steel vs aluminium budget touring bikes

Old September 25th 05, 03:45 PM
wafflycat

Default steel vs aluminium budget touring bikes

"m0rk" wrote in message
. ..
Comparing a ridgeback horizon (or dawes) alu budget touring bikes for
comfort ... what sort of real world differences to a steel based
galaxy/other is likely for a heavy lump on 50-100 mile day rides.

Im seeing a lot of mention of alu frames being harsh compared to the
more forgiving steel ... however the budget tourers like the
ridgeback/dawes horizon are alu and being budget driven its a concern.

Having ridden both steel & aluminium, I find no noticeable difference.

Carbon, on the other hand....

Cheers, helen s

Old September 25th 05, 04:23 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

wafflycat waffles*$*A**T*v21net$*££*D*O*T*co*D£$£*O*T*uk wrote:

Having ridden both steel & aluminium, I find no noticeable difference.

You are not alone in this. To the OP: buy whichever bike fits better;
if both are equal the one that has the better components. If they are
still equal, then it's a scientific fact that red bikes are faster.

Guy
Old September 25th 05, 05:37 PM
wafflycat

"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote in message

, then it's a scientific fact that red bikes are faster.

Guy

Nathan agrees.... hence his Cervelo Soloist ;-)

Cheers, helen s

Old September 25th 05, 06:17 PM
Tony B

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
then it's a scientific fact that red bikes are faster.

shome mishtake surely??? I think you mean yellow?????

Tony B
Old September 25th 05, 06:28 PM
MSeries

Tony B wrote:
Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

then it's a scientific fact that red bikes are faster.

shome mishtake surely??? I think you mean yellow?????

Tony B

here here.
Old September 25th 05, 09:29 PM
Biggles

MSeries wrote:
Tony B wrote:

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

then it's a scientific fact that red bikes are faster.

shome mishtake surely??? I think you mean yellow?????

Tony B

here here.

Could we please have a definitive answer as I am thinking of repainting
my red frame yellow and don't want to end up with a slower bike. It was
originally matt black, perhaps I should revert to that for even more
performance? :-)

Biggles
Old September 25th 05, 10:25 PM
dannyfrankszzz

Interesting that you brought this issue up as I was agonising over this
issue for a while a few weeks ago. I looked around on the web and came
across the usual sorts - Dawes, Ridgeback, Cannondale seem to have a
particularly nice series - if you got the lolly.

I'm a current owner of a Marin Muirwoods 26" wheels commuter style
bike. However, rather than upgrading to a tourer with large wheels,
I've opted to stay with my Marin and put some drop handlebars on it.
The main reason for this is that there is a lower centre of gravity
with a 26" wheel bike, which means one expends less energy steering -
thus it's more comfortable - IMHO.

Putting the drops on the bike will be a bit fiddly but worth it, I
think.

SJS cycles have a good range of touring bikes - if you got the lolly.

--
dannyfrankszzz

Old September 25th 05, 11:43 PM
Simon Brooke

in message , Biggles
') wrote:

MSeries wrote:
Tony B wrote:

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

then it's a scientific fact that red bikes are faster.

shome mishtake surely??? I think you mean yellow?????

here here.

Could we please have a definitive answer as I am thinking of repainting
my red frame yellow and don't want to end up with a slower bike. It was
originally matt black, perhaps I should revert to that for even more
performance? :-)

A black bicycle is the sign of a gentleman. Red bicycles are ridden by
bounders, and yellow ones by cads.

'You cannot put "The Internet" into the Recycle Bin.'

Old September 26th 05, 09:13 AM
Peter Clinch

Biggles wrote:

Could we please have a definitive answer as I am thinking of repainting
my red frame yellow and don't want to end up with a slower bike. It was
originally matt black, perhaps I should revert to that for even more
performance? :-)

This sort of earthy red, with black trim as illustrated[1]:

http://www.fortebikes.com/images/Diablo%202.jpg

Pete.

[1] That's the World's Fastest Bike, 81 mph[2] on level ground with no
drafting)

[2] with the right engine, namely Sam Whittingham
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK