Sportsman saved by helmet. Makes you wonder how light a cycle helmetcould be and still work right.

Old July 23rd 14, 01:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Sportsman saved by helmet. Makes you wonder how light a cyclehelmet could be and still work right.

your reflexes are reflexes of a commatose pig

that said as Jobst would write...

DDDDDDDDDDDD
10 Hans Junkermann (Germany) @ 23min 2sec
31 Rolf Wolfschohl (Germany) @ 41min 44sec
52 Dieter Wiedemann (Germany) @ 1hr 6min
63 Herbert Wilde (Germany) @ 1hr 18min 11sec

GBGBGBGBGBGBGBG
62. Barry Hoban (Great Britain) @ 1hr 17min 29sec
69. Arthur Metcalfe (Great Britain) @ 1hr 22min 37sec
84 Colin Lewis (Great Britain) @ 1hr 59min 50sec

France
23

BELGIUM !
17

Italy
15

Spain
11

Suisse
8

Netherlands
6

Luxembourg
8

1. Roger Pingeon (France): 136hr 53min 50sec
2. Julio Jiménez (Spain) @ 3min 40sec
3. Franco Balmamion (Primavera-Italy) @ 7min 23sec
4. Désiré Letort (Bluets-France) @ 8min 18sec

http://goo.gl/ovT4XN

5. Jan Janssen (Holland) @ 9min 47sec
6. Lucien Aimar (France) @ s.t.
7. Felice Gimondi (Italy) @ 10min 14sec
8. Josef Huysmans (Belgium @ 16min 45sec
9. Raymond Poulidor (France) @ 18min 18sec
10. Fernando Manzaneque (Esperanza-Spain) @ 19min 22sec
11. Hans Junkermann (Germany) @ 23min 2sec
12. Willy Monty (Belgium) @ 23min 6sec
13. Frans Brands (Belgium) @ 25min 8sec
14. Cees Haast (Holland) @ 26min 23sec
15. Franco Bodrero (Primavera-Italy) @ 26min 30sec
16. Noël van Clooster (Diables Rouges-Belgium) @ 26min 40sec
17. José Samyn (Bleuets-France) @ 28min 42sec
18. Ginés García (Spain) @ 28min 56sec
19. André Bayssíere (Coqs de France) @ 29min 23sec
20. Johnny Schleck (Switzerland-Luxembourg) @ 32min 9sec
21. Henri Rabaute (Bleuets-France) @ 34min 42sec
22. Giancarlo Polidori (Primavera-Italy) @ 36min 4sec
23. Jean-Claude Lebaube (Coqs de France) @ 37min 23sec
24. Herman Van Springel (Belgium) @ 37min 54sec
25. Wim Schepers (Netherlands) @ 38min 15sec
26. Raymond Delisle (Coqs de France) @ 39min 29sec
27. Roberto Poggiali (Italy) @ 40min 3sec
28. Victor Van Schil (Diables Rouges-Belgium) @ 40min 36sec
29. Jan-Claude Theillière (Coqs de France) @ 40min 38sec
30. Gerben Karstens (Netherlands) @ 40min 46sec
31. Rolf Wolfschohl (Germany) @ 41min 44sec
32. Flaviano Vicentini (Italy) @ 45min 2sec
33. José-Manuel Lopez-Rodriquez (Spain) @ 46min 32sec
34. Ugo Colombo (Italy) @ 47min 10sec
35. Alfred Ruegg (Switzerland-Luxembourg) @ 49min 23sec
36. Raymond Mastrotto (Coqs de France) @ 50min 10sec
37. Georges Chappe (Bleuets-France) @ 50min 24sec
38. Jean Dumont (Coqs de France) @ 50min 51sec
39. Michel Grain (Coqs de France) @ 52min 28sec
40. Maurice Izier (Bluets-France) @ 52min 59sec
41. Ventura Diaz (Esperanza-Spain) @ 53min 20sec
42. Guido Reybrouck (Diables Rouges-Belgium) @ 55min 39sec
43. Paul In't Ven (Diables Rouges-Belgium) @ 56min 30sec
44. Pietro Scandelli (Primavera-Italy) @ 56min 43sec
45. Georges Vandenberghe (Belgium) @ 57min 49sec
46. André Foucher (France) @ 59min 41sec
47. Jozef Spruyt (Belgium) @ 1hr 2min 12sec
48. Angel Ibanez (Esperanza-Spain) @ 1hr 2min 19sec
49. Luis-Pedro Santamaria (Spain) @ 1hr 2min 34sec
50. Jesus Aranzabal (Esperanza-Spain) @ 1hr 2min 41sec
51. Willy In't Ven (Diables Rouges-Belgium) @ 1hr 4min 40sec
52. Dieter Wiedemann (Germany) @ 1hr 6min 21sec
53. Jean Monteyne (Diables Rouges-Belgium) @ 1hr 6min 49sec
54. Roger Swerts (Diables Rouges-Belgium) @ 1hr 9min 57sec
55. René Binggeli (Switzerland-Luxembourg) @ 1hr 10min 22sec
56. Jorge Marine (Esperanza-Spain) @ 1hr 12min 5sec
57. Christian Raymond (Bleuets-France) @ 1hr 15min 8sec
58. Ambrogio Portalupi (Primavera-Italy) @ 1hr 15min 33sec
59. Martin Van Den Bossche (Belgium) @ 1hr 15min 37sec
60. Walter Godefroot (Diables Rouges-Belgium) @ 1hr 16min 3sec
61. Claudio Michelotto (Primavera-Italy) @ 1hr 16min 48sec
64. Marino Basso (Primavera-Italy) @ 1hr 18min 14sec
65. Luciano Della Bona (Italy) @ 1hr 18min 21sec
66. Roger Milliot (Bleuets-France) @ 1hr 19min 45sec
67. Jos Van Der Vleuten (Netherlands) @ 1hr 20min 28sec
68. Giancarlo Ferretti (Italy) @ 1hr 21min 40sec
69. Arthur Metcalfe (Great Britain) @ 1hr 22min 37sec
70. Louis Pfenninger (Switzerland-Luxembourg) @ 1hr 25min 3sec
71. Huub Zilverberg (Netherlands) @ 1hr 29min 26sec
72. Raymond Riotte (France) @ 1hr 31min 59sec
73. Bernard Vifian (Switzerland-Luxembourg) @ 1hr 32min 33sec
74. José-Manuel Lasa (Esperanza-Spain) @ 1hr 34min 9sec
75. Hubertus Harings (Netherlands) @ 1hr 36min 6sec
76. Jo De Roo (Netherlands) @ 1hr 36min 13sec
77. Michel Jacquemin (Diables Rouges-Belgium) @ 1hr 40min 59sec
78. Paul Lemeteyer (France) @ 1hr 41min 44sec
79. Willy Spuhler (Switzerland-Luxembourg) @ 1hr 43min 11sec
80. Adriano Durante (Italy) @ 1hr 46min 38sec
81. Jean Stablinsky (France) @ 1hr 50min 7sec
82. Karl Brand (Switzerland-Luxembourg) @ 1hr 55min 6sec
83. Edouard Delberghe (France) @ 1hr 59min 36sec
84. Colin Lewis (Great Britain) @ 1hr 59min 50sec
85. Ramon Saez (Spain) @ 2hr 4min 26sec
86. Francis Blanc (Switzerland-Luxembourg) @ 2hr 5min 39sec
87. Mario Minieri (Italy) @ 2hr 7min 55sec
88. Jean-Pierre Genet (France) @ 2hr 21min 1sec

Old July 23rd 14, 02:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

https://www.google.com/#q=junkermann++bicycle
https://www.google.com/#q=wolfschol++bicycle
https://www.google.com/#q=wiedemann+bicycle
https://www.google.com/#q=wilde++bicycle
Old July 23rd 14, 02:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Tuesday, July 22, 2014 3:55:10 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 7/22/2014 5:42 PM, Andre Jute wrote:

On Tuesday, July 22, 2014 5:03:56 PM UTC+1, jbeattie wrote:

So, as I was writing this post, one of the secretaries tells me that one of my work-mates and bicycling cohort crashed descending in the parking garage -- maybe a 20 percent down slope with a steel drain grate half-way down. It rained today for the first time in a month (maybe), and it's slicker than sh** out there. He slipped on the drain grate and somehow went OTB, whacked his head, broke his helmet. He's going home for the day. I tried to convince him that he did not crash; that bicycling is absolutely safe; that his helmet did not help him in any way and that he was not hurt. It didn't work.

This all by way of saying, YMMV.

-- Jay Beattie

A lawyer crashing his bike heavily enough to have to knock off charging $350 an hour for the rest of the day must surely qualifies as a truth-inducing shock. So, did he really think the helmet saved him? Or was he just saying the trendy, Portland thing? Frank wants to know...

Andre Jute

Bill at only $350 an hour? Summer intern.

This is Portland. My cohort can only dream of East Coast rates -- particularly those charged by the silk stocking firms. We've made a life style choice -- or something. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVmq9dq6Nsg .

-- Jay Beattie.
Old July 23rd 14, 03:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Wednesday, July 23, 2014 2:14:05 AM UTC+1, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

Yeah. When I gave up a Madison Avenue job where the shareholders vied with each other to stroke me with earthly goodies so that the competition shouldn't grab me and I was universally beloved, at least to my face, by everyone else, in order to go live in the idyllic Irish countryside, nobody actually said I was nuts, for fear that I would take exception, but behind my back there was plenty of finger-twirling beside ears. Those guys all died of stress-related diseases in their thirties while with a little care I might make the normal three score and ten.

It's an awful lesson: if you give up the money for the lifestyle, you'll soon grow so bored that for a little excitement you'll have to take up cycling, a life-threatening sport.

0330am here. Off to catch the sunrise from a hill ten miles away. Wearing my helmet, just in case the early commuters are feeling especially pressed.

Andre Jute
Old July 23rd 14, 03:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 7/22/2014 7:40 PM, jbeattie wrote:

I don't know how he went OTB. This grate is right at a dog-leg in the driveway at the bottom of a steep pitch. His front wheel probably did wash out, or else he somehow lost control and got caught on the lip of the grate. I'll cross-examine him mercilessly when he returns to work.

This is a dangerous descent. It gets incredibly slick and lots of people have fallen. One guy broke his hip. The building put down some non-skid and has resurfaced the driveway two or three times in the last 20 years, but it has gotten slippery again. The grate is slippery too, and I take it really easy on wet days. I fell a long time ago and don't want to do it again now that I have become brittle.

This sounds like a place where it would be logical to walk the bike, no?

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old July 23rd 14, 04:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 23/07/14 05:18, Duane wrote:
On 7/22/2014 3:02 PM, Joe Riel wrote:
Duane writes:

On 7/22/2014 2:22 PM, Joe Riel wrote:
Duane writes:

Woman riding with us Sunday hit one of the stupid poles that mark bike
lanes. On this lane (about 5km long) they removed all but one. She
must have sided to the left a bit and it clipped her bar. Went down
sideways and landed on her back. You could hear her head smack the
tarmac for blocks. I didn't tell her that she wouldn't have hit her
head if it wasn't for the helmet. And no one remarked on whether
Frank somebody or other on some newsgroup somewhere would have been
displeased when she said that she was glad the helmet was cracked and
not her head. YMM indeed V.

A cracked helmet isn't indicative of much; helmets crack fairly easily
and don't dissipate significant energy doing so. The energy
dissipation
comes from crushing. How detectable is a crushed liner following an
impact? Has anyone seen the before/after of a helmet test?

Not sure how easily is fairly easily. I've had falls when the helmet
broke and falls when it didn't. I think it takes a pretty good
beating.

A crack suggests a tensile load. A possible cause of that is a bending
load, which puts the outer surface of the bent member [could be the
inner surface of the helmet] in tension.

I'd like to see an experiment that measures the typical impact that
*cracks* a helmet; what sort of accelerations is the headform subjected
to? It should be significantly lower than the pass/fail limit.
Somewhat indicative of the robustness of the helmet.

Hmmm. I'm not that familiar with Styrofoam but I thought tensile
strength was more of a factor for brittle materials. I work for a
company that among other things, does heat treatment using nitriding
systems and this is an issue when hardening steel. While I'm not a
metallurgist, I do design software based on their requirements.

I would have thought that Styrofoam was not that brittle and any cracks
would have been caused by compression induced stress.

Take a piece of styrofoam sheet and bend it. Note that it with crack
and break on the side under tensile stress before much compression takes
place on the other side.

It pulls apart fairly easily.

I think it needs reinforcement to make it more effective (so that it
might stay together and actually squash rather than break and fall
apart). Like concrete and epoxy resin, without reinforcement, it's
comparatively weak under tension.

--
JS
Old July 24th 14, 02:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Tuesday, July 22, 2014 7:54:29 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 7/22/2014 7:40 PM, jbeattie wrote:

I don't know how he went OTB. This grate is right at a dog-leg in the driveway at the bottom of a steep pitch. His front wheel probably did wash out, or else he somehow lost control and got caught on the lip of the grate. I'll cross-examine him mercilessly when he returns to work.

This is a dangerous descent. It gets incredibly slick and lots of people have fallen. One guy broke his hip. The building put down some non-skid and has resurfaced the driveway two or three times in the last 20 years, but it has gotten slippery again. The grate is slippery too, and I take it really easy on wet days. I fell a long time ago and don't want to do it again now that I have become brittle.

This sounds like a place where it would be logical to walk the bike, no?

Absolutely not. Walking is far more dangerous than bicycling. You know that.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old July 24th 14, 04:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_3_]

On 7/24/2014 9:49 AM, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

Coffee through the nose. lol

Old July 24th 14, 07:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 7/24/2014 9:49 AM, jbeattie wrote: On Tuesday, July 22, 2014 7:54:29
PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:

This sounds like a place where it would be logical to walk the bike, no?

Absolutely not. Walking is far more dangerous than bicycling. You

know that.

Good point. Sounds like it's time to outlaw walking. Why, if only ONE
life can be saved...!

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old July 24th 14, 09:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Thursday, July 24, 2014 7:39:20 PM UTC+1, Frank Krygowski sneers:

...it's time to outlaw walking. Why, if only ONE
life can be saved...!

....if that single life is the cost of the wrong attitude on the part of ideologues like Frank Krygowski trying to prove an entirely different point, it should be saved.

....if that single life is lost unnecessarily because someone is too slack to addressa an inequality in power between road users, it should be saved.

....if that single life is lost because of a hostile attitude by automobilists, it should be saved.

....if that single life is one of many hundreds that could be saved except for the obstructionism of ideologues like Frank Krygowski, it should be saved.

....if that single life is one that adds on to all the other single lives saved one by one, soon to make the population of a town, it should be saved.

You're not much good for anything, Krygowski, and you're not much good to anyone. You could volunteer to be the first life lost to your "policies", to make your point that lives don't matter. But of course you won't. Scum like you always want to prove your points by sacrificing the lives of others.

Andre Jute
Life is a moral right, not to be disposed of as careless statistics by callous wannabes like Frank Krygowski