Bamboo bikes to End Poverty?

Old October 27th 07, 06:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
spdrecrd

Default Bamboo bikes to End Poverty?

You can build your own bike from strong natural materials like bamboo.
But can hand built bikes end poverty? Here's an article about David
Ho, who is proposing to teach people in third world countries to build
their own bikes from locally grown, native bamboos...

http://www.pedalpushersonline.com/?CID=1176

Old October 27th 07, 08:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman

spdrecrd ??? wrote:
You can build your own bike from strong natural materials like bamboo.
But can hand built bikes end poverty? Here's an article about David
Ho, who is proposing to teach people in third world countries to build
their own bikes from locally grown, native bamboos...

http://www.pedalpushersonline.com/?CID=1176

If they can can sell them from $2695 to $3195 per frame like Craig
Calfee [1], yes they would escape poverty.

[1] http://www.calfeedesign.com/bamboo.htm.

When did ignorance of biology become a "family value"?
Old October 28th 07, 03:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman

still me wrote:
On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 10:24:50 -0700, spdrecrd
wrote:

You can build your own bike from strong natural materials like bamboo.
But can hand built bikes end poverty? Here's an article about David
Ho, who is proposing to teach people in third world countries to build
their own bikes from locally grown, native bamboos...

http://www.pedalpushersonline.com/?CID=1176

I dunno, but evidence posted here indicates that bamboo is probably a
more durable frame material than carbon fiber.

Them thar fightin' words to Kentucky Bourbon Man.

When did ignorance of biology become a "family value"?
Old October 28th 07, 07:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

still me wrote:
I dunno, but evidence posted here indicates that bamboo is probably a
more durable frame material than carbon fiber.

We haven't discussed effects of mold and termites yet.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Old October 29th 07, 08:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
spdrecrd

Part of the finishing process is to treat and surface the frames in
order to prevent both... But alas, nothing lasts forever. Metals rust
or corrode...

Old October 31st 07, 05:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike Cline

On Oct 27, 10:24 am, spdrecrd wrote:
You can build your own bike from strong natural materials like bamboo.
But can hand built bikes end poverty? Here's an article about David
Ho, who is proposing to teach people in third world countries to build
their own bikes from locally grown, native bamboos...

http://www.pedalpushersonline.com/?CID=1176

A frame is not a bicycle. Show me a bike with bamboo gears and a
bamboo chain and I'll show you a bike to end poverty. I skimmed the
article and then did a search for the word "component" to make sure I
wasn't missing something here. They seem to have totally ignored the
issue.

Old October 31st 07, 10:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DougC

spdrecrd wrote:
You can build your own bike from strong natural materials like bamboo.
But can hand built bikes end poverty? Here's an article about David
Ho, who is proposing to teach people in third world countries to build
their own bikes from locally grown, native bamboos...

http://www.pedalpushersonline.com/?CID=1176

This seems rather odd, as I understand it.

It'd be like Kenya sending Masai tribesmen into New York City to teach
all the inner-city kids how to hunt goats with a spear, so they'll ever
go hungry.
~
Old November 1st 07, 03:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Doug Cimper wrote:
spdrecrd wrote:
You can build your own bike from strong natural materials like bamboo.
But can hand built bikes end poverty? Here's an article about David
Ho, who is proposing to teach people in third world countries to build
their own bikes from locally grown, native bamboos...

http://www.pedalpushersonline.com/?CID=1176

This seems rather odd, as I understand it.

It'd be like Kenya sending Masai tribesmen into New York City to teach
all the inner-city kids how to hunt goats with a spear, so they'll ever
go hungry.

Plenty of "long pig" to hunt in NYC.

When did ignorance of biology become a "family value"?

Poverty or Snafu Cranks/Hub burjzyntski Unicycling 5 September 28th 05 12:54 AM
poverty six pack a boy called jennifer Australia 0 September 20th 05 12:24 PM
Bamboo bike Robert Chung General 13 May 2nd 05 05:24 AM
Bamboo bike Robert Chung Techniques 13 May 2nd 05 05:24 AM
Bamboo bicycle! Marc Brett UK 11 April 30th 05 03:06 PM