Bicycles banned on Wrexham & Shropshire trains

Old May 7th 08, 09:06 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.rec.cycling
tom

Default Bicycles banned on Wrexham & Shropshire trains

It is with great disappointment that I see that Wrexham & Shropshire
have opted to ban cyclists from their trains:

http://www.wrexhamandshropshire.co.u...vy-luggage.php

I had planned a cycling trip to Wales this June, using their service
to return from Shrewsbury. It looks like it wasn't meant to be - given
that other rail works (and hence bus replacements) that weekend will
also prevent me from travelling by train.

Grrr..
Old May 7th 08, 09:10 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.rec.cycling
Tim Rogers[_2_]

"tom" wrote in message
It is with great disappointment that I see that Wrexham & Shropshire
have opted to ban cyclists from their trains:

http://www.wrexhamandshropshire.co.u...vy-luggage.php

I had planned a cycling trip to Wales this June, using their service
to return from Shrewsbury. It looks like it wasn't meant to be - given
that other rail works (and hence bus replacements) that weekend will
also prevent me from travelling by train.

Mind you I suspect that there's a very good reason for this at present. The
three Mk 3 coaches used in the formations at present have little or no space
for bikes. It will be interesting to see what happens when the DVTs are
ready for use on these services.

Must go out for a spin on these services soon!

Tim

Grrr..

Old May 7th 08, 09:12 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.rec.cycling
Tim Rogers[_2_]

"Tim Rogers" wrote in message

"tom" wrote in message
It is with great disappointment that I see that Wrexham & Shropshire
have opted to ban cyclists from their trains:

http://www.wrexhamandshropshire.co.u...vy-luggage.php

I had planned a cycling trip to Wales this June, using their service
to return from Shrewsbury. It looks like it wasn't meant to be - given
that other rail works (and hence bus replacements) that weekend will
also prevent me from travelling by train.

Mind you I suspect that there's a very good reason for this at present.
The three Mk 3 coaches used in the formations at present have little or no
space for bikes. It will be interesting to see what happens when the DVTs
are ready for use on these services.

In fact to answer my own post above:

Lots of luggage?
Our trains have plenty of space which is conveniently located near your
seat.

You'll find plenty of space for luggage behind seats, in the full-size
overhead racks and in luggage racks at the end of each carriage.

Unfortunately, we will be unable to carry bicycles during the first months
of our service (other than the fold-away bikes which can be fitted behind
seats) and we look forward to offering this service with the arrival of our
newly refurbished trains.

Tim

Old May 7th 08, 10:25 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.rec.cycling
Jack Taylor

Tim Rogers wrote:

In fact to answer my own post above:

Lots of luggage?
Our trains have plenty of space which is conveniently located near
your seat.

You'll find plenty of space for luggage behind seats, in the full-size
overhead racks and in luggage racks at the end of each carriage.

Unfortunately, we will be unable to carry bicycles during the first
months of our service (other than the fold-away bikes which can be
fitted behind seats) and we look forward to offering this service
with the arrival of our newly refurbished trains.

Hmph! Should have read your next post, Tim. That's twice I've done that in
the last week. :-o

Old May 7th 08, 10:26 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.rec.cycling
Jack Taylor

Tim Rogers wrote:

Mind you I suspect that there's a very good reason for this at
present. The three Mk 3 coaches used in the formations at present
have little or no space for bikes. It will be interesting to see what
happens when the DVTs are ready for use on these services.

I'm pretty sure that that is the reason. There are no brake vehicles in the
formations at present, all trains are RFM+SO+SO apart from one which is
RFM+FO (declassified)+SO - so the only place to wedge a bike would be in one
of the vestibules, which probably infringes H&S regulations. Judging from
the way that two of the trains on Saturday were rammed full (the 08:55 up
and the 15:17 down) it would have been an issue. I suspect that once the
DVTs are around the ban will be relaxed.

Old May 8th 08, 05:32 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.rec.cycling
Tom Burton

Mind you I suspect that there's a very good reason for this at
present. The three Mk 3 coaches used in the formations at present
have little or no space for bikes. It will be interesting to see what
happens when the DVTs are ready for use on these services.

I'm pretty sure that that is the reason. There are no brake vehicles in
the formations at present, all trains are RFM+SO+SO apart from one which
is RFM+FO (declassified)+SO - so the only place to wedge a bike would be
in one of the vestibules, which probably infringes H&S regulations.
Judging from the way that two of the trains on Saturday were rammed full
(the 08:55 up and the 15:17 down) it would have been an issue. I suspect
that once the

Really?

I assume that when you say rammed full you mean full of passengers and not
luggage?

How are the other trains loading? very many people were sceptical of the
fares and viability of this service, including myself, but if they are so
full then clearly they are doing something right!

Tom Burton
www.locodocs.co.uk

Old May 8th 08, 07:50 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.rec.cycling
AW[_2_]

Jack Taylor wrote:
Tim Rogers wrote:
Mind you I suspect that there's a very good reason for this at
present. The three Mk 3 coaches used in the formations at present
have little or no space for bikes. It will be interesting to see what
happens when the DVTs are ready for use on these services.

I'm pretty sure that that is the reason. There are no brake vehicles in the
formations at present, all trains are RFM+SO+SO apart from one which is
RFM+FO (declassified)+SO - so the only place to wedge a bike would be in one
of the vestibules, which probably infringes H&S regulations. Judging from
the way that two of the trains on Saturday were rammed full (the 08:55 up
and the 15:17 down) it would have been an issue. I suspect that once the
DVTs are around the ban will be relaxed.

One rake is four coaches (FO RFM SO SO). Still no brake in it though.

AW
Old May 8th 08, 11:03 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.rec.cycling
Jack Taylor

Tom Burton wrote:

I assume that when you say rammed full you mean full of passengers
and not luggage?

Chatting to the guard on Saturday, he mentioned that the 08:55 up had
standing passengers at one point. The 15:17 down had at least two passengers
in every bay of the SO and most bays and all bar two of the single facing
seats in the declassified FO were occupied. I didn't check out occupancy of
first class at the other end of the RFM.

Old May 9th 08, 06:34 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.rec.cycling
naked_draughtsman[_3_]

On Wed, 07 May 2008 13:06:21 -0700, tom wrote:

It is with great disappointment that I see that Wrexham & Shropshire
have opted to ban cyclists from their trains:

http://www.wrexhamandshropshire.co.u...vy-luggage.php

I had planned a cycling trip to Wales this June, using their service
to return from Shrewsbury. It looks like it wasn't meant to be - given
that other rail works (and hence bus replacements) that weekend will
also prevent me from travelling by train.

Grrr..

Does anybody know when the refurbished stock (or at least the DVTs) are
due to be ready?

peter

Shropshire Star - vote today Budstaff UK 1 August 9th 06 08:15 AM
Trains and bicycles in Italy JMG General 7 September 19th 04 02:41 AM
Trains and bicycles in Italy JMG Rides 7 September 19th 04 02:41 AM
Issues with folding bicycles on European trains? Tom Worthington UK 52 July 16th 04 06:47 PM
Issues with folding bicycles on European trains? Tom Worthington Australia 39 July 16th 04 06:47 PM