Palo Alto Bicyclist Fires at Car - Kills Passenger

Old November 27th 04, 05:37 PM
Curtis CCR

Default Palo Alto Bicyclist Fires at Car - Kills Passenger

Bicyclist opens fire, killing one and injuring another

One man is dead and a woman injured after a bicyclist fired gunshots
into the victims' vehicle Friday evening in East Palo Alto.

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...icyclist27.DTL
Old November 27th 04, 06:17 PM

Curtis CR? writes:

Bicyclist opens fire, killing one and injuring another

One man is dead and a woman injured after a bicyclist fired gunshots
into the victims' vehicle Friday evening in East Palo Alto.

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...icyclist27.DTL

I doubt that the term "bicyclist" refers to riders who frequent
rec.bicycles, but rather "a man on a bicycle shot...". Such crimes
are relatively common in East Palo Alto. Unfortunately, a large
shopping centeris part of that town and an access to the trans-bay
Dumbarton bridge passes through the community, populated primarily by
Hispanics and formerly blacks. Most houses there, have barred windows
and doors.

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...+alto+shooting

Jobst Brandt

Old November 27th 04, 06:22 PM

Curtis CR? writes:

Bicyclist opens fire, killing one and injuring another

One man is dead and a woman injured after a bicyclist fired gunshots
into the victims' vehicle Friday evening in East Palo Alto.

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...icyclist27.DTL

I doubt that the term "bicyclist" refers to riders who frequent
rec.bicycles, but rather "a man on a bicycle shot...". Such crimes
are relatively common in East Palo Alto. Unfortunately, a large
shopping center is part of that town and an access to the transbay
Dumbarton bridge passes through the community. East Palo Alto is
populated primarily by Hispanics and formerly blacks. Most houses
there, have barred windows and doors. The town is not part of Palo
Alto and lies in a different county.

Old November 27th 04, 06:33 PM
psycholist

"Curtis CCR" wrote in message
om...
Bicyclist opens fire, killing one and injuring another

One man is dead and a woman injured after a bicyclist fired gunshots
into the victims' vehicle Friday evening in East Palo Alto.

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...icyclist27.DTL

I live in a very rural area and ride some extremely remote roads. This past
week I had a local resident tell me I need to be really careful 'cuz there
are some really crazy folks along some of these roads. He suggested I get a
concealed weapons permit and carry a gun. I thought about it. Then I
thought about how tough it is for me to control my middle finger when I have
an encounter with a misbehaving motorist. I'm afraid if I had a gun I'd be
doling out punishments that didn't fit the crime.

But I've sure wished I had a gun a few times when I've passed a trailer and
had an unleashed pit bull take after me.

Bob C.

Old November 27th 04, 07:31 PM
Matt O'Toole

psycholist wrote:

But I've sure wished I had a gun a few times when I've passed a
trailer and had an unleashed pit bull take after me.

To shoot the dog or the owner? :-)

I've never felt the need to be "packing" anything, but if you're so inclined you
might try pepper spray.

All bad dog encounters should be reported.

Matt O.

Old November 27th 04, 07:44 PM
psycholist

"Matt O'Toole" wrote in message
psycholist wrote:

But I've sure wished I had a gun a few times when I've passed a
trailer and had an unleashed pit bull take after me.

To shoot the dog or the owner? :-)

Well, in most dog encounters, I'd like to shoot the owner. When a pit bull
terrier is involved, you shoot the dog first ... or else.

I've never felt the need to be "packing" anything, but if you're so
inclined you
might try pepper spray.

I've got it and I've carried it, but I've never used it. By the time I
think to reach for it the encounter is usually history.

All bad dog encounters should be reported.

If I took the time to report every bad dog encounter here in the rural
county where I live, I wouldn't finish a ride. People out here feel it's
their right to let their dogs run free and it's part of their security
system. There are no leash laws here. If you ride in the city, suburbs or
nearby surrounding areas, you couldn't understand. It's different out here.
On the road where I live I have to do dog sprints every day. Fortunately,
I'm a good sprinter. I'd love to tell my neighbors how inconsiderate I
think they are for allowing their dogs to assault me. But I know them and
they're otherwise very good people. The dogs are their security and the
only one bothered by them is me. Rather than go to war with all my
neighbors, I deal with it. It's one of the trade-offs. Better that than
have another tangle with a teenage driver talking on a cell phone in the
city ... a situation that resulted in me being hospitalized for 8 days with
multiple serious injuries not long before I moved out here.

Bob C.

Old November 27th 04, 09:09 PM
Matt O'Toole

psycholist wrote:

If I took the time to report every bad dog encounter here in the rural
county where I live, I wouldn't finish a ride. People out here feel
it's their right to let their dogs run free and it's part of their
security system. There are no leash laws here. If you ride in the
city, suburbs or nearby surrounding areas, you couldn't understand.
It's different out here. On the road where I live I have to do dog
sprints every day. Fortunately, I'm a good sprinter.

No, we have the same problem around here. I live in town, but ride in the
surrounding rural areas which are as rural as anywhere else. Fortunately, our
county and most of the surrounding ones *do* have leash laws. Ours is not
actually a leash law, but says the dog must be under the owner's control at all
times. A "loose dog" is actually a misdemeanor, not a simple infraction like in
most places with leash laws.

I'd love to
tell my neighbors how inconsiderate I think they are for allowing
their dogs to assault me. But I know them and they're otherwise very
good people. The dogs are their security and the only one bothered
by them is me. Rather than go to war with all my neighbors, I deal
with it. It's one of the trade-offs.

These people do not need guard dogs running completely loose. If folks are that
paranoid, their dogs can run loose *inside a fence.*

There's no reason to go to war, but you don't have to be a complete doormat
either. If they're otherwise "good people" they should understand it's your
right, both natural and legal, to ride the road unmolested. Dogs are animals
and therefore have no such rights. Dog owners, by letting their dogs run loose,
are infringing on your rights. Also, do these people not care about their dogs,
which could be hit by cars? Letting dogs run loose is irresponsible and
inhumane.

We stop and talk, reasonably, to every one of these dog owners. But we do have
the law on our side around here, which I'm sure makes a difference.

Better that than have another
tangle with a teenage driver talking on a cell phone in the city ...
a situation that resulted in me being hospitalized for 8 days with
multiple serious injuries not long before I moved out here.

I had a serious dog mishap a few months ago. The biggest danger with a dog is
not actually being bitten, but having it get under your wheels and cause you to
crash at speed. You probably can't outsprint a dog that would cause you serious
harm anyway. I was going about 20 MPH when a dog came from behind and got under
my front wheel. It happened too quickly for me to react at all. I was not
seriously hurt, just some bad road rash and bruises (I still have the bruises).
But one of my best friends *was* seriously hurt in a practically identical crash
a couple of years ago. She's still undergoing reconstructive dental surgeries.

Matt O.

Old November 27th 04, 09:38 PM

psycholist writes:

Bicyclist opens fire, killing one and injuring another

One man is dead and a woman injured after a bicyclist fired gun
shots into the victims' vehicle Friday evening in East Palo Alto.

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...icyclist27.DTL

I live in a very rural area and ride some extremely remote roads.
This past week I had a local resident tell me I need to be really
careful 'cuz there are some really crazy folks along some of these
roads. He suggested I get a concealed weapons permit and carry a
gun. I thought about it. Then I thought about how tough it is for
me to control my middle finger when I have an encounter with a
misbehaving motorist. I'm afraid if I had a gun I'd be doling out
punishments that didn't fit the crime.

But I've sure wished I had a gun a few times when I've passed a
trailer and had an unleashed pit bull take after me.

And what do you believe you would do if you had a fire arm in any of
the situations you visualize? You must realize that the owner of such
a beast is also armed, more likely than you. His excuse would ring
more valid than yours, considering he could prove you discharged your
weapon before succumbing to his fire. This sounds like so much macho
talk. So how extremely remote and rural can it get? The way you tell
that I expect any time now you'll meet some guy and he'll say
"Dr. Livingston I presume." in the manner of the great jungle
explorer.

http://www.historywiz.com/primarysou...ivingstone.htm

Not the rock music group!

Jobst Brandt

Old November 27th 04, 10:13 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On 27 Nov 2004 09:37:07 -0800, (Curtis CCR)
wrote in message :

Bicyclist opens fire, killing one and injuring another

Damn! When was the last time a cager killed a cyclist? Oh, wait...

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Old November 27th 04, 10:35 PM
psycholist

And what do you believe you would do if you had a fire arm in any of
the situations you visualize? You must realize that the owner of such
a beast is also armed, more likely than you. His excuse would ring
more valid than yours, considering he could prove you discharged your
weapon before succumbing to his fire. This sounds like so much macho
talk.

And THIS sounds like you don't read well. The whole point of my post was to
say that I don't carry a gun 'cuz I can't imagine any good coming from me
carrying it. Geez Jobst ... go write a book or something. You often seem
to take what people say to extremes.

So how extremely remote and rural can it get? The way you tell
that I expect any time now you'll meet some guy and he'll say
"Dr. Livingston I presume." in the manner of the great jungle
explorer.

When Jane Fonda made her remarks about people living in tar-paper shacks ...
she was referring to places that weren't far from here. This is a VERY poor
county. And it's not too far downstream from where Deliverance was filmed.
It's not at all hard to fine extreme squalor. But it's also not hard to
find extreme beauty and isolation.

Bob C.