steel vs aluminium budget touring bikes

Old September 25th 05, 04:32 PM
Simon Brooke

Default steel vs aluminium budget touring bikes

in message , m0rk
') wrote:

Comparing a ridgeback horizon (or dawes) alu budget touring bikes for
comfort ... what sort of real world differences to a steel based
galaxy/other is likely for a heavy lump on 50-100 mile day rides.

Im seeing a lot of mention of alu frames being harsh compared to the
more forgiving steel ... however the budget tourers like the
ridgeback/dawes horizon are alu and being budget driven its a concern.

Stick a suspension seatpost in. Carbon fibre forks make a big difference,
too. Yes, aluminium is a bit less springy than steel, but it's not very
much. All things being equal I'd prefer a steel frame to an aluminium
one for a tourer - marginally more comfortable, and repairable if it
bends/breaks - but against that at the same price point an aluminium
frame will tend to be lighter, and, as you say, aluminium frames are now
cheaper.

An aluminium frame with a carbon fibre fork and either a carbon fibre
seatpost or a suspension seatpost will be as comfortable as a steel
frame.

;; I'll have a proper rant later, when I get the time.