al M UK 6 March 15th 07 11:04 PM
650B size rims and tyres required [email protected] UK 2 May 25th 05 02:18 PM
650B size rims and tyres required [email protected] UK 1 May 12th 05 08:38 PM
650B size rims and tyres required [email protected] UK 0 May 12th 05 08:26 PM